5 subs introduced for the 2nd half of the season as scab diddy club joins the Old Firm

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

One club has declared their voting decision.

I am not against the 5 subs but extra subs solving a problem caused by Covid doesn’t really make sense to me, presumably the likelihood would be that Covid would restrict the number of options available?  

f**k all to do with covid, its to help clubs manage their squads in the event of a fixture pile up that may happen, 

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Do you mean the time hearts tried to push through reconstruction to save themselves, but were adamant that it would only be for that one season, as they didn't want to share income with more clubs in the top league than necessary the season afterwards?
That kind of self-interest??

Let it go, mate. This level of angst ain't good for you. 🙁

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Stevie Grieve seemed to be massively in favour of it so maybe he's convinced your coaching staff and/or chairman of the merits.

Nah Callum Davidson doesn’t listen to anyone, no chance he’s changed his stance on in. He’s too bloody stubborn even if it was a good thing. 

Wouldn't 5 substitutes actually favour clubs with smaller squads? Sevco, for instance, can run Roofe into the ground for a few weeks then afford to rest him completely knowing Wright or Sakala or whoever is quality enough to cover . On the flip side The Midden can't really afford to rest McGrath for a full 90 minutes but if they're a coupla goals up and cruising or, more likely, 3-0 down anyway, having the option to rotate from the bench means they can spread the toil of league games more evenly over a smaller squad. 

I'm going to be honest here, I am not against 5 subs. Yes, it absolutely benefits the richest clubs with the best quality across the board, but let's be honest in the list of things that disadvantage "smaller" clubs I doubt this would even register.

It does, hypothetically, give us a chance to blood youngsters that need game time at this level, and we have a few in our squad that need that. Whether that turns out to be the case is up to Goodwin, but the increase in the number of subs has given him that opportunity.

58 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Five subs should be great news for the clubs that don't have massive squads tbh.

Aye, 15 minutes to go and your one up against the bigots and they put on five internationals when all you have on the bench is some under 20s that will make your 11 weaker  is really really great right enough.

Good wee article from last year explaining how the quality, and overall size, of the squad isn't a huge factor when it comes to extra subs but the drop in overall quality between them is a bigger factor.

Football's five substitutes rule doesn't benefit the big clubs – and here's why | Football | The Guardian

(eg: Celtic subbing Kyogo for that Greek jobber has a greater negative effect that St. Johnstone subbing one useless striker off for another)

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Good wee article from last year explaining how the quality, and overall size, of the squad isn't a huge factor when it comes to extra subs but the drop in overall quality between them is a bigger factor.

Football's five substitutes rule doesn't benefit the big clubs – and here's why | Football | The Guardian

(eg: Celtic subbing Kyogo for that Greek jobber has a greater negative effect that St. Johnstone subbing one useless striker off for another)

Interesting although the observation that teams near the top make less substitutions than those near the bottom might be explained by the fact that teams near the bottom, by definition, find themselves losing more often and are more inclined to use subs to try and change the game.

The underlying logic is compelling though. 

Viewed this way @tree house tam's problem wouldn't be that the St Johnstone bench isn't anywhere near as strong as Celtic's it's that their subs aren't nearly as good as the St Johnstone Starting XI

Again this all suits Hearts current squad which contains a relatively high number of players who are "good enough to start" but not many who are "simply too good to drop"

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Again this all suits Hearts current squad which contains a relatively high number of players who are "good enough to start" but not many who are "simply too good to drop"

This is exactly where I am at. Woodburn, GMS, McKay and Ginnelly, specifically. We telegraphed to the league that the plan was to give our wide forwards/wingers an hour and then bring on fresh legs. Not a plan that gives you many options to deal with injuries or red cards though. I can see us using this rule quite well.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Aye, 15 minutes to go and your one up against the bigots and they put on five internationals when all you have on the bench is some under 20s that will make your 11 weaker  is really really great right enough.

Didn't realise you play the bigots every week.

That'll be why you're rock bottom pal.

So, 75% of the league's clubs vote in favour of reintroducing 5 substitutions yet this is portrayed as an old firm problem? Some folk are that desperate to be outraged at anything Rangers or Celtic they start losing basic comprehension skills.

28 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

This is exactly where I am at. Woodburn, GMS, McKay and Ginnelly, specifically. We telegraphed to the league that the plan was to give our wide forwards/wingers an hour and then bring on fresh legs. Not a plan that gives you many options to deal with injuries or red cards though. I can see us using this rule quite well.

5 subs means that you can keep a few to deal with emergencies like injuries and red cards so we should see teams making more tactical changes aside from splitting the workload for the wingers.

If the back 3 is clearly not working then switching to a back 4 after 25 minutes is not longer the drastic course of action that it once was of course the opposition now have more scope to make a change in the remaining 65 minutes to counter your change but that just adds to the interest

18 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Personally I'm all for it, as it will give my own club an advantage over clubs with less strength in depth. You would have to assume that the clubs against it will be the ones with the least strength in depth. 

So that would be us 

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Interesting although the observation that teams near the top make less substitutions than those near the bottom might be explained by the fact that teams near the bottom, by definition, find themselves losing more often and are more inclined to use subs to try and change the game.

The underlying logic is compelling though. 

It does also ignore the possibilities of having options from the bench which a bigger team may be more likely to have. At Celtic, for instance, Forrest might not be as good as Turnbull but if Celtic are having no joy through the middle he's a tactical option. Smaller squads will have less quality across positions like that. 

I just don't think the extra subs is a huge game changer in either direction