Arbroath v Darvel

1320Lichtie

15 minutes ago, happy said:

Aye, and your team were lucky to get out of Auchinleck with a draw.☺

Hard place to go in a Scottish cup game no doubt but the replay showed there was a million miles between the teams 

If we were down at Darvel I’d be a bit more wary 

Think Inverness are the only team to have beat us at home all season. And Queen of the South too in 2021. Lost twice at home in a year

It would be some upset

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hard place to go in a Scottish cup game no doubt but the replay showed there was a million miles between the teams 

If we were down at Darvel I’d be a bit more wary 

Think Inverness are the only team to have beat us at home all season. And Queen of the South too in 2021. Lost twice at home in a year

It would be some upset

That's you summed up cup fitba.We all love an underdog striving to do a Berwick or a Clyde.

4 hours ago, happy said:

That's you summed up cup fitba.We all love an underdog striving to do a Berwick or a Clyde.

With a clear head and with the game still a few days away I’m feeling quite good.... I’ll be nervous by the time Saturday rolls around though 

£17 is a bit steep, especially when folk are counting the pennies after Christmas. Just my personal opinion but I would have like to have seen something like £12 and £6 to try and get the place packed. I might be wrong though and we still may get a healthy crowd. 

Give Antell, Bobby, Gold, Swankie, Hilson and Craigen starts/game time. Let Jack and Wighton start as well to help them gel. If we do have a comfortable lead then get our “better” players subbed off pronto 

Edited by lichtie23

Arbroath’s recent record in cup knockout rounds (ie apart from League Cup group stages) is fairly abysmal.  Apart from a very few rare highlights (draw at Parkhead and the same in the replay -except for being robbed by the referee), what sticks in the mind is the upsets (Spartans, Irvine M, Aberdeen A) and just poor results (eg lower league Falkirk last season). So given the Cup is an entirely different kettle of fish, I would be a bit wary of expecting any comfortable passage into a more lucrative next round.    The Cups are only area in which our superb management team (and groups of players) has underperformed.  Forgivable and you could trot out the argument about dispensing with distractions to concentrate on the League

….but, apart from basic pride in performance, something to be said for keeping a winning mentality and momentum going plus of course the chance to earn a decent payday if we get through.  Since I’d imagine our part-time players would generally be keen on playing every weekend, I’d be tempted to keep the tinkering to modest proportions, rest anyone with minor knocks etc (plus maybe Nicky Low just back) but keep unchanged much of the first choice team in place with a sprinkling of adjustments to give game time to some that need it.  Darvel are no mugs and with plenty of experienced pros in their ranks, not such a stretch to get a result at Gayfield where our performances and especially results this season have not been as good as our away form (for the usual reasons that the away teams set up to be solid rather than expansive.   It would be great to see a good, noisy crowd in and a spectacle (of the worthwhile variety) plus no injuries.

Edited by Farflung

4 hours ago, Farflung said:

Arbroath’s recent record in cup knockout rounds (ie apart from League Cup group stages) is fairly abysmal.  Apart from a very few rare highlights (draw at Parkhead and the same in the replay -except for being robbed by the referee), what sticks in the mind is the upsets (Spartans, Irvine M, Aberdeen A) and just poor results (eg lower league Falkirk last season). So given the Cup is an entirely different kettle of fish, I would be a bit wary of expecting any comfortable passage into a more lucrative next round.    The Cups are only area in which our superb management team (and groups of players) has underperformed.  Forgivable and you could trot out the argument about dispensing with distractions to concentrate on the League

….but, apart from basic pride in performance, something to be said for keeping a winning mentality and momentum going plus of course the chance to earn a decent payday if we get through.  Since I’d imagine our part-time players would generally be keen on playing every weekend, I’d be tempted to keep the tinkering to modest proportions, rest anyone with minor knocks etc (plus maybe Nicky Low just back) but keep unchanged much of the first choice team in place with a sprinkling of adjustments to give game time to some that need it.  Darvel are no mugs and with plenty of experienced pros in their ranks, not such a stretch to get a result at Gayfield where our performances and especially results this season have not been as good as our away form (for the usual reasons that the away teams set up to be solid rather than expansive.   It would be great to see a good, noisy crowd in and a spectacle (of the worthwhile variety) plus no injuries.

9 wins 

10 draws 

2 defeats 

at Gayfield in calendar year. Draws include games against Dundee, Hearts, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Raith, Inverness in there

2 defeats to Inverness and Queen of the South 

We’ve beaten everyone else. That’s still a good home record. Our away form is just frighteningly good and always has been under the Campbells

I hope for a good crowd too. I don’t know what to expect cause obviously not on the season book and Darvel might not sound very exciting to some but with not being able to go to Gayfield properly since the Morton game maybe that’ll boost it a bit

Cant wait to get in again 

49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

9 wins 

10 draws 

2 defeats 

at Gayfield in calendar year. Draws include games against Dundee, Hearts, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Raith, Inverness in there

2 defeats to Inverness and Queen of the South 

We’ve beaten everyone else. That’s still a good home record. Our away form is just frighteningly good and always has been under the Campbells

I hope for a good crowd too. I don’t know what to expect cause obviously not on the season book and Darvel might not sound very exciting to some but with not being able to go to Gayfield properly since the Morton game maybe that’ll boost it a bit

Cant wait to get in again 

As you say, our away form has been arguably more impressive than our home form. More defeats but more superb wins.

Didn’t stop us losing to Aberdeen’s kids though. Wrong lineup, wrong attitude.

Strongest team available for Saturday please.

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

As you say, our away form has been arguably more impressive than our home form. More defeats but more superb wins.

Didn’t stop us losing to Aberdeen’s kids though. Wrong lineup, wrong attitude.

Strongest team available for Saturday please.

Think that just was not our day at all. Just one of them 

But I would play a strong attacking team 

Purely for entertainment purposes

Linn, Low, Wighton, Hamilton, Stewart and hopefully plenty of action going forward 

eta - forgot McKenna 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Would love to see us start with the usual back 5 then Low, Henderson/C Hamilton, Stewart and McKenna in midfield with Hamilton and Wighton up front.

Bring on Linn after 60 to run at a tiring defence, and any 2 of Donnelly/Hilson/Gold/Craigen/Swankie at some point.

Can’t see it but it would be exciting.

Don’t think we were lucky to get out of auchinleck with a draw. We did not deserve to lose that game one bit and we didn’t really turn up. Rectified it in the replay by trouncing them.

Not sure about tomorrow, would be inclined to start all players who haven’t been playing recently. 

6 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Jings Billy big baws…..I’m shitting Banks o Dee.

Yes we're on a hiding to nothing like yourselves, we both should win but you never know what will happen plenty of past cup upsets to back that up. Like you i'm still pretty wary about this game.

32 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

Jings Billy big baws…..I’m shitting Banks o Dee.

Aye imagine being confident in my team who sit 4 points clear at the top of the championship against a team from tier 6 in the Scottish pyramid. It’s madness