Airdrie vs Falkirk (15/01/2022)

Strange game in that I thought we were the 'better team' but Falkirk created by far the clearer chances, which is probably a total contradiction. Some of our football was great, but we only really created one chance in the whole game (the 2nd goal). The first goal was a chaotic set-piece and the 3rd a couple of defensive blunders. I never really felt Falkirk had a much of a hold on the game yet they had 2 great chances in the first half, and at least 1 in the 2nd half in addition to their goals. Although it's a positive that we controlled parts of the game it's concerning that we are giving up so many chances without the opposition really having to do much to earn them. You can play all the nice football you like but if you concede 2 goals a game from set-pieces you're going to be in bother.

As others have said when you watch Easton today you wonder why he's spent his whole career at such a low level, in particular playing Lowland League last year seems farcical. A couple of times today he had 4 or 5 Falkirk players trying to get the ball off him.

If we can keep roughly that team on the park I'm confident we can keep winning most games against the bottom half of the league. To really push and beat Montrose and Cove though we'll need at least 2 or 3 players in. At the moment we are a couple of suspensions/injuries in certain positions away from being in real trouble.

Just reading through the last few pages of comments and there's definitely still a sense of entitlement coming from many Falkirk fans. Definitely makes for enjoyable reading. 

Airdrie dominated the game today and played the far better football. We have a better team by miles. It's clear as day. Yes, Falkirk created some good chances, but didn't take them. Airdrie created chances and did. Nothing to do with poor defending. It was excellent attacking, persistence and clinical finishing. 

The quality of the second goal was superb. The chopped off goal will make good viewing back as I don't think anyone other than the ref k ows why it was chopped off. 

And Kenny Miller. 😂 Just hilarious watching him rant. Clearly thinks he's the manager. That's going to work out well. 

McCann was rank rotten today, it was hilarious. For him to get put off by some shouts from a few Airdrie fans shows how simple it is to put him off his game. Just amateur stuff. Clearly not as good as he thinks he is. 

Overall a very pleasing afternoon and we march on. ♦️

31 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Just reading through the last few pages of comments and there's definitely still a sense of entitlement coming from many Falkirk fans. Definitely makes for enjoyable reading. 

Airdrie dominated the game today and played the far better football. We have a better team by miles. It's clear as day. Yes, Falkirk created some good chances, but didn't take them. Airdrie created chances and did. Nothing to do with poor defending. It was excellent attacking, persistence and clinical finishing. 

The quality of the second goal was superb. The chopped off goal will make good viewing back as I don't think anyone other than the ref k ows why it was chopped off. 

And Kenny Miller. 😂 Just hilarious watching him rant. Clearly thinks he's the manager. That's going to work out well. 

McCann was rank rotten today, it was hilarious. For him to get put off by some shouts from a few Airdrie fans shows how simple it is to put him off his game. Just amateur stuff. Clearly not as good as he thinks he is. 

Overall a very pleasing afternoon and we march on. ♦️

Amen ♦️

Ohfft, that Martin Rennie interview is a great watch 😂. Can blame the referee into league 2.

@Glenmavis Diamondtouched on it perfectly. There’s a real sense of entitlement at Falkirk and I’m afraid it’s totally unfounded. Airdrie have taken 22 out of a possible 27 points from Falkirk over the last three seasons.

The sooner they accept the mediocrity of their club the better. They were outplayed by Airdrie and always are.

11 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The quality of the second goal was superb. The chopped off goal will make good viewing back as I don't think anyone other than the ref knows why it was chopped off.

https://youtu.be/POi_yR-xnY8

Watched it back on John Stevens "Back of the net" YouTube channel and it looks like Jordan turned away from the shot and it struck him on the back before going in. Either way send to have been a very harsh decision as his arm wasn't involved.

2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

https://youtu.be/POi_yR-xnY8

Watched it back on John Stevens "Back of the net" YouTube channel and it looks like Jordan turned away from the shot and it struck him on the back before going in. Either way send to have been a very harsh decision as his arm wasn't involved.

Falkirk's highlights give a better angle. Looks like he shoulders it in.

Airdrie's third goal is absolutely calamitous. Junior standard of defending from the biggest team in League One.

Ohfft, that Martin Rennie interview is a great watch [emoji23]. Can blame the referee into league 2.
[mention=4841]Glenmavis Diamond[/mention]touched on it perfectly. There’s a real sense of entitlement at Falkirk and I’m afraid it’s totally unfounded. Airdrie have taken 22 out of a possible 27 points from Falkirk over the last three seasons.
The sooner they accept the mediocrity of their club the better. They were outplayed by Airdrie and always are.

