Albums of 2022

NotThePars

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying the new Mars Volta album, first release in 10 or so years. 

Really quite different to most that has come before it in the catalogue (which for me is fine). It's 'gentle' but still full of lovely melodies and hooks, crisp as ever musicianship, and I don't think there's a song over 4.5mins.

Sports Team - Gulp just out and I added every track to my library after one listen (that is a rare occurrence).

Dentures Out by The Proclaimers is an angry, bitter, caustic, resentful and lovely album.  Middle aged FIRE 🔥.   

Agree with the Suede comments a bloody good album (assuming you like Suede, which I do)

Yours, three top albums in September, well I never!

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

2 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

Agree with the Suede comments a bloody good album (assuming you like Suede, which I do)

You don't actually need to be a fan of their previous work to enjoy it - there's parallels (in indie at least) with early Bloc Party and The Killers too. An excellent album and the extra B-sides would make a good half-album too. 

Their tour next year is going to be superb. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

You don't actually need to be a fan of their previous work to enjoy it - there's parallels (in indie at least) with early Bloc Party and The Killers too. An excellent album and the extra B-sides would make a good half-album too. 

Their tour next year is going to be superb. 

I saw that they are co-headlining with the Manic Street Preachers in America. For the first time I am vaguely jealous of America, because that would be excellent.

I am tempted to see Suede next year in Glasgow. 

Been a while since I've been on here. Best 10 this year for me so far are:

1. Yard Act - The Overload

2. Wet Leg - Wet Leg

3. Craig Finn - A Legacy Of Rentals

4. Gentle Sinners - These Actions Cannot Be Undone

5. Kathryn Joseph - For You Who Are The Wronged

6. Gang Of Youths - Angel In Realtime

7. Katy J Pearson - Sound Of The Morning

8. Just Mustard - Heart Under

9. Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl

10. Lee Bains & The Glory Fires - Old-Time Folks

All aboard the hype train for my top 2. The "new" 1990s album would be in the top 5 but it was recorded 10 years ago, so I suppose technically doesn't count. Honourable mentions for Joe Purdy, Danger Mouse & Black Thought and, very surprisingly, Paolo Nutini - if it wasn't about 3 or 4 songs too long, it would comfortably be in my top 10.

8 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Been a while since I've been on here. Best 10 this year for me so far are:

1. Yard Act - The Overload

2. Wet Leg - Wet Leg

3. Craig Finn - A Legacy Of Rentals

4. Gentle Sinners - These Actions Cannot Be Undone

5. Kathryn Joseph - For You Who Are The Wronged

6. Gang Of Youths - Angel In Realtime

7. Katy J Pearson - Sound Of The Morning

8. Just Mustard - Heart Under

9. Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl

10. Lee Bains & The Glory Fires - Old-Time Folks

All aboard the hype train for my top 2. The "new" 1990s album would be in the top 5 but it was recorded 10 years ago, so I suppose technically doesn't count. Honourable mentions for Joe Purdy, Danger Mouse & Black Thought and, very surprisingly, Paolo Nutini - if it wasn't about 3 or 4 songs too long, it would comfortably be in my top 10.

Craig Finn and Lee Bains - the latter by a mile - will be atop my year end.  I’m not quite as into The Beths as a lot of folk I know, but their new one is pretty great in places. 

23 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Craig Finn and Lee Bains - the latter by a mile - will be atop my year end.  I’m not quite as into The Beths as a lot of folk I know, but their new one is pretty great in places. 

I'm a big Beths fan, and don't think the newest one comes close to the others. There are still 3 or 4 really great tunes on there though.

• 2 weeks later...

Top 5 of the year so far for me

1. Spoon - Lucifer on the Sofa

2. Beach House - Once Twice Melody

3. Black Country, New Road - Ants from up Here

4. Hatchie - Giving the World Away

5. Denzel Curry - Melt my Eyez

Worst is toss up between Muse, Avril Lavigne and Twin Atlantic

17 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

We seriously showing no love for Blue Rev?

I've listened twice and it's not really grabbed me yet. I like them, but maybe it lacks the standout tracks that have reeled me into previous albums.