Staggies v Steelmen, 18th Jan

Thanks to friends with spare tickets, I have made it along to 4 games at the Global Energy stadium so far this season, and I will be there again for this one. When hospitality has been included, we have picked up a mightily impressive 4 points from 2 games. Without hospitality, a measly 3 points from 2 games.

So forget your team selection, tactics, thoughts on the opposition, etc… the key question ahead of this one is:

Who’s buying me dinner?

Edited by The Great Stagsby

Was an interesting game at FP earlier this season. Thought it was a very even game eventually decided by a bit of a defensive lapse in concentration. We’ve improved since then and, going by Motherwell’s league position, they have too. Be interesting to see Tony Watt’s availability/effort in this game. Hopefully get a full back in before the game and we should be in good nic. Be a good game I reckon.

This is actually a big game for the pride of Lanarkshire. 

With Aberdeen and Hibs playing the Old Firm it may be a chance to gain a point or 3 on the two teams below us. 

Factor in the fact we play Hibs next if we could win here, Hibs lose v Celtic and we win v Hibs that would put us 8 points ahead of Hibs and at least 7 ahead of Aberdeen. Unlikely it will pan out that way but if it did it would be a great start in our quest for top 6 and better yet a Euro place.

Also happy we are playing this game before cup game. As County fans will remember fondly us having no game for a few weeks prior to Scottish Cup is a recipe for disappointment. 

Ross C appear to have been playing quite well and did deserve a point at least at Fir Park. Would love 3 points but avoiding defeat would be respectable.

Really not sure how this one will pan out, Also be interesting to see how we line up, I reckon Shaw will come in, Sondre and Ojala should both be fit again, whether both will start I don't know, i'd like to see Tierney, however I can't see it being from the start and will Tony Watt start?

Ross county being without Harry Clarke will be a blow i'd imagine, he looked very handy. Hungbo and Charles-cook will cause problems, as they do against most teams but I think they still look suspect at the back so hopefully we can take advantage of that. 

Been impressed with County whenever i've seen them, a much better team than the table suggests but I suppose there is a reason for that.

Edited by Neil86

I think Watt will start if he is still here. If we don’t play him that sends a message to United they can try and low ball us with crap offers as I suspect they have been doing. 

Play him and make it clear we will continue to play him until United pony up a decent wedge. 

If he is still here after the window closes I suspect he may warm the bench more often. 

Of course if United are serious about wanting him this window and stop pissing about he may be gone before next Tuesday 🤷‍♂️

It would be easier to play Watt in this game where virtually no Motherwell supporters will be there vs the next home game. My only issue would be that Shields had a decent game against Livi and should probably be allowed to continue (and his development is now a higher priority than playing Watt).

Same front 3 as against Livi for me. 

Shields played well, got an assist and should have had another had Woolery’s touch not let him down. He’s got a goal and an assist in his last 3 starts so is surely due a wee run in the team anyway.  

Would have no issue with Watt coming on btw if we need a goal or that. Rightly or wrongly though, there’s going to be question marks over his commitment now. Knowing Alexander, I imagine he would leave it up to Watt to win his place back rather than simply handing it to him. 

Fwiw, I think if he’s here till the end of the season he’ll get his head down and crack on. However I still expect him to leave before the end of the window. 

Edited by Casagolda

Yeah, it's down to Watt, how much he wants to put in, I suppose with him being so close to a scotland call up has to be a factor in how he approaches the next few months. We know how Alexander operates, play well you keep your place so for that reason I expect Shields to get the jersey. 

Midfield will be interesting though, Slattery back in contention, Shaw in the mix and both Donnelly and Goss been decent the last few weeks.

3 minutes ago, The Great Stagsby said:

Well, well!*

independently of the P&B community, and without any chasing on my part (honest), the call we’ve all been waiting for came in this morning: I’ve been invited to hospitality.

I now fully expect County to take at least 2 points from this fixture.

*No pun intended.

obama-fl.jpg

Well, well!*
independently of the P&B community, and without any chasing on my part (honest), the call we’ve all been waiting for came in this morning: I’ve been invited to hospitality.

*No pun intended.
Do you ever pay in to a game?

The most important question here is how many of the glorious haggis pies to you get in hospitality?

I used to treat myself to a haggis pie and a dream ring out of Harry Gows on a Saturday when I lived in the highlands. Sensational.

Harry Gows is not even close to Deas’ level. Diddy.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:
11 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:
Well, well!*

*No pun intended.

Do you ever pay in to a game?

Between 1995 and 2020 I paid to attend 346 games, from which we took a total of 72 points.

This new system is better.