Highly entertaining - the world isn’t against Falkirk. Not the mindset you want to see you out of bother or get yourself motoring. The interview with Brad McKay was much better. At least taking responsibility for things they could have done better.

From our point of view, I though we were excellent in the first half. I do think our midfield can drift in and out of games and disappeared for large sections of the second half, but they do work so hard on and off the ball, it’s hard to keep that pace up. Just need to be a bit more composed at 3-1 to see the game out.

Up to second - enjoying my football again [emoji1319][emoji3532]

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know the defending isn't the greatest, but that second Airdrie goal is pure 2003 Arsenal stuff. Beautiful. 

I didn’t appreciate just how good that goal was at the time but it really is brilliant football. Guys like Easton and Frizzell are so good technically for this level, they really are a joy to watch. 

What a difference compared to our midfield from Murray’s first few seasons and even several years before that. Did Murray’s Dumbarton teams ever play like this? Our best form before this season was always using a quick counter-attacking style with guys like Dale Carrick and Callum Smith working hard out wide. I remember his Dumbarton teams being pretty attacking, which our current team definitely are, but not with so much possession and intricate passing.

Strange game, although I knew there would be goals in it, it wasn't exactly thrilling, we cannot defend at all it's borderline offensive that it hasn't been rectified, Airdrie took their chances we didn't. Didn't think there was that much between the teams in all honesty, Airdrie just look like a well drilled well organised outfit who know their jobs. We just look like a work in progress still waiting on the new manager bounce. It needs to happen quickly or we will be looking over our shoulders. I predicted a three all draw. If Morrison could actually finish it might have been. 

9 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Ohfft, that Martin Rennie interview is a great watch 😂. Can blame the referee into league 2.

@Glenmavis Diamondtouched on it perfectly. There’s a real sense of entitlement at Falkirk and I’m afraid it’s totally unfounded. Airdrie have taken 22 out of a possible 27 points from Falkirk over the last three seasons.

Falkirk did miss some good chances and my feeling is that they could do us a favour before end of season, 

5 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Strange game, although I knew there would be goals in it, it wasn't exactly thrilling, we cannot defend at all it's borderline offensive that it hasn't been rectified, Airdrie took their chances we didn't. Didn't think there was that much between the teams in all honesty, Airdrie just look like a well drilled well organised outfit who know their jobs. We just look like a work in progress still waiting on the new manager bounce. It needs to happen quickly or we will be looking over our shoulders. I predicted a three all draw. If Morrison could actually finish it might have been. 

There actually has been a new manager bounce, problem is there are still half a team of utter imposters so instead of getting pumped we are just losing narrowly.

Only way that will be rectified is by bringing in a better standard of player.

14 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Those highlights, they are something .  Big fan of Morrison’s 50p napper ballooning a header over the bar with the goal gaping. 

At least Taylor-Sinclair looks a good signing. 

Is that the same Taylor-Sinclair who was 'standing his ground' before being easily robbed of the ball leading up to our 3rd goal? 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were being sarcastic. 

19 hours ago, Mr November said:

I didn’t appreciate just how good that goal was at the time but it really is brilliant football. Guys like Easton and Frizzell are so good technically for this level, they really are a joy to watch. 

What a difference compared to our midfield from Murray’s first few seasons and even several years before that. Did Murray’s Dumbarton teams ever play like this? Our best form before this season was always using a quick counter-attacking style with guys like Dale Carrick and Callum Smith working hard out wide. I remember his Dumbarton teams being pretty attacking, which our current team definitely are, but not with so much possession and intricate passing.

We played good football under Ian Murray (until his final season), but it was more high paced counter attacks than the sort of intricacy that his Airdrie side are showing. That could be the benefits of full-time training. I know Muzz's training was incredibly high tempo when he was with us and, looking at you guys this season, I doubt there's ever an easy day for the players. But they are reaping the rewards from that.

I suppose a part-time team achieving the results he achieved with us in the Championship, whilst playing the kind of football he's got Airdrie playing would've been a huge ask. It'll be fascinating to see if Airdrie stick with that style if you guys go up this year. Which, at the moment, I absolutely wouldn't be betting against.

That’s Murray seen off McKinnon, Miller/ McCracken, Holt, Sheerin and now Coach Rennie… wonder who’ll be next.

Pretty good afternoons work for us thought going forward we were excellent especially McGill, Easton and Frizzell. Max also with a couple of good saves. The most pleasing part of the squad this year is players can drop out or in and seem to fit in seamlessly which has to be credit to the coaching staff. 

