Jump to content

Inverness v Queens


Recommended Posts

Do we even know if the board tried to get Reilly, did he want to come here, did Livingston want him to come here?  Maybe not Queens' fault he went to Morton. He's now scored 3 goals in 2 games, how many blanks did he fire up til then.  Morton fans were calling for him to be dropped before that. 

Did u catch many of Gavins games in his 5-year spell with us?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Do we even know if the board tried to get Reilly, did he want to come here, did Livingston want him to come here?  Maybe not Queens' fault he went to Morton. He's now scored 3 goals in 2 games, how many blanks did he fire up til then.  Morton fans were calling for him to be dropped before that. 

Yes that's pretty much my view. Wasn't that bothered that we didn't sign him. Hadn't done much of note for a good while and think he was also just coming back from a significant injury at Livi. Struggled initially at Morton (i think) and looked way off the pace when he came on as a sub against us in the Challenge Cup match in December. He may well turn out to be a really good signing for Morton but who knows.

Edit to add he was a fine player for us but that's a good while ago now.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy with that. I doubt any QoS fan thought we'd manage a point today, especially after going 2-1 down. Good that Roy got himself a goal, hopefully boost his confidence for next week when he comes off the bench again...

How did Gordon do overall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was surprised in the earlier part of this thread how many QOS fans criticised their team and predicted a Caley win, after watching the game live today I now see how justified that criticism is and why QOS are where they are in the league.

QOS today had no shape to their game, it was based an totally run and run and run and spoil, however the end result gave them a much needed point.

What did annoy me today was the unprofessionalism shown by the QOS players towards the last 15 mins of the game, players who feign injury to defuse a situation happens, but to have a team commit to this time after time with so many players over the last 15 minutes makes a mockery of the professional game, behaving like daft wee schoolboys brings discredit to their team, if players cannot control a game fairly and honestly then they should not be on the park.

Caley for their part lacked firepower and we need to bring in strikers as soon as.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was surprised in the earlier part of this thread how many QOS fans criticised their team and predicted a Caley win, after watching the game live today I now see how justified that criticism is and why QOS are where they are in the league.
QOS today had no shape to their game, it was based an totally run and run and run and spoil, however the end result gave them a much needed point.
What did annoy me today was the unprofessionalism shown by the QOS players towards the last 15 mins of the game, players who feign injury to defuse a situation happens, but to have a team commit to this time after time with so many players over the last 15 minutes makes a mockery of the professional game, behaving like daft wee schoolboys brings discredit to their team, if players cannot control a game fairly and honestly then they should not be on the park.
Caley for their part lacked firepower and we need to bring in strikers as soon as.
 

Delicious.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

What did annoy me today was the unprofessionalism shown by the QOS players towards the last 15 mins of the game, players who feign injury to defuse a situation happens, but to have a team commit to this time after time with so many players over the last 15 minutes makes a mockery of the professional game, behaving like daft wee schoolboys brings discredit to their team, if players cannot control a game fairly and honestly then they should not be on the park.

 

😆

Feigning injury! We finished with 9 men effectively. We have a player who finished the game and had to get someone else to drive his car down the road because he wasnt capable of driving it back himself. 

Dont let that stop you working yourself up into a lather about people feigning injury though you dafty. Were you one of the clowns behind the away dugout going ape about an 18 yr old lying in his own penalty area while Inverness were throwing crosses on top of him? 

Edited by Skyline Drifter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought the 3-5-2 worked well for us first half and we limited Caley to a few half chances.Played some good stuff on the deck in that period and Gordon gave us a decent option by getting ahead of the ball from midfield. Great move for the opening goal and if Connelly had scored from Gordon’s cut back early in second half we might just have done enough. As it was things degenerated after that and losing that awful goal from the keeper’s punt was a huge downer. After going 1-2 down our equaliser came out of nothing and against run of play.

Players gave everything today - Nditi, Gibson first half, Gordon and Connelly played really well but McGrory was terrific today. 

Given other results vital to get something  - and hopefully we can get some reinforcements before next match.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First Queens goal looked onside to me and their second was quite rightly given as it wasn’t offside.

Whoever the number 10 was was my MOTM. Probably should have had a hat trick, at least.

We just aren’t very good and it’s remarkable that we are as high up the league as we are. Need at least 3 or 4 good quality players brought in this month.

Again, I still have question marks over Dodds. We don’t really look like we have a clue or have a plan when we are attacking to try and break a team down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

First Queens goal looked onside to me and their second was quite rightly given as it wasn’t offside.

Whoever the number 10 was was my MOTM. Probably should have had a hat trick, at least.

We just aren’t very good and it’s remarkable that we are as high up the league as we are. Need at least 3 or 4 good quality players brought in this month.

