Albums of 2022

NotThePars

Great new releases from Brian Jonestown Massacre and Tess Parks last Friday. Both well worth a listen. Ever prolific, Anton Newcombe has already confirmed a further album release later this year. He's invited fans to download and colour in an album sleeve for the CD version. 

IMG_20220624_152313.jpg

IMG_20220624_142953.jpg

Edited by funky monkey

New Black Midi is out this week and  true to form is a hotchpotch of insanity. The usual mixture of Zappa, Mahavishnu with extra Andrew Lloyd Webber this time. For me it's the least arresting of the 3 so far but, you know, 2 listens is never enough to formulate an opinion. Still some marvellous stuff going on "Sugar/Tzu" , "Eat Men Eat" and "Still" come to mind straight off. Bits of it are pushing my prog buttons just a bit too much though. We'll see how it survives the rest of the year.

On 13/05/2022 at 16:44, Miguel Sanchez said:

Probably telling that I only remembered this went on sale today about ten minutes ago and it looks like two sections of the Hydro are sold out for this.

5.thumb.png.422f3be1acdd5c13e6e831caa8059a75.png

£10 of fees! An extra £6 for a physical ticket which mugs/luddites like me will pay out of sheet stubbornness! Not even counting delivery costs.

I've not seen them in two albums and they put on a show, I'm telling myself that. 

A bump on this following an interesting development spotted on a mailing list this morning. This is for their Birmingham show on the same tour:

ARCADE FIRE - THE “WE” TOUR
Utilita Arena Birmingham
Friday 2 September 2022
Price from £37.80

(Incl service fee)
+ £2.95 admin fee per order
+ £1 postage fee

EXTRA TICKETS We have just released £37.80 tickets due to demand - they won't be around for long!!

So a combination of the venue/tour managers are clearly price gouging the f**k out of people, as shown by the demand for non-extortionate tickets and fees suddenly being made good when the originals weren't selling!

After a couple of years of well-merited sympathy, it's good to see the live music industry revert to type. 

58 minutes ago, virginton said:

A bump on this following an interesting development spotted on a mailing list this morning. This is for their Birmingham show on the same tour:

So a combination of the venue/tour managers are clearly price gouging the f**k out of people, as shown by the demand for non-extortionate tickets and fees suddenly being made good when the originals weren't selling!

After a couple of years of well-merited sympathy, it's good to see the live music industry revert to type. 

I got one from Tickets Scotland and it's not arrived yet. Wonder if I can get a refund.

I did see the other day that the Libertines are having similar problems trading on their own past glories for their Wembley Arena gig. With the cost of fuel and food ready to shoot up I can see large venues having some interesting price fluctuations over the next 18 months.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I got one from Tickets Scotland and it's not arrived yet. Wonder if I can get a refund.

I did see the other day that the Libertines are having similar problems trading on their own past glories for their Wembley Arena gig. With the cost of fuel and food ready to shoot up I can see large venues having some interesting price fluctuations over the next 18 months.

Just checked and the same cut-price tickets (seated mind you) are available for the Hydro gig as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lee Bains and the Glory Fires’ new record Old-Time Folks was released today. It’s very different from Youth Detention, and includes a piano ballad, but it’s just incredible. Those guys can do no wrong by my ear. Recommended to fans of Drive By Truckers or Wilco. 

A good year for Animal Collective enthusiasts. "Time Skiffs" released in the first few weeks of the year remains one of the year's best and comfortably their best studio album since "Merriweather..." Now the 12th August sees the release of "Reset" by Panda Bear ably assisted by the legend that is Sonic Boom. There's only been two tracks released off it so far but both are fantastic, especially the mesmeric "Edge Of The Edge" which would easily find a home on the classic "Person Pitch" album. After the frankly dull "...Meets The Grim Reaper" and "Buoys", "Reset" is hinting at something  more akin to the aforementioned "Person Pitch" or "Tomboy". One can only hope.

On 17/07/2022 at 00:24, Jimi Shandrix said:

New Black Midi is out this week and  true to form is a hotchpotch of insanity. The usual mixture of Zappa, Mahavishnu with extra Andrew Lloyd Webber this time. For me it's the least arresting of the 3 so far but, you know, 2 listens is never enough to formulate an opinion. Still some marvellous stuff going on "Sugar/Tzu" , "Eat Men Eat" and "Still" come to mind straight off. Bits of it are pushing my prog buttons just a bit too much though. We'll see how it survives the rest of the year.

Yep - the new BM album is very good, but I'm afraid it isn't doing much for me, so I'm a bit disappointed, sadly - I sort of saw it coming as I felt the same about the early singles, and had heard bits and bobs of live stuff.

The production is good, but Geordie's vocals aren't deranged enough, and Cam's voice is just weak.

I think it's probably the songs as well, though - just not doing anything for me.

I mean there's nothing really wrong with it - the fanbase are largely delirious over it - if there was a category for 'best drums on an album', Morgan Simpson would probably win it.

I reckon Simpson and Greep could be the future of music if they wanted to - sadly, I don't think they want to. ::(

On 05/08/2022 at 13:54, Savage Henry said:

Lee Bains and the Glory Fires’ new record Old-Time Folks was released today. It’s very different from Youth Detention, and includes a piano ballad, but it’s just incredible. Those guys can do no wrong by my ear. Recommended to fans of Drive By Truckers or Wilco. 

Sounds good on the first listen, really like Done Playing Dead

On 16/08/2022 at 13:54, betting competition said:

Sounds good on the first listen, really like Done Playing Dead

It’s sensational.  It’ll be my end of year favourite and it won’t be close.  It’s been a very long time since I’ve enjoyed an album as much as this one.  Battle of Atlanta is my favourite, but most of the songs are catchy as heck.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Julia Jacklin's new one. It's her, what, third record now? You know what you're getting - nothing groundbreaking but an enjoyable, solid 7/10, album. On that Australian theme: I've not had a chance to listen to Stella Donnelly's album yet. I couldn't get back into the first single after initially liking it, but I really liked "How Was Your Day?".

The Danger Mouse & Black Thought effort is next on my list.

Think I've seen announcements of new albums from both The Orielles and The Beths. So that's a couple to look forward to. And the new Arctic Monkeys single has got me quite excited for The Car.

35 minutes ago, yoda said:

I like Julia Jacklin's new one. It's her, what, third record now? You know what you're getting - nothing groundbreaking but an enjoyable, solid 7/10, album. On that Australian theme: I've not had a chance to listen to Stella Donnelly's album yet. I couldn't get back into the first single after initially liking it, but I really liked "How Was Your Day?".

The Danger Mouse & Black Thought effort is next on my list.

Think I've seen announcements of new albums from both The Orielles and The Beths. So that's a couple to look forward to. And the new Arctic Monkeys single has got me quite excited for The Car.

Donnelly, Jacklin and Ezra Furman all out last Friday, helluva week.

All worth listening to - Donnelly's the pick of them for me but then I'm a massive fanboy so I would think that. A good deal mellower and more understated than the first one, maybe her personality comes across less forcefully, but ultimately I think the songs are better.

Jacklin's isn't quite as good as Crushing, for me, but that's not really a criticism, it says more about how good Crushing is. Furman is best appreciated live.