Albums of 2022

NotThePars

On 08/02/2022 at 12:53, betting competition said:

Listening to Black Country, New Road album Ants From Up There and on first listen it sounds fantastic. Seem to have Snow Globes on repeat at the moment which is a little like Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Aye, it’s very good. Wasn’t sure on first listen but it’s definitely won me over. ‘Snow Globes’ is, as you say, a stoater of a song.

Really enjoying the new Big Thief effort as well. For a 20-track album I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of filler.

Decent start to the year music wise in my opinion.

2 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

Aye, it’s very good. Wasn’t sure on first listen but it’s definitely won me over. ‘Snow Globes’ is, as you say, a stoater of a song.

Really enjoying the new Big Thief effort as well. For a 20-track album I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of filler.

Decent start to the year music wise in my opinion.

Big Thief’s record is like a different band.  I still think it’s bloated, but in parts it’s very, very good.  Black Country New Road sounds a bit like Black Midi in places, for good or for ill.  

From this year I'm enjoying Gregor Barnett (lead singer of the Menzingers) debut solo album, FTHC by Frank Turner and Dan Andriano & The Bygones album. Not sure if I've listened to many other new releases yet so far too premature to pull together a list.

So, what else is new? The one good thing about being terminally ill is that you have loads of time to listen to new music. Anyone who knows me knows that I love Animal Collective. The 10's was a very hit and miss decade with plusses for "Tangerine Reef" and "Ballet Slippers" but raspberries for "Painting With" and "Centipede HZ". The new decade seems to have injected a new lease of life into them though with first, the "Crestone" soundtrack and now "Time Skiffs" which really is a thing of beauty. Welcome back oddballs.

Now for the controversy. After being near damn obsessed with the first album, I have to say it's a no from me for the new Black Country New Road album. For me, only "Bread Song" and "Basketball Shoes" would make the first record. Looking forward to new ones by Keeley Forsyth and Huerco S.

On 23/02/2022 at 23:06, Jimi Shandrix said:

Now for the controversy. After being near damn obsessed with the first album, I have to say it's a no from me for the new Black Country New Road album. For me, only "Bread Song" and "Basketball Shoes" would make the first record. Looking forward to new ones by Keeley Forsyth and Huerco S.

I'm really enjoying it, different from the first record and not so much as in your face, loving concorde, good will hunting and especially The place where he inserted the blade that along with snow globes reminds me of Roger Waters Final Cut for some reason.

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

One of Scotland's great lost bands Butcher Boy release a best of on 22nd April. "You Had A Kind Face" features tracks from their 3 albums released between 2007 and 2011. The first two  "Profit In Your Poetry" and "React Or Die" are absolutely essential listening for anyone with a passing interest in The Smiths, Felt or Belle & Sebastian.  

On 23/02/2022 at 23:06, Jimi Shandrix said:

I just don't get Black Country New Road at all - they just seem like a bunch of nice posh English students on their gap year - I keep seeing them listed in polls way above their mates Black Midi who are in a different league entirely, imo.

Guid to see you posting, Jimi. 

On 01/03/2022 at 11:32, paranoid android said:

I just don't get Black Country New Road at all - they just seem like a bunch of nice posh English students on their gap year - I keep seeing them listed in polls way above their mates Black Midi who are in a different league entirely, imo.

Guid to see you posting, Jimi. 

Yes. To all of this.  I don’t get Black Midi either, though..

On 18/02/2022 at 15:57, Ex Machina said:

From this year I'm enjoying Gregor Barnett (lead singer of the Menzingers) debut solo album, FTHC by Frank Turner and Dan Andriano & The Bygones album. Not sure if I've listened to many other new releases yet so far too premature to pull together a list.

Pretty much the same new albums I've been listening too.

The new Nathan Gray album is a mix of decent and decidedly average, plus I'm also liking the new album by Wrest - End All Days - when I'm in the mood for a bit of Scottish melodic rock. 

17 hours ago, Nelly78 said:

Pretty much the same new albums I've been listening too.

The new Nathan Gray album is a mix of decent and decidedly average, plus I'm also liking the new album by Wrest - End All Days - when I'm in the mood for a bit of Scottish melodic rock. 

Love the Wrest album. Saw them on Friday at the launch at Oran Mor - great night that was. 

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

For me, one of the years most eagerly anticipated albums is "Versions Of Modern Performance" by Horsegirl out on Matador at the start of June. It's so funny that these kids are so obviously in thrall to the early 90's in the same way that in the early 90's I, and many others, were obsessed with anything from 1967. What goes around comes back around. 

For every Sonic Youth or R.E.M.  that emerged in the early 80's to go on to achieve great success, there was a hundred bands like The Stick Figures who released one  single and disappeared. These tracks and a few others that remained unreleased are finally getting  a wider release that they deserve. This was the A side and in my opinion it's a lost post punk gem.