Airdrie vs Falkirk (15/01/2022)

Can see  there being goals in this one, we can't keep a clean sheet and before yesterday were struggling to score. Dowds return made a big difference in attack yesterday so hopefully he can keep that going. Hopefully we get a couple of signings in this week to shore up the defence and midfield a bit. 

Agree. Our defence give away comedy goals near enough every single game, and the intro of one competent CB yesterday wasn’t enough to stop more Keystone Cops capers from the other two.

Rennie & Miller have had a fairly rapid impact on our style of play. It remains to be see if Morrison can make the transition into a more front line central role, but the guy can beat a man and is rapid, so if his composure in front of goal is improved, then who knows?

If we are to win with the current defence, we will have to score three.

If we've not signed a centre back by next week then it's an absolute certainty we'll concede but if we've not signed a centre midfielder by next week then we'll definitely not win.

Mcinroy & Mccabe absolutely ran the show at TFS earlier this season in the middle of the park so for me it's essential we have that sorted before this game. Our change in formation should see us get further up the park than we managed in that dry humping of a game but we'll lose if we don't compete in the middle of the park.

1 hour ago, champions said:

Do airdrie normally sell out their 500 allocation?

I’m not sure if Saturday’s game was sold out but the previous two were. I think this Saturday’s game should sell out though.

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

If we've not signed a centre back by next week then it's an absolute certainty we'll concede but if we've not signed a centre midfielder by next week then we'll definitely not win.

Mcinroy & Mccabe absolutely ran the show at TFS earlier this season in the middle of the park so for me it's essential we have that sorted before this game. Our change in formation should see us get further up the park than we managed in that dry humping of a game but we'll lose if we don't compete in the middle of the park.

The good news for you is McCabe has player centre back near enough every game since then and McInroy’s loan expires tomorrow, so unless we somehow get him back he won’t be playing on Saturday which will be a big miss. I’m expecting Josh Kerr to come back in at centre back for his first start in a while with McCabe moving into midfield, which I’d prefer as Kerr has a bit more physicality for dealing with Dowds. I’m expecting a much tighter game than last time, probably more like the first game this season albeit Airdrie are a much better side now than we were then. It’s a big game for us with Cove and Montrose playing each other, we really need to win to keep the pressure on both of them.

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m not sure if Saturday’s game was sold out but the previous two were. I think this Saturday’s game should sell out though.

The good news for you is McCabe has player centre back near enough every game since then and McInroy’s loan expires tomorrow, so unless we somehow get him back he won’t be playing on Saturday which will be a big miss. I’m expecting Josh Kerr to come back in at centre back for his first start in a while with McCabe moving into midfield, which I’d prefer as Kerr has a bit more physicality for dealing with Dowds. I’m expecting a much tighter game than last time, probably more like the first game this season albeit Airdrie are a much better side now than we were then. It’s a big game for us with Cove and Montrose playing each other, we really need to win to keep the pressure on both of them.

Rennie & Miller take note. On a serious note I have no idea why he's playing at this level. Out of contract in the summer so surely he'll be keen to continue playing regularly with you lot to put himself in with the best chance of getting a decent deal higher up the leagues.

I'm not sure the suggestion McInroy's loan ends tomorrow is accurate. I think you might find he's with us this Saturday. 

We need to play our game and absolutely get stuck in from the first minute. It's a winnable game and even with Falkirk's current revival we should still be looking to win this, especially being at home. 

Our current form is superb but I do think this will be our toughest game in a while. The new manager bounce coupled with scoring 6 goals on Saturday will no doubt have Falkirk fired up for this. A very different prospect to when we last played. 

With the visitors an hilarious 13 points behind us, it really is a must win for them if they have any serious intentions. 

The return of Dowds makes them more of a threat up front and Taylor-Sinclair is a improvement defensively at least on paper (albeit not sure how he'll stand up to the pace of guys like Smith) but the reason we massacred them in the last fixture was the absolute dominance of the midfield. If McInroy cannot be brought back on loan ahead of the match then that will be a blow, but our midfield remains significantly the stronger regardless.

Attack at pace and avoid giving them any gifts, and we'll win this game. 

What worries me the most is something which we all witnessed on Saturday. Slackness and complacency at the back in terms of the crossfield ball between McCabe and Fordyce. Someone like Morrison will take advantage of this if they don't sharpen up. Having looked at the Falkirk/Dumbarton highlights however Falkirk should not expect the numerous free gifts that were presented to them over ninety minutes. Should be a cracking game and I believe the pressure is all on Falkirk as a loss will make it very difficult for them to catch Queens Park, who will undoubtedly improve with a new manager.

15 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yes, the Daily Record is never wrong and doesn't just pick up information from social media as an example of lazy journalism. 

It quotes Kerr and Aggy directly. DR have evidently spoken to them after the game. 

Doesn't mean Airdrie won't be able to make a deal to get him back between now and the game on Saturday, of course, but I'd be taking it as read that Kerr has indeed gone back to Celtic today as he and Scott Agnew state in direct quotes. 

As much as McInroy makes a huge difference to our midfield, I don’t think our team is significantly weaker without him. We have a really solid midfield which McInroy definitely adds to but we can certainly still dominate games with Easton, Frizzell and Aggy etc. 

The only area I feel Falkirk are better than us is up top. They have a real nippy player in Morrison and Dowds seems to be right up for it. I did watch the highlights and can agree that at least 3 of the 6 goals were pretty much gifted. Airdrie are very solid at the back but we’ve been playing some danger balls which will be easily lapped up by a decent striker. 

I think it will definitely be an interesting game considering how both teams like to hold possession and build play up. I haven’t really seen any better on the ball teams than Airdrie this season though. The movement in an around the box is exceptional at times and if Falkirk are as weak at the back as people say then we could cause problems. 

I’m going 3-2 Airdrie. 

Edited by Diamond1924

Whilst we desperately need new signings to replace Hall, McKay and Miller, if we don't bring anyone in between now and Saturday I'd go with the same 11 that started against Dumbarton

Martin

Williamson McKay Hall Taylor-Sinclair McCann

Telfer Miller McGuffie

Morrison Dowds

Which leaves Keena and Nesbitt to come on for impact on what is otherwise a woeful bench