Arbroath v Darvel

1320Lichtie

6 hours ago, stan3600 said:

4 goals in 2 games for us. emoji23.png

3 against Darvel though, we'll see how he does against Hibs (really hope he scores a goal or 3 past them too btw), that's the level of team he has to perform and score against for us, just now anyway.

May well be how Arbroath set up suits him better than at Livi, having others do the work for him? Martindale sets his team up for Hamilton having to chase down balls and press defenders, and he isn't very good at it, no denying he's a natural finisher but we'd need to change how we play for that to best suit Hamilton's style.

22 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

The only other person I've seen try the short passes out the back and persist with it even though it causing all kinds of problems is Peter Grant.

I can now see why Darvel are not scooshing that league.

I’m sure Forfar tried it as well 

It seems to be the “on trend” tactic that is being coached at the moment. Even my 11 year old son’s team do it - at goal kicks, the full backs drop wide and very deep, to pretty much the goal line. The goalkeeper passes to one of them and there then follows a period of panicky passes around the back before the opposition score or one of the defenders lumps it up the park or out of play in panic. It very occasionally works but if your playing a team with high energy that presses, then it’s a very dangerous tactic.

There were a few times yesterday when that exact thing happened and the defender ended up blootering it anywhere in panic. Teams like Man City can do it as they have the players to execute it but it doesn’t really work when your full backs have limited footballing ability and a lack of calmness.

I think it’s a tactic that will disappear fairly soon. I suppose teams think it’s a way of getting guaranteed possession from a goal kick but that means nothing if you’re on the back foot immediately, in a very dangerous area.

Not suggesting teams should launch it up the park but the defence needs pushed 20 yards further up.

Edited by Tattie36

On 20/01/2022 at 11:06, Tattie36 said:

Would love to see us start with the usual back 5 then Low, Henderson/C Hamilton, Stewart and McKenna in midfield with Hamilton and Wighton up front.

Bring on Linn after 60 to run at a tiring defence, and any 2 of Donnelly/Hilson/Gold/Craigen/Swankie at some point.

Can’t see it but it would be exciting.

Hate quoting myself but even I was surprised that we went with this exact starting lineup and subs (minus Low obviously).

Another positive point to note from Saturday was that all 3 goals were setup by attacking players - superb play and pass from Wighton for the first; Bobby turning their defence inside oot for number 2 and a combination of Linn and Donnelly for number 3. Keep doing that and laying them on a plate for Hamilton and we’ll see a plenty of goals as he’s a natural finisher.