Table topper clash: Cove vs Montrose

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Accent is fine right up until Montrose. Montrose is the cut off point. It’s the one thing they’ve got going for them, they sound normal. As soon as you go north of Montrose though some kind of strange Doric language appears

Actually Montrosians and other coasters north of Inverkeilor are bilingual. We speak "South Northern" Scots, which is closer to Doric than the Scots spoken in southern and western Angus.

The dialect is being lost because unlike north of the North Esk, the Scots being promoted in schools is from further south and is unlike the language spoken here, now mostly by grandparents. 

Teuchter power!

Good first half from Cove who deservedly take a lead into the break. Rory with a tap in after great work out wide by Harry Milne beating his man and provide an inviting cross.

Only gripe is we didn't score a second. A couple of decent shots from distance from Fyvie as well as a deflected header from Rory which hit the bar.

Big loss losing Mitch after 15 minutes and Shay after 40 minutes. Latter was causing trouble down the right and Mitch was, as always, partnering well with Rors.

Montrose look dangerous via Lyons and Gardyne but yet to trouble McKenzie in goal.

All to play for second half. Don't think we'll keep a clean sheet so will need a second goal

9th successive league win but we were made to work for it second half. We sat deep at times in the last 30 minutes. Thought Rory had two great chances to score a brace.

Our attacking threat clearly dipped after losing Mitch and Shay.

We sat deep at times and Mo looked threatening with there width but never created anything clear cut. 

Good tight game as expected.

Disappointing not to get anything from the match but can't be too despondant considering that was our first defeat since mid September and the end of a 14 match unbeaten league run which I think is a new team record for us. (Maybe Steve Doyle can confirm this?)

Can't see anyone catching Cove for the title now, but another playoff place is definitely on the cards fo the Mo if we keep our recent run of form going.

4 hours ago, Brummo said:

Actually Montrosians and other coasters north of Inverkeilor are bilingual. We speak "South Northern" Scots, which is closer to Doric than the Scots spoken in southern and western Angus.

The dialect is being lost because unlike north of the North Esk, the Scots being promoted in schools is from further south and is unlike the language spoken here, now mostly by grandparents. 

Teuchter power!

Montrose is getting into the north eastern Scots, but once you cross the north Esk, there’s a definite Aberdeen twang, I grew up on the boundary between Angus and Kincardine & Strathdee, and there was a big difference between Craigo to Marykirk.

Well done the Cove, looks like your unstoppable, Championship here you go. Will need team changes when you get there? So you’re going up a league every year, Aberdeen derby in 2024!

We got all we deserved from the game, nothing. We could barely string 2 passes together. Cove out muscled us all over the pitch and won every 50/50. Our only clear chance was Eli header. That apart, the Cove keeper was never bothered. However, we weren't helped by weak refereeing. Highlighted late on when the ref reacted to Cove players dropping like fannies when Mo players brushed against them.

We'll dust down and move on.

6 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

We got all we deserved from the game, nothing. We could barely string 2 passes together. Cove out muscled us all over the pitch and won every 50/50. Our only clear chance was Eli header. That apart, the Cove keeper was never bothered. However, we weren't helped by weak refereeing. Highlighted late on when the ref reacted to Cove players dropping like fannies when Mo players brushed against them.

I noticed that last time when the played at Links Park, they kint how to kill the game by dropping like fannies 

3 hours ago, PortyMo said:

I think that's harsh. Montrose played better in the second half but looked less threatening in attack than Cove. In fact despite having noticeably less possession in the second half, Cove still had the best of the chances.

It was a tight game which Cove shaded and I don't grudge them the points.

They fell away for much of the second half and I felt it was inevitable that Montrose would turn pressure into a goal but it just didn't happen.

