Arbroath

14 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

IF and its a big IF campbell and Arbroath keep this up and they do win the championship....he should win manager of the year but we all know it will go to one of the arsecheeks 

Your manager won the SPFL Manager of the Year award literally last year for getting promoted through the play-offs.

Edited by craigkillie
Ignore this (see below)

18 hours ago, Ric said:

The romance of a small part time club reaching "the big leagues" must be worth a fair bit of PR gold for both the SPFL and Arbroath themselves.

You would like to think so but knowing the SPFL they’ll probably be embarrassed about it and god knows what type of treatment Sky will give to Dick Campbell and Arbroath the first time they host either of the bigots. Probably super-impose a seagull onto Campbell’s head for the pre-game package.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Your manager won the SPFL Manager of the Year award literally last year for getting promoted through the play-offs.

No, he didn't. He won Championship Manager of the Year of which there is no doubt Dick Campbell will win.

Steven Gerrard won the PFA Scotland Manager of the Year award which is much bigger and would be the only award that both Campbell and the OF managers would be in the running for.

Ah, I've misread that because I searched "SPFL Manager of the Year" and the top story was "McPake voted Manager of the Year". I see the Gerrard one for the Premiership is weirdly below that now that I look again.

The PFA one has only rarely been won by Old Firm managers recently - only 3 of the last 10 have been.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Ah, I've misread that because I searched "SPFL Manager of the Year" and the top story was "McPake voted Manager of the Year". I see the Gerrard one for the Premiership is weirdly below that now that I look again.

The PFA one has only rarely been won by Old Firm managers recently - only 3 of the last 10 have been.

Probably to do with Rangers' wee holiday for a chunk of that. And their manager managed to win it for the gargantuan achievement of leading Rangers out of the second tier.

If it had been awarded in 2020, Lennon would almost certainly have won it, having won the treble (or, at least, double that became a treble). This would give us 4 OF winners in the last 6.

Edited by VincentGuerin

On 17/01/2022 at 09:22, Swello said:

Aye - my three abiding memories of that day were the wind, the running battles and being delighted that I was offered Smokies in the pub before the game :) Can't remember much else as it was a long train day (and the type of cup trip that Motherwell hardly ever get).

These two games (well, one and a half) are also my only visits to Arbroath. Ridiculously windy, abandoned at half time and a handful of young Arbroath fans and a few polis getting chased up the street by the middle-aged men that only seem to turn up for our cup away days. The police totally over-reacted by turning up in huge numbers with dogs and horses for the re-scheduled midweek game with hardly anyone there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2022 at 19:37, kingjoey said:

I’m not so sure that clubs are permitted to allow spectators to watch Premiership matches from open terracing. That would mean that Arbroath would only be able to sell tickets for their stand. Anyway, as much as I would like Arbroath to be promoted to the Premiership, it really isn’t going to happen.

Utter bollocks.

Seriously, why don't people understand this yet?

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Are clubs allowed to have unlimited standing in the Premiership? I seriously was not aware of that if it is the case.

Don't know to be honest, but it gets my goat when people still seem to think we have the SPL nonsense in place.  

Some dozey sods asked about it when we reached the promotion play-offs in 2014 and 2015.  It was annoying enough then, when the crazy regulations were a recent phenomenon.  They're now a distant memory, but we still have people locked in that mind set.

I saw there was an Arbroath thread here and thought it would be about welcoming the idea of an unfamiliar club joining the elite by punching way above its weight.

Instead, we get the tired old shit of the gormless question about their ground.

It bugs me - you can probably tell.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't know to be honest, but it gets my goat when people still seem to think we have the SPL nonsense in place.  

Some dozey sods asked about it when we reached the promotion play-offs in 2014 and 2015.  It was annoying enough then, when the crazy regulations were a recent phenomenon.  They're now a distant memory, but we still have people locked in that mind set.

I saw there was an Arbroath thread here and thought it would be about welcoming the idea of an unfamiliar club joining the elite by punching way above its weight.

Instead, we get the tired old shit of the gormless question about their ground.

It bugs me - you can probably tell.

I would love Arbroath to get promotion to the Premiership and get full crowds into Gayfield, but don’t know if they can. You the call me questioning this as “utter bollocks”, and then admit that, as well as me, you have no idea what rules are in place to cover a team like Arbroath getting into the top league.

Does anyone actually know what the rules are regarding clubs with very limited seating getting into the Premiership?

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I would love Arbroath to get promotion to the Premiership and get full crowds into Gayfield, but don’t know if they can. You the call me questioning this as “utter bollocks”, and then admit that, as well as me, you have no idea what rules are in place to cover a team like Arbroath getting into the top league.

Does anyone actually know what the rules are regarding clubs with very limited seating getting into the Premiership?

There have been links posted on this already.

If a team is deemed fit to grace the Championship, they're also fine for the top division.  It's about safety now, rather than any self serving nonsense designed with the explicit intention of pulling up drawbridges.

10 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

SFA Bronze level, and it's the same requirement for the Championship, so they'll be fine

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

My understanding is that the SPFL requirements are the same for the Championship as they are for the Premiership.  So every team currently playing in the Championship, assuming they are doing so legitimately, has a stadium that meets the requirements to also play in the Premiership.  

Here are the regulations (section H is the relevant one I think):

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Rules and Regulations 12-Jan-22 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

H18 and H19, for example, lay down the floodlight and pitch dimension requirements which are higher for clubs wanting to play in the top two divisions than in the league generally.  I don't see anything about minimum or maximum seating or standing capacity but that will be on each ground's safety certificate.  

Edited by resk

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There have been links posted on this already.

If a team is deemed fit to grace the Championship, they're also fine for the top division.  It's about safety now, rather than any self serving nonsense designed with the explicit intention of pulling up drawbridges.

Could you not have said that in the first place, rather than say you didn’t know?