Tsunami in Tonga

ICTChris

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Krakatoa's eruption was picked up in the UK by all accounts.

Then the effects of that on the climate was felt for quite some few years after in the global tempature being lowered but can't remember by how much though of memory.

Was quite a few spectacular sunsets as a result though. 

Krakatoa was VEI 6 in scale.

Be interesting to see what this one registers at.

16 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

First bit of this video, guy just stands there and gets fucked by a tidal wave. 

Incredible. He’s absolutely telegraphing that right hand early on. I’d have him spitting teeth before he got a chance to do any of the fancydan stuff.

There's still very little news about the impact it's had on Tonga. There's been limited contact with the capital island (where the bulk of the population live) but not much is known other than that. Most of the islands are very flat so there has to have been some awful damage.

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This video of that guy keeps getting shown despite it not being from Tonga but from the 2018 tsunami that devastated coastal Indonesia. But it does show that tsunamis are are not to be messed with.

Very little footage come out of Tonga yesterday and they are or have been cut off. Hopefully help has come already. No news from other Islands nearby.

Footage being shown from along the South American coast, a lot of people caught unawares.

I think New Zealand and Australia have said they're sending planes over to try and assess the damage. Most of Tonga is still covered in a cloud of ash so it must feel pretty grim there.

5 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I think New Zealand and Australia have said they're sending planes over to try and assess the damage. Most of Tonga is still covered in a cloud of ash so it must feel pretty grim there.

Heard earlier from the NZ pm that they had to wait for the ash cloud to reduce as it was up to 60.000 feet and the planes can't go that high. Mobile phones are back working on the main island but nobody knows the state of the smaller ones.

I will never ever understand the fascination with running towards massive explosions or a things with a camera, i dont get the thought process ‘i might die here but at least i’ll get facebook clout?’. Its the same in the western world too with the filming and stuff. Fair enough if youre in a tsunami area in high ground, but f**k running to a beach just to get a picture. Same goes for media outlets who force reporters outside in floods/hurricanes etc in the UK/USA.

35 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I will never ever understand the fascination with running towards massive explosions or a things with a camera, i dont get the thought process ‘i might die here but at least i’ll get facebook clout?’. Its the same in the western world too with the filming and stuff. Fair enough if youre in a tsunami area in high ground, but f**k running to a beach just to get a picture. Same goes for media outlets who force reporters outside in floods/hurricanes etc in the UK/USA.

People have only been able to film natural phenomena like that for a few years in the grand scheme of things. For some people capturing things like that for themselves is worth the risk. 

45 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think people underestimate the risks. Tsunamis and pyroclastic flows both look relatively harmless from a distance. Once you've clocked the speed and destructiveness it's probably too late. 

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think people underestimate the risks. Tsunamis and pyroclastic flows both look relatively harmless from a distance. Once you've clocked the speed and destructiveness it's probably too late. 

But assuming your phone survives you'll have some great footage...

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

You might even be transformed into a fetching Pompeii style statue. 

Not by a tsunami, obviously. 

No, but you might create a new record for getting from the beach to being impaled on railings at the other side of the island in record time.

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

At least seeing these pictures of Tonga has made it a real place.  Previously it was nothing more than a name on the SRU autumn international fixtures list and something from the 'name that flag' games.

Oh, it's real alright. The fattest nation on earth apparently and live entirely on mutton flaps.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

Absolutely, its darwin awards stuff. Maybe its just me, but if i hear a massive explosion or suddenly see the sea retreat back pre-tsunami then the very last thing im going to do is stay put or indeed run towards the big f**k off blast if im not responding to the emergency.