No BBC license fee from 2027

Lofarl

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

One area where the BBC excels and where i can't see "the market" being any use is in children's programmes. Wihout cbbc and cbeebies there will be nothing but badly drawn 100mph cartoons with lots of manic shouting. 

There is an argument that most public service stuff would be delivered by commercial channels. There's even some decent wildlife stuff on advert channels now. 

The bbc used to do global news really well and the world service was a good soft power instrument.  The bbc itself has slowly killed its own reputation here. But i think there is a case that a proper public service provider could do news and current affairs in a way that commercials won't. 

That's a fair point. Though none of my kids watched BBC stuff as kids. Disney Junior, Nick Jr and so on was more their thing. 

For a lot of the older generation the BBC has still got a bit of the "our NHS" vibe. There is zero chance of the Tories running an election campaign with a promise to abolish it, it would be handing over hundreds of thousands of votes to Labour. Most of the people who want rid of it are the younger generation who can't be arsed voting. It's just throwing a dead cat on the table to stop people talking about partygate.

Edited by welshbairn

45 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It honestly sounds like straw clutching seeing some of these arguments using imaginary stories about people going to jail for not paying a TV license as a reason to scrap it and switch to a subscription based service

7 minutes in.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yep, but you can still be arrested if you fail to pay the fine, which wouldnt count in imprisonment figures as police custody overnight doesnt see someone entered into HMP population figures. 

35 minutes ago, coprolite said:

One area where the BBC excels and where i can't see "the market" being any use is in children's programmes. Wihout cbbc and cbeebies there will be nothing but badly drawn 100mph cartoons with lots of manic shouting. 

There is an argument that most public service stuff would be delivered by commercial channels. There's even some decent wildlife stuff on advert channels now. 

The bbc used to do global news really well and the world service was a good soft power instrument.  The bbc itself has slowly killed its own reputation here. But i think there is a case that a proper public service provider could do news and current affairs in a way that commercials won't. 

The stuff on CBeebies is excellent, a really good mix of programmes on there.

30 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I don’t buy that argument for a second to be honest 

I didn't say they'd do it well. 

Channel 5 has a limited public service remit which includes a requirement to broadcast occasional news bulletins. That's why they interrupt films at ten o clock with 5 minutes of inane celebrity babble. Apparently ariana grande making a video is news. 

I think we'd get more of that sort of thing. The current beeb is well on its way even with the licence fee

Mind how absolutely mental the BBC went in regards to Corbyn. Giving folk airtime asking if bacon would be nationalised, putting pictures of him in front of the Kremlin, calling his plan for broadband rollout literal communism. Absolutely nuts.

Just now, ManBearPig said:

The fact that Jeremy Vine gets paid a six-figure salary, is enough for me to want it papped in the bin.

Jeremy Vine is what would have happened had Tony Hayers said "yes Alan, you have got a second series".

Mind how absolutely mental the BBC went in regards to Corbyn. Giving folk airtime asking if bacon would be nationalised, putting pictures of him in front of the Kremlin, calling his plan for broadband rollout literal communism. Absolutely nuts.

Tbf to the current dweeb as well they aired a segment with Keir and “former Labour voters” where one of them literally admitted they couldn’t mind the last time, if ever, they had voted for Labour.

You could spend all day pointing out the ways they’ve shown utter contempt for marginalised voices. A trans friend of mine shared some insane transphobia from the last 12 months that reads like the worst of the gay panic in the 80s.

Anyway, it’s fine we have the smug brigade on to dig that grave even deeper.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Anything that minimises exposure to the excruciating sound of children's voices in southern English accents can only be seen as a positive move imo.

Less Peppa Pig, more Wile E. Coyote please.

Edited by Hedgecutter

13 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Horses for courses I guess as to what passes as ‘great content’, but in terms of recent personal favourites; Shetland, Line of Duty, Normal People, Guilt, The Tourist, His Dark Materials, Killing Eve, You Don’t Know Me etc, all produced by the BBC.

How many of these are actually made by (not simply shown on) the BBC? 

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

How many of these are actually made by (not simply shown on) the BBC? 

The government forced the BBC to mainly use outside production companies ages ago. It's still the BBC that commissions the work. 

Edited by welshbairn

Shocking that people want this fine public service scrapped. And for why? It's not like the BBC had knowledge of multiple rapes and sexual abuses of children and continued to facilitate the abuser and cover for him right up until his death. 

It's not like they then falsely accused a Lord of having abused a child on Newsnight.

It's not like they named a source for a very sensitive piece of news which later led to that sources suicide. 

It's not like they rigged phone in competitions or do anything untoward like lie about their profits. 

It's not like they refused an advertising campaign for aid for victims of the war in Gaza because they didn't want to be seen as impartial. 

It's not like they continually give racists from the likes of UKIP or worse a platform "in the interests of fairness".

It's not like they were found to be picking sides in referendums and showing heavily biased and persuasive news broadcasts to change opinion.

It's not like they've been caught editing Question Time footage to make the Tories look more favourable. 

"a wonderful organisation". Ok pal.