Albums of 2022

NotThePars

"Consumed" by Plastikman was originally released in 1998 and, if you like that sort of thing (I do), was as good as it gets. Fast forward 24 years and the whole album has been re-imagined by Plastikman and Chilly Gonzales as "Consumed In Key". Whilst there will be some who will turn their nose up at such tinkering, I think it serves to remind us of the original album's brilliance whilst also bringing some new colours to the pallet.  It's out now. Give it a listen.

I gave the Wet Leg debut album a spin but I couldn't quite get into it. Seemed a bit too home counties studenty for my liking...

I'll probably give it another chance before dismissing it completely.

Edited by Paul Kersey

15 hours ago, Paul Kersey said:

I gave the Wet Leg debut album a spin but I couldn't quite get into it. Seemed a bit too home counties studenty for my liking...

I make no grand claims for it, it's nothing groundbreaking or anything. But I like it. Their sense of enjoyment in it is infectious.

I've just got my mitts on Air, Sault's latest release.

I've only listened to the first couple of tracks so far and I'm not sure what to make of it. It's a bit of a departure from what they've released before. It's kinda orchestral, like a Morricone movie soundtrack.

It's good, but not exactly what I expected.

Edited by Paul Kersey

On 13/04/2022 at 17:29, Paul Kersey said:

Not good. Reminded me of The Ting Tings in places. But worse. 

On 14/04/2022 at 08:58, Yoss said:

I make no grand claims for it, it's nothing groundbreaking or anything. But I like it. Their sense of enjoyment in it is infectious.

It’s odd.  They are so demure live, to the point that it’s almost contrived.    They drew unreal sized crowds at SxSW last month.  Did nothing for me, personally, but they’ve certainly tapped into something.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s odd.  They are so demure live, to the point that it’s almost contrived.    They drew unreal sized crowds at SxSW last month.  Did nothing for me, personally, but they’ve certainly tapped into something.

Just had another listen to see if I was missing something. No, it's still dreadful. Nice dresses is about the best I can manage. I too love Little House On The Prairie.

Have been enjoying the new Kae Tempest album the past couple weeks, which I've enjoyed.  But the big one for me is the new Fontaines DC album "Skinty Fia" that is out on Friday. Cannae wait.

Edited by BornOffside

I don't mind the Wet Leg album. It won't be in my top ten of the year. But I liked most of the singles. It's disposable fun indie rock and that's okay. 

I don't get the hate; it's very inoffensive stuff.

Edited by yoda

On 19/04/2022 at 16:49, Savage Henry said:

They are so demure live, to the point that it’s almost contrived.    

I think they're still at the stage of being a bit bemused by the whole thing.

On 11/02/2022 at 22:55, Stevo84 said:

Spoons new album Lucifer on the sofa is fantastic. They never out a bad album out and this one is perhaps one of the best they have ever done.

One of the few contemporary groups I have time for although I'm trying to listen to the top 500 singles from every year between 1960 and 2020 (I'm at 2004, 20,000 songs deep at this point) so it'll probably still be a while before I get round to listening to it.

Good to hear positive news about it though - they took long enough to put it out!

10 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

New albums from Charlie Simpson and Fontaines D.C. today. Enjoyed both and imagine both will still be up there for me at the end of the year.

Fontaines DC better than the last one?  Loved their first, but the second felt rushed. 

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Fontaines DC better than the last one?  Loved their first, but the second felt rushed. 

I would say so. Similarly, I was a big fan of the first but didn't enjoy their second album. The sound is still a departure from Dogrel but better put together this time round IMO.

10 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

New Pusha T. 

Just to add. This album is half produced by Kanye West and the other half by Pharrell. Truly an album you can appreciate the production even if you're not a big fan of rap. The samples on track 3 and 5 are incredible. 5 in particular is actually incredible by modern rap standards.