Relegation Derby….Sons V Fifers

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was really pleased with that today. The support was as vocal as it's been all season, I thought Stevie Farrell got his team selection and tactics bang on, and I thought a few players really stood out. There wasn't one player out there who didn't leave everything on the park either. They put in a real shift and, if nothing else, it shows they are behind the management team.

Until the second goal the game was played at a crazy intensity. It was like a cup tie, and both sides knew they couldn't concede. It might not have been pretty, but it was certainly an exciting watch.

Our lineup was fairly different to what it had been for the majority of the season, but the switch to a conventional 4-4-2 looked to work well. Ross MacLean was absolutely superb alongside Joshua Oyinsan. It was Chucky's best game since being sent-off in that game against Airdrie and he deserved a goal. 

Big Josh gave us a focal point in attack. Someone to play off; and that suited MacLean, Conner Duthie and Gregg Wylde down to the ground. Kalvin Orsi is sometimes his own worst enemy,  his desire to cover every blade of grass often leaves us without a centre-forward. Today Josh was that guy, and we reaped the rewards for it. He's clearly not fully sharp, and hasn't played a lot of football this season, but I was really encouraged by him. He looks a natural striker, and he didn't give the - admittedly very shaky - East Fife defence much peace.

Whilst Josh, MacLean and Duthie all caused issues, it isn't really going forward that's been our main problem this season. It's been the defence and the lack of a steady midfield.

For me Paul Paton was one of the best players on the park. I know he gets a fair bit of stick, but I thought he was excellent today. He was everything I wanted him to be when we signed him. It's often said that if you win the midfield battle, you win the game. And today Paul Paton played a massive role in winning that midfield battle. He looked to relish the frantic nature, the difficult pitch and the pressure. Flying into challenges, winning a hell of a lot of second balls and then using the ball well after he'd won it back. Stuart Carswell, by contrast, was maybe a bit quieter - but barely misplaced a pass all game. 

Will those two have the right balance as a midfield duo in more difficult games? I've no idea. But both can be pleased with themselves tonight.

At the back I thought Carlo Pignatiello made a world of difference being chosen at full-back ahead of Andy Geggan. He really is a superb player and, if I could, I'd probably just clone him and play him in every position. He was disciplined defensively, got forward at the right times, produced some excellent deliveries into the area and even showed some very wingery footwork at times. The goalscorers will grab the headlines, but Carlo really didn't put a foot wrong.

Alongside him big Stephen Bronsky looked like the centre-half partner Gregor Buchanan has needed since Ryan McGeever's injury. He was very meat and potatoes. Good in the air, solid in the challenge and didn't take many risks. But that is what we've lacked without McGeever. Buchanan is more of a modern, stylish, ball-playing centre-half. He needs a rugged old-fashioned guy alongside him to batter folk, drop when Buchanan charges to win a header and take no risks. Last season Duffy spoke about players enjoying defending. Bronsky looks like someone who does exactly that.

Which leaves us with the left side. At first I thought Faz would be going 5-3-2, with Wylde as a wing-back and Boyle as a LCB. But when it became clear it was a 4-4-2 I was a bit disappointed. I thought Gregg Wylde was a wing-back/full-back. And I thought he'd be our first choice LB.

In the first-half we got little joy down that side. Although I did think Wylde was postionally good and kept possession well. He just didn't look very threatening.

In the second-half though both players came onto a game. Boyle looked to benefit from having someone ahead of him who seemed on the save wavelength. When he went forward and ran out of ideas, Wylde took the ball in a good position and drove on a wee bit.

His cross for the first goal is absolutely gorgeous. It's a terrific bit of technique and deserved a goal on its own. Josh was in the right place and got his header on target, which is the main thing to ask, but big Scott Gallacher will definitely feel as if he should've saved it.

Then Wylde lets rip from what? 35 yards maybe. It was an absolutely incredibly strike. One of the best I've seen at home in a very long time. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the East Fife highlights, and not on the Pixellot camera.

From then on we could've added a few more, whilst East Fife missed a real sitter through Ryan Blair. The Fifers actually looked half decent going forward; they just lacked a clinical touch. At the back they looked all over the place. Now there are a few sentences I've typed a lot this season...

Surviving now looks a really big ask for them, even at this stage. Stevie Crawford has his work cut out to make a few shrewd additions this month.

As for us? Well I won't get carried away. Or anything close to it. Although we won comfortably, East Fife had a fair few decent openings, and if they'd scored first it could've been very different. But there are positives signs. Stevie Farrell said he's hoping to add a loanee on Monday, whilst Stephen Bronsky should ink a deal tomorrow.

