No BBC license fee from 2027

Lofarl

It gets lots wrong, but is actually a pretty wonderful institution.  It's incredible how cheap the licence fee is.

This seems to be an argument for the licence fee and I can't say I agree tbh. It works out about £12.50 a month and if you had to pay that to watch I wouldn't pay it as it wouldn't be value for money for me given I rarely watch BBC.

I do watch the odd thing but nowhere near as much as I watch on Netflix or Disney+ which are both cheaper than £159 a year.

18 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

This seems to be an argument for the licence fee and I can't say I agree tbh. It works out about £12.50 a month and if you had to pay that to watch I wouldn't pay it as it wouldn't be value for money for me given I rarely watch BBC.

I do watch the odd thing but nowhere near as much as I watch on Netflix or Disney+ which are both cheaper than £159 a year.

You’re paying for access to the Netflix & Disney + Library not for what you want to watch 

I’ve got Disney + but I ain’t paying it so they can make more Home Alone films 

Unless we go down the Amazon route and pay for individual shows/films that are not on Prime 

With the BBC you have access to a far bigger and more diverse library across TV, Radio and podcasts 

Absolutely. News and current affairs coverage on Netflix is second to none, as well. And as for Disney's blanket coverage of local radio, well..
(Above post may contain sarcasm)

I like the BBC 🤷

I don’t like how it’s currently run and it will always be influenced by the governing party of the day.   But in the large part I think we should strive for a broadcaster as neutral as possible, that in itself is impossible.

IMO licence fee was as close as we could get to make BBC independent as we could,   Not funded directly by either cooperate companies or the state.

funding it through general taxation just makes it very much a state broadcaster.

2 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

Why do the Tories want it gone? Are you implying that it's politically biased against the Tories? I have heard that from just about everybody from indy supporters, Rangers supporters, Tories and people who have claimed it's offensive for allowing the likes of Frankie Boyle to have a show on there and for allowing Nick Griffin and Nigel Farage on Question Time.

If it's pissing everybody off, even more reason to scrap it, IMHO. Of course it should be 100% politically neutral.

If everyone thinks the BBC is biased against it then it is doing exactly what it should be doing. 

The Tories have hated the BBC for at least as long as I've been alive. No matter how far to the right it drifts, it'll always be the home of the pinkos to them, and a massive missed opportunity to make money for themselves and their friends. After decades of constant undermining from government and their rivals, the public are probably about ready to see it become a private subscription service without too much of a fuss.

Mind in the Nineties when John Birt was appointed to make cuts/ready the BBC for privatisation and set about closing their internal services, such as their vast storage library. Thousands of copies of BBC films and programmes, some the only ones in existence, destroyed. Then the DVD market and, later, streaming kicked in, and they were left begging the public to dig out their old Doctor Who recordings so they could put out complete box sets  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It's the first funding model suggested by the Guardian. It's how public broadcasters are now funded in Germany. 

Screenshot_2022-01-16-19-03-30-046_com.android.chrome.jpg

Surely the BBC and its budget is already at the mercy of the government as it sets the licence fee cost, so why would the situation be any different to how it is just now if it was funded from general taxation? (minus the cost of collection of course) 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

The BBC is the number one capitalist propaganda outlet in the UK m8.

Maybe but it shouldn't be.  The BBC should be like the NHS but it is not.

Mainly because the Labour Party is incompetent or too introspective so the Tories get elected by default.

They then get to set the agenda (for the BBC and everybody else).

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Unfortunately the BBC 

Chairman - Richard Sharp

Richard Simon Sharp (born 8 February 1956) has been the Chairman of the BBC since February 2021. A former banker, he worked at JP Morgan for eight years, and then for 23 years at Goldman Sachs. Sharp was an advisor to Boris Johnson during his tenure as London Mayor, and to Rishi Sunak as Chancellor. He has donated more than £400,000 to the Conservative Party.

Director General - Tim Davie

Davie stood as a councillor for the Conservative Party in Hammersmith in 1993 and 1994[9] and was deputy chairman of the Hammersmith and FulhamConservative party in the 1990s.

You’re paying for access to the Netflix & Disney + Library not for what you want to watch 
I’ve got Disney + but I ain’t paying it so they can make more Home Alone films 
Unless we go down the Amazon route and pay for individual shows/films that are not on Prime 
With the BBC you have access to a far bigger and more diverse library across TV, Radio and podcasts 

I'm not sure I follow here. I pay for those services because they have stuff I want to watch otherwise I wouldn't pay for it. I could literally spend all day watching those two services quite comfortably. Although iPlayer has some stuff on it I like, I couldn't watch it and any other BBC channel all day. Even the stuff that's on iPlayer you can find a lot of it on Britbox which I also sign up to.

Absolutely. News and current affairs coverage on Netflix is second to none, as well. And as for Disney's blanket coverage of local radio, well..
(Above post may contain sarcasm)

If I want the news I'll look on my phone. If I want breaking events I'll turn to Sky News before I ever bother with BBC News.

For radio I'll put it on via my Echo which has plenty of options available.

£160 for the news? Nah, yer alright.

It currently forces poor people who don’t watch it to pay for it under threat of imprisonment so that it can pay Gary Lineker £2m a year. 

It’s performance and output WITH the licence fee has been diminishing. Force it to compete and  if it is good people will pay for it. 

Delighted at the chickens finally coming home to roost.