Weird Games On Weird Channels

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Was there not a Milan derby shown on BBC once?  It would have been a few years ago now but I'm sure it was shown on a Sunday evening once.

BBC 3 in about 2009. I think it was the first time I saw Davide Santon and he looked like a future world beater.

On 23/02/2022 at 15:47, Adam said:

I’m sure I remember watching the UEFA Cup semi final second leg in 2000, between Leeds and Galatasary, on Sky Sports News. Could be talking absolute shite though as I would only have been 12 at the time.

Wales vs New Zealand was also on Sky Sports News in 2006ish - I think every other home nation was playing at the same time at 7:45pm on a Wednesday night or something

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was once on a flight from Buenos Aires to Paris which had to do an emergency landing in Montevideo.......with the delay we didnt manage to get back to Paris that night but flew on to Sao Paulo where we were due to connect anyway.  That meant I had a whole 24 hours in Brtazil.  Went to my room and put on the tv wondering if any fitba on.......a wee bit surprised that the only game on was Hibs v Celtic.

I actually went to a game the next day and saw Palmeras v Brasilense....Jounhino was making his return that day......a few weeks earlier I saw him play what I believe was his last game in Scotland at Pittodrie for Celtic.

Edited by Caledonian1

On 29/09/2022 at 23:40, Christophe said:

Didn't think that was bad, carbon-copy "don't change a winning" format, and both hosts were funny

On 29/09/2022 at 23:54, Bully Wee Villa said:

After the mess they made of the "Never Mind The Buzzcocks" reboot, I didn't bother with Sky's "Fantasy Football". Maybe I'm being unfair.

Aye, I thought it was decent. Didn't shy away from the Badiel and Skinner days (some of the better jokes were about that) and kept the likes of "A big hello to...", Phoenix from the Flames, etc. Thought it hit the nostalgia button quite well and it's added to the series link alongside AVFTT.

Just watched it on catch up after a couple of folk mentioned it at the weekend. It was OK (Matt Lucas does not look well) but the overlap between folk who remember the original and are into this must be quite small. 

Fair chance the nostalgia element wears off quite quickly. 

Edited by Fuctifano

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I hadn't realised that USA 94 was only shown in dribs and drabs in the UK - some games were not shown at all while some were joined in progress.  The only place to watch all the games was Eurosport.

I remember Archie MacPherson being the commentator on Eurosport.

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I hadn't realised that USA 94 was only shown in dribs and drabs in the UK - some games were not shown at all while some were joined in progress.  The only place to watch all the games was Eurosport.

Really? Wow. Don't recall that at all. Was 12 at that tournament and the first I remember being all in for.

Seems mad there wasn't wall to wal coverage, are you sure? Mad now that terrestrial TV is all over every game in the competitions they still have that that would happen. Doesn't seem that long ago! 

Was France 98 the first one that BBC/ITV showed every game from then? Or did it happen at tournaments before USA and just didn't happen there for some reason? 

Edited by Christophe

4 hours ago, Christophe said:

Really? Wow. Don't recall that at all. Was 12 at that tournament and the first I remember being all in for.

Seems mad there wasn't wall to wal coverage, are you sure? Mad now that terrestrial TV is all over every game in the competitions they still have that that would happen. Doesn't seem that long ago! 

Was France 98 the first one that BBC/ITV showed every game from then? Or did it happen at tournaments before USA and just didn't happen there for some reason? 

I found a thing about it a while back on some TV forum.  Obviously some games that clashed weren't shown live (aside from Eurosport) while others were deemed less important to things like Wimbledon so were joined in progress.  Some matches were joined at half time apparently when the tennis finished.

Edit - This is the page here - 

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2291928/wanting-to-know-more-about-old-bbc-itv-world-cup-archive-listings-and-coverage

Hadn't realised that the America's opening match against Italy wasn't broadcast at all and their second was only broadcast from the second half as ITV bumped the first half off for a film!  The Third Place play-off wasn't shown live in the UK at all.

Edited by Highland Capital

Would no home nations qualifying have something to do with it? I remember reading Euro 84 was the same. By the time Euro 2008 came round there was the Red Button and (maybe) IPlayer