He's identified the areas where we need additions, and brought in his targets. Today all three new faces played their part. Long may that continue.

Boring, isn't it? Coming home and reading comprehensive summaries of the match on P&B from @Jan Vojáček

Not for me, I like it.

15 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Webcast again today. Couldn't be arsed dragging myself along to the ground.

Commentators sound like they dont have their mics down on their headsets. It's picking up the bare minimum of sound.

See this is one thing I don’t like about the streaming. It’s far too convenient for season ticket holders just to sit in the house etc when in actual fact your support at the ground is what makes a difference. This is likely also why our attendances are so low this season in general. 

Aside season ticket holders who have already paid, how many people decide. I’ll just pay for the streaming and not drag my arse down to the rock and drink my own beers etc and all in save themselves some dosh between match ticket and drink etc. 

Obviously I don’t know the figures for how many people stream it each week if any of the guys in here know? 

First half I thought this was 2 worst teams in league and was poor fated.

no doubt we improved in second half and could see the confidence deep back into the team when the positive result was on the horizon 

pity about keeper

thought trialist was ok but fear what better teams could expose.

Wylde produced 2 moments for the goals that suggest my initial bees about his signing nah beed reviewed.

pity cup game gets in the road next week as could have done with building on yesterday.

think physical presence helped Mclean who was bestie for me

not end of road but progress overall

On 16/01/2022 at 06:09, DobbiesAgent said:

See this is one thing I don’t like about the streaming. It’s far too convenient for season ticket holders just to sit in the house etc when in actual fact your support at the ground is what makes a difference. This is likely also why our attendances are so low this season in general. 

Aside season ticket holders who have already paid, how many people decide. I’ll just pay for the streaming and not drag my arse down to the rock and drink my own beers etc and all in save themselves some dosh between match ticket and drink etc. 

Obviously I don’t know the figures for how many people stream it each week if any of the guys in here know? 

As a season ticket holder, the club have my money whether I turn up or watch online. Me not going on Saturday has zero impact on finances.

27 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

As a season ticket holder, the club have my money whether I turn up or watch online. Me not going on Saturday has zero impact on finances.

As I mentioned….you support at the stadium in terms of attendances etc is still important. How many others are sat at home cause they cba? 

And if you read it properly it says “aside from season ticket holders who have already paid” 

plenty other people have agreed on the Sons Sorrow thread too. As much as performances haven’t been helping attendances then the stream is also having an effect on them too 

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

As much as performances haven’t been helping attendances then the stream is also having an effect on them too 

In your opinion. Unless there is an official figure of ‘people who can’t be arsed attending so they stream the games instead’ we’ll never actually know. There are so many variables just now and there is an argument that the stream could be earning us money/allowing people to see the game when otherwise they wouldn’t be attending regardless of whether there is a live stream. I certainly know of a few folk who currently stream games because they can’t attend due to location/age/work/looking after the kids. These folk are chucking 12 quid at the club every other Saturday when usually they wouldn’t be spending a penny. I think it probably does impact on away attendances but again we could have even more away fans viewing due to the accessibility and the cost of the stream vs travelling and attending in person.

In the current climate should we really be so critical of something that provides folk with a more affordable option whilst they still get to watch the game and contribute financially? In an ideal world we have a full stadium but this pandemic has hit a lot of people hard.

Yeah fair do’s if u are unable to attend for any reason with regard to pandemic etc but ur missing my point of…the stream gives people an easy excuse not to head down to the game if they are a season ticket holder just cause they can’t be arsed. 

yes everything you mention regarding away fans etc are all positives about the stream. 

again my original post was…”this is one thing I don’t like about the stream”. 

that was all

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

In your opinion. Unless there is an official figure of ‘people who can’t be arsed attending so they stream the games instead’ we’ll never actually know. There are so many variables just now and there is an argument that the stream could be earning us money/allowing people to see the game when otherwise they wouldn’t be attending regardless of whether there is a live stream. I certainly know of a few folk who currently stream games because they can’t attend due to location/age/work/looking after the kids. These folk are chucking 12 quid at the club every other Saturday when usually they wouldn’t be spending a penny. I think it probably does impact on away attendances but again we could have even more away fans viewing due to the accessibility and the cost of the stream vs travelling and attending in person.

In the current climate should we really be so critical of something that provides folk with a more affordable option whilst they still get to watch the game and contribute financially? In an ideal world we have a full stadium but this pandemic has hit a lot of people hard.