Cove defended well, which undoubtedly played its part but in all honesty, unlike Partick Thistle, who utterly demolished us 5-0 at Firhill last season, I cannot say Cove look a class above the Mo. When Megginson and Logan left the park, they looked there for the taking and if we had a natural striker, I am pretty sure the outcome would have been different. If Megginson's injury recurs and everything is down to Macalister, I can see this run of 1-0 victories ending. True, they weren't troubled as much today as I would have liked but I certainly don't think their lead is unassailable. Time will tell.

Without (ahem) away fans, the atmosphere in the ground was pretty dire. Noticed quite a number of Dons fans (wearing the Dandies merchandise) there too. Aberdeen obviously has the population and money to sustain more than one "big" team so good luck to Cove in trying to fill that role. 

Meanwhile the Mo press on with their League campaign.

Sair een to lose the day but there are another 8 teams to beat in addition to Cove, so we learn, we improve, we progress.

E.T.A. Steeves was complaining to the far side lino. about his late decisions, which he claimed had led to Annie's injury. (Thought Fleming did okay).The Cove fans, were pointing out that there had been a rule change, that offside could only be flagged once the player concerned connected with the ball. Is this correct? If so, could someone explain the reasoning for this change, as it seems bizarre.

Edited by Brummo
Confucian???

9 minutes ago, Brummo said:

I think that's harsh. Montrose played better in the second half but looked less threatening in attack than Cove. In fact despite having noticeably less possession in the second half, Cove still had the best of the chances.

They fell away for much of the second half and I felt it was inevitable that Montrose would turn pressure into a goal but it just didn't happen.

Cove defended well, which undoubtedly played its part but in all honesty, unlike Partick Thistle, who utterly demolished us 5-0 at Fir Park last season, I cannot say Cove look a class above the Mo. When Megginson and Logan left the park, they looked there for the taking and if we had a natural striker, I am pretty sure the outcome would have been different. If Megginson's injury recurs and everything is down to Macalister, I can see this run of 1-0 victories ending. True, they weren't troubled as much today as I would have liked but I certainly don't think their lead is unassailable. Time will tell.

Without (ahem) away fans, the atmosphere in the ground was pretty dire. Noticed quite a number of Dons fans (wearing the Dandies merchandise) there too. Aberdeen obviously has the population and money to sustain more than one "big" team so good luck to Cove in trying to fill that role. 

Sair een to lose the day but there are another 8 teams to beat in addition to Cove, so we learn, we improve, we progress.

E.T.A. Steeves was complaining to the far side lino. about his late decisions, which he claimed had led to Annie's injury. (Thought Fleming did okay).The Cove fans, were pointing out that there had been a rule change, that offside could only be flagged once the player concerned connected with the ball. Is this correct? If so, could someone explain the reasoning for this change, as it seems bizarre.

I thought that ruling was only in use for games in which VAR is being used? I could well be wrong. 

agree with with your view of the game. We were poor first half, Webster, Lyons and Gardyne switching positions a few times never really helped us. Second half was much better but we seemed to lack any idea when we got within 18 yards of goal, just shoot!! 

regarding the officials, I was near the far side linesman second half and he was awful. Luckily he was never up with play and missed a few potential offsides in our favour. 

we now find ourselves 10 points off the top and I cannot say I’ve seen anything to say Cove are 10 points better than us, other than an out and out goalscorer. Still well in with a shout of top 4 though which would have been our aim at start of the season. 

On 15/01/2022 at 20:07, Brummo said:

Cove defended well, which undoubtedly played its part but in all honesty, unlike Partick Thistle, who utterly demolished us 5-0 at Fir Park last season, I cannot say Cove look a class above the Mo. When Megginson and Logan left the park, they looked there for the taking and if we had a natural striker, I am pretty sure the outcome would have been different. If Megginson's injury recurs and everything is down to Macalister, I can see this run of 1-0 victories ending. True, they weren't troubled as much today as I would have liked but I certainly don't think their lead is unassailable. Time will tell.

