Albums of 2022

NotThePars

On 20/04/2022 at 15:07, BornOffside said:

Have been enjoying the new Kae Tempest album the past couple weeks, which I've enjoyed.  But the big one for me is the new Fontaines DC album "Skinty Fia" that is out on Friday. Cannae wait.

Tempest's album is great. I'm listening to it now. Gonna book a ticket for their gig in Dundee in June.

The Fontaines DC album is a bit too predictable. It's good within it's own narrow sphere, but almost instantly forgettable. 

Dogrel was excellent. Perhaps some serious downtime and a renewed creativity before the next one, otherwise I can see them burning out very quickly. 

6 hours ago, funky monkey said:

The Fontaines DC album is a bit too predictable. It's good within it's own narrow sphere, but almost instantly forgettable. 

Dogrel was excellent. Perhaps some serious downtime and a renewed creativity before the next one, otherwise I can see them burning out very quickly. 

Yeah, i’d agree with that. I really like the opening track on the new album but it doesn’t really go anywhere after that. It’s all a bit one-paced and the remaining songs all kind of blend into 40 mins of meh.

Hands up any Belle & Sebastian fans who made it past the first three tracks on the new album. Simply baffling that this could be the same band that came up with "Tigermilk".

Just pretend they’ve already disbanded and the last decade or so didn’t happen.

I saw them just after Girls in Peacetime came out and it was really telling that they only played one song from that album, that night.

5 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

I'd go with two decades. I know some would be harsher and say two and a half, but I liked The Boy With ... and Fold Your Hands Child.

Thought I'd give the new one a go since I have the chance to see them at Doune in July. First track was at least listenable if unexciting, but it went quickly downhill from there.

Edited by Yoss

On 07/05/2022 at 19:30, Jimi Shandrix said:

Hands up any Belle & Sebastian fans who made it past the first three tracks on the new album. Simply baffling that this could be the same band that came up with "Tigermilk".

It’s like ABBA doing an album of yacht rock covers produced by Rick Rubin.  Truly awful.   I think I’m done with them.

On 08/05/2022 at 08:47, Internet Citizen said:

I saw them just after Girls in Peacetime came out and it was really telling that they only played one song from that album, that night.

I'll go against the grain here. Been a fan since Tigermilk and saw them live a few times. It is overproduced, but I like it, the songwriting is good as are the arrangements. Surely, after a quarter of a century, would be harsh and unrealistic to expect them to put out something of the quality of Tigermilk? I see it as a wee bit of a return to form, no filler, better than they've produced for some time now. 

Edited by funky monkey

I can scarcely believe my luck. What should pop up on today's new feeds but another, yes another, new Black Midi album. "Hellfire" is out on July 15th. This is the first single. For me, it's not as immediate as "John L" was for "Cavalcade" but I watched it with a big gloopy grin on my chops nonetheless. Welcome back you mad fucking b*****ds.

37 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I can scarcely believe my luck. What should pop up on today's new feeds but another, yes another, new Black Midi album. "Hellfire" is out on July 15th. This is the first single. For me, it's not as immediate as "John L" was for "Cavalcade" but I watched it with a big gloopy grin on my chops nonetheless. Welcome back you mad fucking b*****ds.

I was just coming to post that. Love it. Song of the year so far. (Though Stella Donnelly has a new one coming tomorrow, so y'know.)

On 06/05/2022 at 04:39, SweeperDee said:

Arcade Fire’s new album is out now.

Lovely album, really sincere and stripped back compared to EN, but it won’t be anywhere near AoTY.

Thought this was awful, so boring and generic 

Sorry, yeah the whole album. That's unfair probably, i mean it's not actively bad... Just think it's boring/just not a development of anything else they've done.

I was listening to it wondering how they mustered the enthusiasm to work on it, lyrically all the preoccupations seem exactly the same as ever l, I just imagine the ones who don't write the songs rolling their eyes in the rehearsal room and counting down to getting their paycheck.

The album or that particular song? Wouldn’t say it’s generic or awful but it’s not their best I will say that. Still enjoy it!

This album feels like they’re trying to recapture what they had in the first 3 albums and it doesn’t quite hit. It’s not bad, and I enjoy it enough, but it’s a bit too sentimental imo.

Tour tickets come out this week, so I’ll look forward to that.

18 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

They are completely mad. Great video. Great tune.