Weird Games On Weird Channels

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

mycujoo.tv had some epic nonsense on it. I believe it's closed now and Eleven Sports does it now.

Some notable highlights have been when I've watched Morton Women's team win some cup final a coupla year ago, a big top of the table lash in the Sri Lankan first division and the preliminary round of the OFC Champions League.

Set yer alarms to watch this classic in the Mongolian Women's U-16s Futsal Championship tomorrow:

image.png.830ebd5fd475f18bc8e83c304ceba96d.png

Got a fiver on both team to score and Deren to win

I'm gonna download their app to my Fire Stick, that looks like an absolutely bananas list of competitions they cover, and I'm sure I can find something on it when my insomnia hits!

Channel 5 used to always have some Intertoto and UEFA cup games on… in fact, they had a lot of games from all over the place on late night. Vaguely remember Kevin McKenna playing a blinder at LB(!) for Canada against Brazil in the Confederations Cup years ago.
Quest have got the English League Cup and lower league highlights now. Same sort of set up and feel as the old channel 5 coverage, if anything slightly better. Hopefully they can siphon off more stuff from Eurosport soon

The Middlesbrough cup run in 2006(?) was shown on channel 5. I think it’s the longest I’ve ever watched the channel in one sitting.

18 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

After Setanta's collapse Sky One showed a bunch of UEFA Cup games for some reason instead of Sky Sports - at a time when no football was shown on the channel. Was always Fulham or Spurs games I think.

Sky One showed that Celtic-Milan game where Dida hit the deck.

Another stranger one was ITV2 showing Real Madrid's pre-season tour of the Middle East (including a match against the Thailand national team).  Think the programme was billed as "Beckham Live".

Think it was last season or the season before that an Italian game was on Box Nation.

14 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Sky One showed that Celtic-Milan game where Dida hit the deck.

Another stranger one was ITV2 showing Real Madrid's pre-season tour of the Middle East (including a match against the Thailand national team).  Think the programme was billed as "Beckham Live".

Think it was last season or the season before that an Italian game was on Box Nation.

BoxNation is owned in part by Premier so that makes sense.

Two BBC oddities -

Putting some random K League matches on the iPlayer during the lockdown when live football became a novelty for a while.

BBC Alba bought the rights to show the Highland Derby live while both clubs were in the Premiership. The game got postponed and as far as I’m aware they never showed the rescheduled game.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Around 2014ish, BBC Alba were supposed to have a live 3pm Saturday game from the Premiership, possibly involving St Johnstone, but it was postponed and it never happened again.

Isn’t showing 3pm matches against the law? 

It's not against the law, but is prevented by UEFA rules since the Scottish FA (and the English FA) have chosen to select them as blackout periods. Presumably there was a specific agreement to allow it. Interestingly, S4C, the Welsh equivalent of BBC Alba, regularly shows Welsh Premier League games during the blackout period.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It's not against the law, but is prevented by UEFA rules since the Scottish FA (and the English FA) have chosen to select them as blackout periods. Presumably there was a specific agreement to allow it. Interestingly, S4C, the Welsh equivalent of BBC Alba, regularly shows Welsh Premier League games during the blackout period.

I believe it was a rule that imposed or enforced in some way by the EU, but could be wrong. Or the rule was passed through in EU courts.

took me surprisingly long in life to realise it was actually an observed rule. I just always thought it was a sort of gentleman's agreement type of thing. Think it only came to my attention in around 2013/14 when an El Classico was a 3pm kick off and couldn't be screened anywhere in the UK.

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It’s an English FA rule that we’ve adopted as well. Nothing to do with the EU. If anything I think the EU wanted rid of it. Setanta used to (and maybe do) broadcast English games at 3pm on a Saturday in Ireland.

Premier do, so you are correct.

The Alba thing was weird as they showed three games a season from the Top Flight - Thistle vs Hearts, St Johnstone vs Motherwell were two. I think the 3pm was on the 2nd January and was exempt from the Blackout.

Funnily enough, I think S4C are no longer allowed to show 3pm Cymru Premier Kick-offs. 

The 2019 Lewis and Harris league decider between Point and West Side on BBC Scotland Sport Facebook page, but not BBC Alba channel or FB page, entirely in Gaelic.

Budweiser bought the rights to some early round FA Cup games about ten years ago which they broadcast on their Facebook page.

7 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It’s an English FA rule that we’ve adopted as well. Nothing to do with the EU. If anything I think the EU wanted rid of it. Setanta used to (and maybe do) broadcast English games at 3pm on a Saturday in Ireland.

It's technically a UEFA rule - each member is allowed to block out two and a half hours per week. England, Scotland (before the Covid exemptions) and Montenegro are the only ones that use it.

On 13/01/2022 at 02:15, Ray Patterson said:

Premier do, so you are correct.

The Alba thing was weird as they showed three games a season from the Top Flight - Thistle vs Hearts, St Johnstone vs Motherwell were two. I think the 3pm was on the 2nd January and was exempt from the Blackout.

Funnily enough, I think S4C are no longer allowed to show 3pm Cymru Premier Kick-offs. 

They were definitely going to show a Highland Derby with a weird 1505 kick-off, which I'm sure was a Sunday or a weekday sometime around Christmas.  The game was postponed and the rearranged fixture was never shown.

I occasionally watch the Welsh league on S4C.  Don't recollect seeing a Saturday 3pm kick-off unless it was a cup final or something but most of the Saturday games they show seem to be half-past five kick offs.

On 13/01/2022 at 07:31, true_rover said:

It's technically a UEFA rule - each member is allowed to block out two and a half hours per week. England, Scotland (before the Covid exemptions) and Montenegro are the only ones that use it.

I see England-based fans aren't able to subscribe to Scottish streams this season.  I did see today though that one of the AFCON games was joined in-progess at 4pm on Sky Sports (strange).

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The AFCON is not a UEFA competition and therefore UEFA rules don't apply to it.

Speaking of which, the camera director doesn't seem to be doing the standard "film the crowd until they notice they're on the big screen, then cut away" thing that you always see at World Cups and Euros. It's quite nice to see happy people in the crowd at an international game; no doubt unintentional, but they often only show individuals when they're looking bored.