I've said it countless times about us, and it's obvious to many, we're lacking another striking option and without Mitch on the park the goals dry up. Putting Leighton on for Mitch is like chalk and cheese. Leighton does nothing for me. Ola, contract extension and warmed the bench nicely today (AGAIN).

Even Rory doesn't get many when playing with Leighton or Leitch or alone. In fact, in all our L1 games (44 in total) I think Rory has only scored twice when Mitch hasn't been on the park. A winner in the 94th minute at Balmoral against Partick and a 91st minute goal against Airdrie in the semi final 2nd leg. Granted Mitch doesn't miss many games or get subbed often. His partnership with Mitch is outstanding though. Rory, strong, good in air, holds it up and Mitch being clever, quick and a natural finisher makes for a superb duo at this level.

On to the game I thought we started well and looked threatening. When Mitch went off that subsided but we continued to cause Mo problems down the right with Shay. He went off after 40 and Vigurs off at half time. 3 big players, not Vigurs biggest fan admittedly, and then agree Mo came into the game and had more possession without having a killer end product. One of those days. Elijah should have buried his header.

Rory really should have scored in the second half; how he missed that well worked corner I'll never know. He had another chance thereafter and Leighton had one also after Cammy? blindly passed it back to Flemming and Rory intercepted.

Blair and Harry were standouts today.

Montrose will get back to winning ways I'm sure. Solid team and if you end up in the playoffs (could still win the league outright) then must have a fantastic shot of going up.

Gardyne looks quality, would have easily had him at Cove. Lyons, especially in that first half, was energetic and looked threatening. Just need a predator goalscorer.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

No complaints really today not clinical enough Infront of goal unfortunately Cove took their chance and defended pretty solid throughout the game .Not one for blaming the ref but for me he did spoil the game in a way he had absolutely no control of the game,when the tackles where flying in he missed it all and his 2 assistant's which is poor with it being such a big game and that was for both sides not just Montrose.

Last mention goes to big Morgyn Neill going down like a sack of spuds trying to get big Elijah sent off never seen anything like it in my life walked into him then went down like he had been gunned down....Very poor.Scott Ross not much better absolute ring piece of a man.

13 hours ago, Brummo said:

Funnily enough, yesterday was the first time I've actually noticed a few attempts at putting some Cove chants together!  I think the atmosphere at Balmoral suffers from Cove traditionally having a relatively small fanbase, so that a fair chunk of the crowd are arseholes like me showing up because there's no game at Pittodrie.  Added to that, Aberdonian fitba fans do tend to be quite reserved IMHO.

I thought the result was fair, but 1-1 would probably have been fair too, if that makes sense.  Gardyne and especially Lyons looked dangerous but without creating that much.  Nice early clinical goal for the home side.   

Would agree with most of the points here. Cove only deserved the win based on the fact we have a striker that can put the ball into the net. 

Montrose dominated second half and would have deserved an equaliser if they had a half decent striker. Our keeper wasn’t tested enough. 

Montrose, Falkirk and Queens only teams I’ve seen come to Balmoral and actually have a go. I’d like to see Montrose go up. 

Cove are grinding out results but I can definitely see a bad run coming. An injury to Mitch and we’ll eventually crumble

2 hours ago, resk said:

Funnily enough, yesterday was the first time I've actually noticed a few attempts at putting some Cove chants together!  I think the atmosphere at Balmoral suffers from Cove traditionally having a relatively small fanbase, so that a fair chunk of the crowd are arseholes like me showing up because there's no game at Pittodrie.  Added to that, Aberdonian fitba fans do tend to be quite reserved IMHO.

I thought the result was fair, but 1-1 would probably have been fair too, if that makes sense.  Gardyne and especially Lyons looked dangerous but without creating that much.  Nice early clinical goal for the home side.   

I don't think there's anything wrong with showing up at Cove because the Don's aren't playing, even arguably, if they are playing away.

I occasionally go to Pittodrie for a midweek game, very occasionally, as I was living abroad until recently.

