5 subs introduced for the 2nd half of the season as scab diddy club joins the Old Firm

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

5 subs means that you can keep a few to deal with emergencies like injuries and red cards so we should see teams making more tactical changes aside from splitting the workload for the wingers.

If the back 3 is clearly not working then switching to a back 4 after 25 minutes is not longer the drastic course of action that it once was of course the opposition now have more scope to make a change in the remaining 65 minutes to counter your change but that just adds to the interest

Indeed. I only used the wide forwards as my example because Neilson made the point specifically in an interview earlier in the season/pre-season. I've always felt that it was a bit daft to telegraph that to the rest of the league, but also that it doesn't leave much scope for forced changes. In a wider more general context, it should benefit us as a squad of players with options of similar quality. Your example of teh defence is a good one, but I always fear changing the defence around too much mid-game. Swapping the fullbacks/wingbacks is fine, but I see defence as the one part of the team that you only tamper with in emergencies. With our current midfielders of Beni, Devlin, Haring and McEneff, we have scope to rejig meaningfully as well.

On 13/01/2022 at 16:39, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Since Motherwell, with our huge and amazing squad voted against it.

It means 2 of St Mirren, Livingston, Dundee and St Johnstone voted for it despite not having 10 decent players, never mind 16.

Dunno Motherwell are always desperate to take our cast offs.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, those are exceptional emergency substitutions.

If Team A uses one of these emergency substitutions then Team B is allowed an extra sub, would this allow a fourth stoppage by Team B?

45 minutes ago, ropy said:

If Team A uses one of these emergency substitutions then Team B is allowed an extra sub, would this allow a fourth stoppage by Team B?

Your extra sub needs used when team A use their concussion sub.  So no extra stoppage in the game

Edited by parsforlife

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Your extra sub needs used when team A use their concussion sub.  So no extra stoppage in the game

Unless this is a specifically different rule for Scottish football (which I'm not sure is allowed), then this isn't true. The IFAB protocol says this extra sub can be used at any point afterwards.

https://www.datocms-assets.com/43623/1624965681-concussion-substitutes-protocol-b.pdf

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Unless this is a specifically different rule for Scottish football (which I'm not sure is allowed), then this isn't true. The IFAB protocol says this extra sub can be used at any point afterwards.

https://www.datocms-assets.com/43623/1624965681-concussion-substitutes-protocol-b.pdf

Oh FFS seams the subs rules are even more insane than I’d previously thought.

From that a concussion sub gives an additional stoppage.  So instead of 3/5 subs from 3 stoppages,  we have 4/6 from 4 or 5/7 from 6.

Don’t want to attack concussion subs, though they could be tightened up,  as they have player safety at heart.     But 5 subs has always been fucking insanity and the fact it’s still being pursued at this stage is really worrying.  It’s clearly not really about covid and looks to be something that will become permanently part of our game to its detriment.