Ayr United v St. Mirren (Scottish Cup Round 4, January 22nd 2022)

HT 0-2
Yeah fairly routine stuff so far. Standard second tier against top tier tie.
Ayr trying fine, but their problem is we have better players than they do.
First goal a nice cross headed home for Kyle’s first goal of the season. Second a nice bit of movement stuck home for Kiltie’s first goal of the season.
Happy for them both. We’ve controlled the ball and should have had a third but we’ve not taken a few chances since. Pudding?
A shout for Saints fan Billy Abercrombie to report to the latest steward just came over the tannoy. Sue Perb. Can we get a shout for Yardley too?

I thought Auchinleck looked more solid in defence in their first half against Hearts.  This match reminds me of our heavy defeat from Livingston last season.  Just completely outclassed so far.  Couldn't last 7 minutes without giving a soft goal away.

Edited by stevep56

2 minutes ago, stevep56 said:

I thought Auchinleck looked more solid in defence in their first half against Hearts.

In fairness the officials apparently had a line on Boyce having a rage-induced heart attack in the first half. Could have been miles away.

FT 0-2
Fair reflection. Second half was quite open. . Both teams had chances, Kiltie hit the post and Ayr had a one on one that went wide. Couple of set piece headers from the home side that didn’t quite find the mark too.
It was a good, disciplined and controlled performance from us in the main, and we certainly deserved to win and get straight into the next round.
Best players were Kiltie who chipped in again (Jamie who?) and I thought McAllister had a decent game too. Defence was solid and good for them to get another clean sheet.
We beat Ayr on our way to winning the League Cup in 2013, so I guess that means we will be winning this cup too.
Good draw in the next round, please.

28 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Happy enough with that, Ayr had some good spells but we did enough and had a few half chances for a third. Henderson, Kiltie and Ronan all playing well again.

Very generous towards Ayr. 

First gear win for St Mirren! 

I thought Saint Mirren were quite good, well worth the win and won't have an easier Saturday afternoon this season.

Have we somehow managed to appoint a third cowardly manager in a row? That starting XI isn't scoring in the league let alone against higher league opposition. We could easily end up relegated this season and Bullen's ready-made excuse is the awful squad he's inherited. It would be nice if we could attempt to win a couple of games before then. Scunnered this evening.

Fair play to St Mirren , the best team won . Saints were stronger , cleverer and just better in every position .The Saints fan’s filled the Railway end and made it a proper Scottish Cup spectacle . Good luck to them in the next round .

Some Ayr fans on here bragging about staying away in a kind of I told you so manner . Not really sure how to respond to that , so I’ll just let it float . It didn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that St Mirren were the best bet on the coupon at 7/5 . I guess I’m a glutton for punishment, turning up knowing full well Ayr this season are shit .  Never mind back to the battle of the drop .....