I "support" the Dons to the extent that I want them to win but the key difference between this and my support for the Mo, is that an Aberdeen defeat, while disappointing, doesn't ever have the potential to ruin the rest of my weekend.

I think Cove are always likely to have a fair number of "part-time" supporters unless they end up competing in the same league as the Dons, in which case people's true loyalties would be tested.

I think people in the north east do tend to be more reserved generally.

Even in Aberdeen FC'S heyday under Fergie, as I remember it, their support was always more vociferous on the road, rather than at Pittodrie.

20 hours ago, JamesMunro said:

Would agree with most of the points here. Cove only deserved the win based on the fact we have a striker that can put the ball into the net. 

Montrose dominated second half and would have deserved an equaliser if they had a half decent striker. Our keeper wasn’t tested enough. 

Montrose, Falkirk and Queens only teams I’ve seen come to Balmoral and actually have a go. I’d like to see Montrose go up. 

Cove are grinding out results but I can definitely see a bad run coming. An injury to Mitch and we’ll eventually crumble

I was hopeful we'd use this window to bring in another striker and address the reliance on Mitch slightly; whether that be a permanent or loan signing. If we're done looking for strikers after extending Ola then it's a worry for the remaining 14 league games as as you say an injury to Mitch and the gap at the top would close and perhaps close quickly.

Ola deserves a run out but doubt he's the at the level we need from what I've heard, and he'll be off on his merry way in the summer having chalked up minutes rather than hours of game time.

Leighton's first touch is dreadful, has little end product and I wonder who in L1, if anyone, would start him as a first choice striker.

We're in a promising position in the league which should heighten our chances of getting some quality in. We must have some money coming in from the upcoming Hibs match too and we all know we're not the most hard up club in the first place. Heard prior to it being announced it would be televised that would be around £150k with a 10k crowd. Probably a fair bit less now. 

Not easy to bring in a quality striker due to inevitable competition from elsewhere, being part time, COVID restricting the number of loans happening, players in contract, our geographical position even and the opportunities said striker would get with Rory and Mitch being predominant figures in our squad.

Kane Hester or Scott Barbour I always thought would be decent signings for us in L2/L1 but those ships have sailed as I fully expect we'd be looking for better quality if we do end up going up to the Championship.

33 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I was hopeful we'd use this window to bring in another striker and address the reliance on Mitch slightly; whether that be a permanent or loan signing. If we're done looking for strikers after extending Ola then it's a worry for the remaining 14 league games as as you say an injury to Mitch and the gap at the top would close and perhaps close quickly.

Ola deserves a run out but doubt he's the at the level we need from what I've heard, and he'll be off on his merry way in the summer having chalked up minutes rather than hours of game time.

Leighton's first touch is dreadful, has little end product and I wonder who in L1, if anyone, would start him as a first choice striker.

We're in a promising position in the league which should heighten our chances of getting some quality in. We must have some money coming in from the upcoming Hibs match too and we all know we're not the most hard up club in the first place. Heard prior to it being announced it would be televised that would be around £150k with a 10k crowd. Probably a fair bit less now. 

Not easy to bring in a quality striker due to inevitable competition from elsewhere, being part time, COVID restricting the number of loans happening, players in contract, our geographical position even and the opportunities said striker would get with Rory and Mitch being predominant figures in our squad.

Kane Hester or Scott Barbour I always thought would be decent signings for us in L2/L1 but those ships have sailed as I fully expect we'd be looking for better quality if we do end up going up to the Championship.

i doubt anyone will touch Hester until his court hearing has passed

13 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

i doubt anyone will touch Hester until his court hearing has passed

True. His stock, in my opinion, is taking even more of a hit given Elgin are struggling and his number of goals is lower than previous seasons. He's been out injured in all fairness and doesn't have a quality striker like Shane Sutherland playing next to him.

He's got some similar characteristics to Mitch and is a natural finisher. Could at least play L1, whether he could rack up the goals in the Championship would be interesting to see.