No BBC license fee from 2027

Lofarl

The BBC could make a fortune monetising Iplayer and their web services internationally but the Government ban them from doing so as it would apparently be unfair competition for the likes of Sky, Amazon Prime and Netflix. A core radio and TV service with a bigger local element funded by general taxation and supervised by an independent body without Government interference, alongside optional paid for channels and iplayer access might be the way to go.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

It’s not being scrapped, it’s just the funding model that’s being changed. 

If it was paid for out of general taxation, your comparison with the NHS might not fall at the first hurdle.

The landscape now is such that paying for it out of general taxation would only make it worse, not better.

So it will need to be a subscription model and it will need to improve to attract enough subscribers. 

Agree with your first paragraph.

But the funding model will impact on content. 

Don't understand your comment on general taxation and why only a subscription model would work. That seems like a massive leap without any arguments. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

No idea. It used to be fairly common when I was a student back in the late ‘90s. I just ignored the letters. Chances of me or my flat mates answering the door were pretty remote.

Just reminded me of one of the first letters I got when I moved to student halls.  There I was, having left my mum's house for the first time as an independent adult, only to find it was for a TV licence.  BBC attempting to get twenty odd separate licences from students living in the same single building. 

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Agree with your first paragraph.

But the funding model will impact on content. 

Don't understand your comment on general taxation and why only a subscription model would work. That seems like a massive leap without any arguments. 

Yes the funding model will impact on content. Good. Tough. 

Funding the BBC via general taxation now makes it less independent and creates zero incentive for it to adapt and improve. All it does is give it a safety net for getting worse. 

And it means people have just as much right to have a pop at it. Why should general taxation pay for what is a non government commercial entity. Should tax really be taken from all to pay for Strictly Come Dancing, which is then used to generate commercial profit? 

Of course not. 

15 hours ago, red23 said:

maybe more would pay if the bbc stopped putting womans football ahead of real football such as europa league on their website to appease the wokes.

Tbf, the goalkeepers in the WSPL highlights make up the BBC's best comedy output in recent years.  That doesn't necessarily mean that they're funny of course.

31 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Yes the funding model will impact on content. Good. Tough. 

Funding the BBC via general taxation now makes it less independent and creates zero incentive for it to adapt and improve. All it does is give it a safety net for getting worse. 

And it means people have just as much right to have a pop at it. Why should general taxation pay for what is a non government commercial entity. Should tax really be taken from all to pay for Strictly Come Dancing, which is then used to generate commercial profit? 

Of course not. 

I'm not sure that general tax makes it any less independent than a direct tax on tv ownership. 

Being reliant on an allocation or grant from the government would be little different from periodical licence fee and charter reviews which rely on the government. 

If you don't accept that broadcasting can be a public service, fair enough. 

There are plenty commercial enterprises that rely on taxation. Some of them even provide a public service too. 

Nobody should pay for Strictly Come Dancing because it is a steaming pile of poop. 

I had a boy come round during one of the lockdowns last year. He asked if I was watching live TV or iPlayer and I said no (I don’t even have my TV connected to an aerial). He then mumbled something about not being able to come in and check due to Covid. Off he went on his merry way. A totally pointless exercise tbh.

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

How long ago did that change?

The only change I've noticed is permitting the the feeble Britbox offering. They were ready a decade ago to set up a fully commercial global streaming service but were blocked from doing so. They were also forced to scale down their website which could have been another source of revenue. 

Edited by welshbairn

Someone I worked with years ago was seething one day, as he'd been visited by the men in the detector van and they supposedly had some amazing new-fangled device that was able to tell them everything he'd watched on terrestrial TV the night before, so claiming not to have a TV hadn't worked. Swore blind they knew everything he'd seen.

Didn't think to ask, but I suppose "Babestation all last night, was it?" is a reasonable guess when an obviously-single man opens the door.

32 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Someone I worked with years ago was seething one day, as he'd been visited by the men in the detector van and they supposedly had some amazing new-fangled device that was able to tell them everything he'd watched on terrestrial TV the night before, so claiming not to have a TV hadn't worked. Swore blind they knew everything he'd seen.

Didn't think to ask, but I suppose "Babestation all last night, was it?" is a reasonable guess when an obviously-single man opens the door.

Maybe he made it up?

The only change I've noticed is permitting the the feeble Britbox offering. They were ready a decade ago to set up a fully commercial global streaming service but were blocked from doing so. They were also forced to scale down their website which could have been another source of revenue. 
I've not used the BBC website in years, but it used to be full of adverts when I accessed it from abroad.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Maybe he made it up?

It's either that or the inspectors have discovered alien technology.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've not used the BBC website in years, but it used to be full of adverts when I accessed it from abroad.

They've maybe done away with that; occasionally I'll end up on their site while connected to a VPN in South Africa/Sweden/Tatooine and, while the site has a totally different look and story priority, I've not noticed any adverts.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

They've maybe done away with that; occasionally I'll end up on their site while connected to a VPN in South Africa/Sweden/Tatooine and, while the site has a totally different look and story priority, I've not noticed any adverts.

From South America today...

image.thumb.png.704e003033e9d4a3f2e71e238dce9cde.png

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The future of radio..

What is your point supposed to be here? We do not need to give a toss about which type of broadcasters are operating on radio, because it is not the 1930s and families aren't gathering around their set to find out the outcome of the Munich conference.