African Nations Cup - Cameroon 2021 (2022)

HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Smurph said:

Two VAR penalties, a red card, a water break and nine subs in the second half. Negative 15 seconds extra time.

He wouldn't need to try that in a Celtic game...

I actually missed the finish as some one was down, I think, and I clicked out og the match, but I thought to myself there had been two water breaks + substititions there will be about 4/5 minutes additional, came back in and intially was confused as to what was happening.

Hope the next game has more bizarre incidents!

45  minute delay in the kick off, anybody know why?

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

He wouldn't need to try that in a Celtic game...

I actually missed the finish as some one was down, I think, and I clicked out og the match, but I thought to myself there had been two water breaks + substititions there will be about 4/5 minutes additional, came back in and intially was confused as to what was happening.

Hope the next game has more bizarre incidents!

45  minute delay in the kick off, anybody know why?

Game is being played at the same stadium so the 2 nations wouldn’t of had a proper warm up as Mali didn’t leave the pitch until roughly 15:30. 

6 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Game is being played at the same stadium so the 2 nations wouldn’t of had a proper warm up as Mali didn’t leave the pitch until roughly 15:30. 

I wondered if it had something to do with the previous game.

I wouldn't like to be stuck behind the goals at that stadium.

5 minutes ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

If it was corruption, he wouldn’t have sent off the Mali player. Sounds more like incompetence. However that doesn’t explain 3 other officials not questioning the time!

He was suspended a few years ago because of an investigation into corruption.

I think he's just THAT bad. I'll never complain about Willie Collum again (until I next see him)

You've got to love the Africa Cup of Nations. Mayhem guaranteed.Didn't watch game but BBC report says ref blew 5mins early in 1st half, then 5mins early in 2nd half which suggests he's got a faulty watch, then having been implored to continue blew just short of 90min which obviously meant no stoppagetime.

If so why on earth did nobody help him out after either of these previous "false alarms"?

There was an incident at a Melrose rugby game within last 10yrs or so where referee blew for FT with quite a lot of time left (73mins rings a bell)... but that was without warning and he refused to accept there was a problem, and there wouldn't be anybody else neutral present apart from his linesmen. Perhaps not even those as club rugby in Scotland makes much use of club linesmen.

Beggars belief you can have a problem arise on 40mins and/or 85mins that leads to play being stopped and restarted in a stadium full of CAF officials - but no other person then keeps ref right?

There's a few Villa fans on here, they might remember a European game back in the early 00s where the referee blew up a few minutes early, the irony being he was Swiss.

There was also the Scotland v Argentina game in the last Woman's World Cup which I think had reached 90 on the clock but came with a number of VAR stoppages, and was stopped ridiculously early.

There was also a school match where I work where the referee went home at half-time as one of the teams was 24-0 up (30 minute halves). Not so much a lack of timekeeping skill that one.

While there have been occasional flashes of exciting play, I'm afraid the thing that sticks in my mind about the four or five games I've watched so far is the constant cheating on show. Players seem to have been coached in the dark art of simulation, with many flinging themselves to the ground as if shot, holding random parts of their anatomy after an opponent has had the audacity to occupy the same postcode as them, and despite replays showing little or no contact.

I had intended watching a fair bit of the tournament, but I'm having second thoughts now. Also, although there has been some entertaining play, the standard of the crucial final ball, and particularly the shooting is abject, to say the least. 

On 09/01/2022 at 17:54, red23 said:

"If you don't like or watch Afcon you are a racist" - Ian Wright

27 minutes ago, red23 said:

Yes, Ian Wright was correct, people don't watch afcon because they are racist. nothing to do with it being a sub standard joke of a tournament. 

Why are you so utterly rattled by Ian Wright?