Funny to see Rennie’s criticism of the ref, the second half everything went Falkirk’s way, we had an arguably good goal chopped off and McKay could’ve easily been sent off for a second yellow. Not to mention a good few questionable decisions going Falkirk’s way.

Hope we can keep the momentum going.

Also As someone else mentioned about not being bothered about Leon McCann leaving. I was the same. He’s very lightweight and although fast up and down the wings his crosses into the box are often hopeless.

Edited by Diamond10

Excellent to keep the winning run going and another 3 goals scored at home. Airdrie had good control of the game first half and merited the two goal lead. Falkirk playing on the counter attack might well suit the attributes of Morrison, who admittedly should have scored that header at 0-0, but overall I thought it was a pretty poor tactical decision; it played right into our hands, allowing us to dominate the ball, gave us a lot of time on the ball and hem them in for large parts of that opening 45. That's why we were controlling the match, why we were dictating the tempo and why it felt like it was only a matter of time before we made it count. 

Great eventual finish from Dycey, after two Airdrie men got in each other's way trying to bury it themselves. As for the second goal, well, that's the kind of team we are this season and it's a delight to watch us in full flow. Great midfield run from McGill and well finished but the whole move was sumptuous. The obvious fear was conceding an early goal and credit the cross and header, which I thought were excellent, but so frustrating that we did exactly that. We gave the visitors some momentum there and they were markedly improved having jettisoned their plan A, but we've seen this before from Airdrie; passivity sneaking into the second half when we're cruising. 

Still, whilst Falkirk were narrowly the better side second half, the idea they deserved a draw or, as some of their support have claimed, to actually win it, is quite fanciful stuff. I'm still not sure why our other goal was disallowed, but I suppose the fact we 'won' the first half 2-0 and they 'won' the second half 2-1 rather underlines the point; we merited the win overall and duly got it. 

Hilariously awful defending from their new signing leads to our third, which is great work from Frizzel who was brilliant on the day, and some truly dreadful goalkeeping, too. That Rennie spent a solid section of his interview moaning about referees is pretty fucking funny. Embarrassing that he wanted a freekick for ATS in that third goal. 

18 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Excellent to keep the winning run going and another 3 goals scored at home. Airdrie had good control of the game first half and merited the two goal lead. Falkirk playing on the counter attack might well suit the attributes of Morrison, who admittedly should have scored that header at 0-0, but overall I thought it was a pretty poor tactical decision; it played right into our hands, allowing us to dominate the ball, gave us a lot of time on the ball and hem them in for large parts of that opening 45. That's why we were controlling the match, why we were dictating the tempo and why it felt like it was only a matter of time before we made it count. 

Great eventual finish from Dycey, after two Airdrie men got in each other's way trying to bury it themselves. As for the second goal, well, that's the kind of team we are this season and it's a delight to watch us in full flow. Great midfield run from McGill and well finished but the whole move was sumptuous. The obvious fear was conceding an early goal and credit the cross and header, which I thought were excellent, but so frustrating that we did exactly that. We gave the visitors some momentum there and they were markedly improved having jettisoned their plan A, but we've seen this before from Airdrie; passivity sneaking into the second half when we're cruising. 

Still, whilst Falkirk were narrowly the better side second half, the idea they deserved a draw or, as some of their support have claimed, to actually win it, is quite fanciful stuff. I'm still not sure why our other goal was disallowed, but I suppose the fact we 'won' the first half 2-0 and they 'won' the second half 2-1 rather underlines the point; we merited the win overall and duly got it. 

Hilariously awful defending from their new signing leads to our third, which is great work from Frizzel who was brilliant on the day, and some truly dreadful goalkeeping, too. That Rennie spent a solid section of his interview moaning about referees is pretty fucking funny. Embarrassing that he wanted a freekick for ATS in that third goal. 

I generally hate when Murray moans about the referee, but I'd hate it even more in Falkirk's situation. You can maybe understand it if they've been done over by a couple of dreadful, game changing decisions which take the game away from you, like an early sending-off. But that clearly wasn't the case here, if anything the only big decision he got wrong appeared to be disallowing our goal. Moaning at the referee shows a complete unwillingness to take responsibility and look to fix the things they are in control of. Similar to Dumbarton blaming the referee for them being down to 8 men earlier in the season instead of looking at their terrible lack of discipline. Falkirk aren't in the situation they are in because of referees therefore whining about them isn't going to help. I'd be wanting my manager to be entirely focused on the shortcomings of our team. I've criticised Murray a few times on here for losing the plot at the referee in certain games, it's generally a sign of desperation and is completely unhelpful.