Albums of 2022

NotThePars

I’m conflicted.

Could well be that the songs sound great live (like this one does here) but I can see where the dislike can arise from (especially Turners wanky on stage mannerisms).

Great performance there.

I don’t mind quirky mannerisms, often comes with the territory of proper talented folk.

As someone who wasn't much into the Arctic Monkeys in their first incarnation, I've found their last two albums much more interesting; this one doesn't seem as good as Tranquility Base though.

Arctic Monkeys have been horseshit for a decade now.

They really haven't.

Tranquility Base has certainly polarized listeners. Good I say. I don't want them doing the same dad rock shit all their career. Tranquility Base (75% of it anyway) is very good. There are three songs on it that are absolutely dire though (Monstertruck, She Looks Like Fun, Science Fiction) On the subject, their latest effort is very good. There isn't any weak songs on it, but lacks heavy-hitters you'd associate with a Monkeys record, apart from Mirrorball.

No idea where this hate comes from. The direction they have took is an interesting one, and they are selling out massive arenas around the world off the back of it. They aren't going back to singing about shagging models, drinking cider, and going on the piss anymore, which I have no idea why anyone of similar age wants them to do. They are nearly 40 ffs. 

AM also came out less than a decade ago. A total behemoth of an album. What a wild take to say they have been shit for a decade when they have released 2 of their most acclaimed albums in that time. Complete minter of a take in all honesty.

On 26/10/2022 at 09:57, DAFC. said:

The direction they have took is an interesting one, and they are selling out massive arenas around the world off the back of it. 

Their stadium tour sales are not even remotely impacted by their last two albums. They could have produced white noise since 2015 and would still be selling the same number of tickets - and that white noise would probably have more artistic value.

Yours is just the standard, edgy hipster take from the same clowns who used to claim that Humbug was the best of their first three albums, and that Josh Homme's 'contribution' was a chin-stroking act of genius. 

Complete minter of a take in all honesty.

See immediately above for the true minter, and then file your review under M for Minter while you're at it. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

They still sell tickets off the back of their first album.  It's not a good yardstick of how they they are in 2022. 

Not quite. 

Their first album was 2006 and there will certainly be those 30 - 45 year olds that were around for the debut but fell away but AM was massive for them in absolutely nailing them a completely fresh and younger fanbase. 

The streaming figures for AM smash the earlier stuff and for most of those new fans the earlier stuff is anchored around that particular time "Theres only music, so theres new ringtones" Top Shop Princesses and Smirnoff Ices. Probably doesn't hit the same as it did back then. 

Doing new stuff doesnt make them shit, they still made some cracking albums, you just dont like these particular ones and that's ok. 

Edited by mojito

If I was in a band we'd have an album called M For Minter.

Anyway, as someone who was 14 when the first Arctic Monkeys album came out and got bored of them after the subsequent EP and second album (and who thinks Mardy Bum is navel-gazing garbage), I feel I summed the band's second manner quite well on this very board:

On 08/09/2020 at 16:16, Miguel Sanchez said:

Someone will have to explain to me why the Arctic Monkeys became interesting. Is it because he has a quiff and a leather jacket nowadays?

1 hour ago, mojito said:

Doing new stuff doesnt make them shit, they still made some cracking albums, you just dont like these particular ones and that's ok. 

Doing new stuff that is shite makes it shite and no amount of passive streaming figures can cover that reality. 

Novelty does not swap out for quality. 

Just a heads up if anybody is interested...

Sault have released 5 albums today, they're available as free downloads on their website for 5 days.

Link here

You need a password to access the downloads. The password is "godislove".

Edited by Paul Kersey

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/09/2022 at 10:02, aDONisSheep said:

Agree with the Suede comments a bloody good album (assuming you like Suede, which I do)

I was a fan back in the day and still love the first two LPs but I didn't really like their 'comeback' albums.  Just felt like music that had had it's day.

Would you say this new one is a step up from 'Bloodsports' or 'Night Thoughts'?  Or along similar lines?

On 19/11/2022 at 22:09, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was a fan back in the day and still love the first two LPs but I didn't really like their 'comeback' albums.  Just felt like music that had had it's day.

Would you say this new one is a step up from 'Bloodsports' or 'Night Thoughts'?  Or along similar lines?

It's much closer to Bloodsports than Night Thoughts but is a step uo than the former IMHO. While it's a much rawer sound that they've kept in production, the closest analog from the back catalogue might well be Coming Up. 

I agree that the genre is pretty much dead on its arse but this is at least a proper rage against the dying of that light. 

• 2 weeks later...