Weird Games On Weird Channels

This is a slightly different thing but does anyone else remember the BBC showing an alternate view of the game during a World Cup?  I'm sure it was the 2002 World Cup and the camera was up behind the goal and had more of a discussion between two pundits than commentary.

On 21/01/2022 at 21:34, Highland Capital said:

This is a slightly different thing but does anyone else remember the BBC showing an alternate view of the game during a World Cup?  I'm sure it was the 2002 World Cup and the camera was up behind the goal and had more of a discussion between two pundits than commentary.

One of Australia's games at the 2006 World Cup had that issue. Think it was ITV but the only angle available was the "crane" camera behind the goal for about 20 minutes of the first half - was a pretty turgid first half from memory anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple I'd forgotten - BBC Alba buying the rights to the women's Bundesliga for some reason.  S4C showing Serie A for a couple of years before Channel 4 picked it up.  When did Channel 4 last show a live game by the way?  Must be about twenty years?

A couple I'd forgotten - BBC Alba buying the rights to the women's Bundesliga for some reason.  S4C showing Serie A for a couple of years before Channel 4 picked it up.  When did Channel 4 last show a live game by the way?  Must be about twenty years?

Twenty years at least I'd guess, I was reading they have the rights of the world club final later this month but are only going to show it live if Chelsea make the final.

On 11/01/2022 at 01:18, Ray Patterson said:

Bravo showed a lot of football for a wee while they picked up Football Italia after C4 axed it and even showed Brazil vs Argentina I think.

After Setanta's collapse Sky One showed a bunch of UEFA Cup games for some reason instead of Sky Sports - at a time when no football was shown on the channel. Was always Fulham or Spurs games I think.

One shout might be the Milan derby on BBC Three due to Beckham playing. Think it was the first football BBC Three shown.

Elsewhere, Quest having the EFL Highlights is a bit odd considering they're owned by Discovery and don't even show the highlights on Eurosport.

Slightly off topic - North Korean State TV showed a Serie A between Bologna and Milan game recently: 

Looks like only the first half and, if the date is correct, just over a month after the game took place.

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Twenty years at least I'd guess, I was reading they have the rights of the world club final later this month but are only going to show it live if Chelsea make the final.

Channel 4 stopped broadcasting Serie A in 2002, so I'd imagine you are spot on there, can't think of anything else they've shown since then. Probably been mentioned but Bravo took on the Serie A for a bit after C4, before the sports channels got involved when it went to Setanta 

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Think S4C only had highlights packages, not sure they ever broadcast any live Serie A. They also had a La Liga highlights programme.

2 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Think S4C only had highlights packages, not sure they ever broadcast any live Serie A. They also had a La Liga highlights programme.

Think it was part of their Sgorio programme which was basically Eurogoals in Welsh.

Edited by Ray Patterson

On 11/01/2022 at 01:18, Ray Patterson said:

Slightly off topic - North Korean State TV showed a Serie A between Bologna and Milan game recently:

Football in general is extremely popular in DPRK, and it's not uncommon for foreign matches to be shown. They are never shown live, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2022 at 21:01, Highland Capital said:

Think they got offered them for free/very cheap and it was at a time there was no football on.

C4 broadcast Women's Euro 2017.

I’m sure I remember watching the UEFA Cup semi final second leg in 2000, between Leeds and Galatasary, on Sky Sports News. Could be talking absolute shite though as I would only have been 12 at the time.