Again, I still have question marks over Dodds. We don’t really look like we have a clue or have a plan when we are attacking to try and break a team down.

Queens Number 10 is Lee Connelly, the club's top league scorer (7) and joint top scorer with Ally Roy both with (9).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

😆

Feigning injury! We finished with 9 men effectively. We have a player who finished the game and had to get someone else to drive his car down the road because he wasnt capable of driving it back himself. 

Dont let that stop you working yourself up into a lather about people feigning injury though you dafty. Were you one of the clowns behind the away dugout going ape about an 18 yr old lying in his own penalty area while Inverness were throwing crosses on top of him? 

All I could hear on their stream was a young Caley Jags fan complaining every time a Queens player went down injured in the closing 15 mins...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dodds out! comes a pitiful cry from Thurso.

We could do with bringing a couple of new faces into the team though, looks like we are going to be struggling to keep up with Arbroath and eventually Kilmarnock when they get going under McInnes.

Had a look on CTO and it looks like there are a few yet to be convinced by Billy Dodds now we've lost that early season bounce. When things are not going right best way to see if the team has the the ability to get through this and see if Dodds and the coaching staff might try out something new in how we play. Having said that no one in the league has any constant form at all right now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was grim. After a decent opening 15 - 20 minutes from Queens, during which they probably should have scored at least once, we started to get on top and looked like ending the first half the stronger side.

Queens main attacking plan seemed to be trying to slide the ball in behind our CBs for Connelly to latch on to and we got a glimpse of this when Paton (I think) burst through and looked set to round Ridgers but fortunately a well timed challenge snuffed out this threat.

Deas had a couple of decent chances which fell to him at the left edge of the box but your CB filling in at left back probably doesn't have the greatest shooting boots in the world and it showed as he snatched at both efforts. Walsh had a good chance to score as well but I think he tried to be too cute and attempted to shoot back across Rae in goal instead of sending a shot away from him.

The opening goal looked miles offside but that was probably because there was one Queens player standing ahead of Connelly before he raced clear to round Ridgers and, eventually, put the ball into the net. At the time I thought he was offside but folk watching on the stream said he was played onside by Broadfoot. Still annoying given we had a taste of this minutes before with the aforementioned Paton chance.

In the second half and Devine made a desperate challenge to stop a second Queens goal throwing himself in front of a goal bound shot from a few yards out. A bit of route one got us level with a long thump downfield by Ridgers and it looked like Gibson got in a right state trying to decide if he was going to clear the ball or not and Mckay took it off him to bundle in the equaliser.

Sutherland had a good chance to get the second goal for us but seemed to take forever to actually get his shot away and a Queens defender did well to deflect the effort behind for a corner. 

The second for ICT did come eventually with Mckay flicking the ball on for Walsh who got in behind the defence and finished well across Rae. 

But only a few minutes later Queens were back level and no one seemed to know what exactly had happened with Roy turning hom a cross whilst in an offside position. At the game I could only think that the ball had come off an ICT player so Roy couldn't therefore be offside and from what I've read it seems the ball was actually played to him by Carson so the goal, sadly, stood.

An absolutely gutting result with Arbroath winning and other sides around us faltering. Queens looked decent in spells but seemed a bit of a mess at the back and it's frustrating that we couldn't take advantage of this as I felt we had enough chances to put the game to bed. That said I still think we were very poor again and whilst the likes of Mckay and McAlear turned in good performances we need more from the likes of Walsh (although he did score today) and we also need some fresh faces in quickly to try and give the squad a lift. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, RiG said:

That was grim. After a decent opening 15 - 20 minutes from Queens, during which they probably should have scored at least once, we started to get on top and looked like ending the first half the stronger side.

Queens main attacking plan seemed to be trying to slide the ball in behind our CBs for Connelly to latch on to and we got a glimpse of this when Paton (I think) burst through and looked set to round Ridgers but fortunately a well timed challenge snuffed out this threat.

Deas had a couple of decent chances which fell to him at the left edge of the box but your CB filling in at left back probably doesn't have the greatest shooting boots in the world and it showed as he snatched at both efforts. Walsh had a good chance to score as well but I think he tried to be too cute and attempted to shoot back across Rae in goal instead of sending a shot away from him.

The opening goal looked miles offside but that was probably because there was one Queens player standing ahead of Connelly before he raced clear to round Ridgers and, eventually, put the ball into the net. At the time I thought he was offside but folk watching on the stream said he was played onside by Broadfoot. Still annoying given we had a taste of this minutes before with the aforementioned Paton chance.

In the second half and Devine made a desperate challenge to stop a second Queens goal throwing himself in front of a goal bound shot from a few yards out. A bit of route one got us level with a long thump downfield by Ridgers and it looked like Gibson got in a right state trying to decide if he was going to clear the ball or not and Mckay took it off him to bundle in the equaliser.

