Arbroath v Darvel

1320Lichtie

No thread?

Finally back into the football with an intriguing cup tie. 

After watching the game against Brechin live and the highlights of the replay... we really should be winning this convincingly and turning them over at home.  Looked a very poor game of football between 2 poor teams. But..... this is the Cup and you just never know. 

Hopefully a half decent home crowd in and I’d hope for a very good away support its one of them where you’d expect everyone and their dug to turn up. Darvel seem to be quite new to the set up and the cup after just getting some investment into their club recently I think? Will this be their biggest ever game? I could be wrong? 

Gaston 

JT

Little 

ToB

Hammy 

New midfielder TBA

Nicky Low

Michael McKenna 

Bobby Linn

Craig Wighton 

Jack Hamilton 

Is the team I would like to see. Mix it up a bit and get some more game time for Low, Wighton and Jamilton. Get McKenna back in after missing yesterday and I always love seeing Bobby on the park in games like this. 

16 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

I think he will change it up a bit,

Antell

Gold
Henderson
ToB
Hammy

Linn
Mckenna
Low
Craigen

Donnelly
Hamilton

Is Wighton allowed to play?
Wouldn't be surprised to see swankie play a part too

Yeah Wighton was an unused sub for Dunfermline he can play 

I think he will change it up a bit,

Antell

Gold
Henderson
ToB
Hammy

Linn
Mckenna
Low
Craigen

Donnelly
Hamilton

Is Wighton allowed to play?
Wouldn't be surprised to see swankie play a part too

I hope not. I think it’s important to keep our momentum with a solid cup win and maybe make some money in the next round - or just win it. [emoji16] Not too many changes please. 45 minutes for Low. Wighton and Jack together. McKenna back.

I would like us to take this game very seriously and would therefore start with the same 11 as Saturday apart from McKenna in for Donnelly. Try and put the game to bed by half time and then change things.

Bring on Wighton and Gold or Craigen for the second half (depending on how the score is) and I would love to see Bobby Linn come on to run at a tiring defence after 50-60 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I would like us to take this game very seriously and would therefore start with the same 11 as Saturday apart from McKenna in for Donnelly. Try and put the game to bed by half time and then change things.

Bring on Wighton and Gold or Craigen for the second half (depending on how the score is) and I would love to see Bobby Linn come on to run at a tiring defence after 50-60 minutes. 

If you don't you will have a problem. Darvel are made up of mostly ex SPFL players aka mercenaries 😉 and, in all seriousness, based on recent results will give you big lads a game. They've even beaten the mighty Talbot this season! I know, right?

Edited by jimbaxters

49 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

If you don't you will have a problem. Darvel are made up of mostly ex SPFL players aka mercenaries 😉 and, in all seriousness, based on recent results will give you big lads a game. They've even beaten the mighty Talbot this season! I know, right?

I have seen their team recognise all of their players who have played in the league and to me they seem like a Poundland version of Kelty 

We should have too much 

Auchinleck at Gayfield we won 3-0 and it was a glorified training session for us 2 year ago and were a much better team right now 

There is a real danger here if we think we can just turn up, play fringe players and win this comfortably. We should but that doesn’t mean we will.

IMO we have to play as strong a team as is available, at least until the game is won. A poor result here could knock the stuffing out of us.

I’m sure the management team will have learned a big lesson from the debacle v Aberdeen B in the Challenge cup earlier this season.

Even though we had enough chances to win 3 games comfortably and hit the woodwork 4 times, we lost on penalties to a team of kids that had one attempt on target during the 90 and scored.

We went into that game in good form but rested a lot of our best players, appeared to have the wrong attitude and lost.

Even though it was a freak game and freak result, these things can happen if you approach a game with the wrong attitude.

Normally I'm well up for the cup but there's a much bigger picture to look at now.

Any players in need of a break should get one and get some minutes in for Henderson, Gold, Swankie, Hilson and Wighton.

Darvel have some players that have played at a decent level but they're playing absolute dreck every other week and it's nearly impossible for that not to damage the sharpness of a player.

By the way, £17 seems a bit steep for this.

Edited by Lichtielegend

Hopefully the players remember Aberdeen B....

Getting into the last 16 hopefully throws up a lucrative tie and then the chance to get to the quarters.

Darvel will be up for this and have a decent, noisy crowd behind them.

4 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Hopefully the players remember Aberdeen B....

Getting into the last 16 hopefully throws up a lucrative tie and then the chance to get to the quarters.

Darvel will be up for this and have a decent, noisy crowd behind them.

They'll only sing about hating Talbot.

7 hours ago, Lichtielegend said:

Any players in need of a break should get one and get some minutes in for Henderson, Gold, Swankie, Hilson and Wighton.

Darvel have some players that have played at a decent level but they're playing absolute dreck every other week and it's nearly impossible for that not to damage the sharpness of a player.

It won't happen but if DC goes into the match with this type of attitude then he's a fool. Darvel are nae mugs.

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

It won't happen but if DC goes into the match with this type of attitude then he's a fool. Darvel are nae mugs.

I'm sure they're not mugs and we will treat them with respect but there's no reason for us to be going into this game intimidated by their squad.

8 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Of course they’re not nobody is. But all we can go off is the fact that Forfar are a mile ahead of Brechin. Our game v Forfar was no contest. And all we have seen of them is their games against Brechin, which was really poor stuff from both teams