Sutherland had a good chance to get the second goal for us but seemed to take forever to actually get his shot away and a Queens defender did well to deflect the effort behind for a corner. 

The second for ICT did come eventually with Mckay flicking the ball on for Walsh who got in behind the defence and finished well across Rae. 

But only a few minutes later Queens were back level and no one seemed to know what exactly had happened with Roy turning hom a cross whilst in an offside position. At the game I could only think that the ball had come off an ICT player so Roy couldn't therefore be offside and from what I've read it seems the ball was actually played to him by Carson so the goal, sadly, stood.

An absolutely gutting result with Arbroath winning and other sides around us faltering. Queens looked decent in spells but seemed a bit of a mess at the back and it's frustrating that we couldn't take advantage of this as I felt we had enough chances to put the game to bed. That said I still think we were very poor again and whilst the likes of Mckay and McAlear turned in good performances we need more from the likes of Walsh (although he did score today) and we also need some fresh faces in quickly to try and give the squad a lift. 

Doing Billy McKay a bit of a disservice here! It was a lovely back heel to play through Walsh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sidofthesouth said:


Did u catch many of Gavins games in his 5-year spell with us?

Yes, probably all of them, and your point is.?  I'm not that short sighted to think that a player who was prolific for us a decade ago will still give the same goal return. He's hardly been prolific with any of the teams he's been at since then. My main problem with people saying we should have signed him was that they make it sound like a formality that he would have come here if we wanted him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes, probably all of them, and your point is.?  I'm not that short sighted to think that a player who was prolific for us a decade ago will still give the same goal return. He's hardly been prolific with any of the teams he's been at since then. My main problem with people saying we should have signed him was that they make it sound like a formality that he would have come here if we wanted him. 

I heard from people close to him he would have jumped at the chance to play for his local club again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A much better performance today, lots of hard work and graft from a very makeshift looking team.  Nditi and Johnston in particular looked totally out on their feet come full-time.  Difficult to judge the legitimacy of our goals - the replays didn't make things much clearer.  Connelly looked in line with Broadfoot for the first, the second there were too many bodies between Roy and the camera to see if the ball took a deflection.  Connelly, Rae and McGrory were the stand out players and Gordon brought more of a forward dynamic to the midfield which is much needed.

We desperately need to sign a centre back in this window though to play alongside McKay when he returns - East is reasonably competent but prone to the odd gaffe, and I think it's time that the Gibson-as-centre-back experiment was dropped as he is also understandably error prone in that unfamiliar role and is much more influential when able to venture forward.

Inverness blew it by being wasteful in and around the box.  Walsh gave us problems all afternoon and was I thought their best player, but the usually impressive Carson failed to threaten as much as he usually does.  They have definitely been the poorest of the top 5 in games against Queens this season. 

4 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I heard from people close to him he would have jumped at the chance to play for his local club again.

Gretna 2008? 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PB1994 said:

First Queens goal looked onside to me and their second was quite rightly given as it wasn’t offside.

Whoever the number 10 was was my MOTM. Probably should have had a hat trick, at least.

I thought at the time Connelly was at least a yard off and Roy was miles off. I didn't actually know what happened with the Roy one. I saw him put the ball in the net, saw the flag go up and turned to talk to someone only to look back up and see we were lining up for centre!

I've just watched them both again though on ICT's excellent footage and I think the officials got them both right. Broadfoot hasn't got his line right on the first. He's far too deep when it's not his man who is the threat. I can't be 100% certain as on the footage Broadfoot is out of picture when the ball is played but when he appears a fraction later Connelly's maybe a foot ahead of him and the ball has already traveled 5 or 6 yards. Pretty sure they've crossed. And as for Roy's, whilst he's clearly "offside", what I thought at the time from my angle was a fairly minor deflection was actually Carson effectively playing the ball across his own 6 yard box from a Euan East header that's going about 6 yards wide. There's an argument to be had but it looks to me like he plays the ball deliberately and then Roy just capitalises on the error.

As others have said, the defending on both ICT goals leaves a lot to be desired. First one especially. Wullie gets it wrong but it's the sort of ball a no nonsense centre half like the three at the other end would just head away. We started without any centre half who is particularly good in the air. Walsh does well with a sharp turn and run at the second but Max is a fraction late to react to it and never catches him.

It was a good game, I imagine ICT will feel they should have won as Rae made some great saves, certainly more than Ridgers did, but then if Connelly makes it 2-0 as he should have we're probably not pegged back. All four goals were certainly preventable but I thought a draw was reasonably fair.

Edited by Skyline Drifter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought at the time Connelly was at least a yard off and Roy was miles off. I didn't actually know what happened with the Roy one. I saw him put the ball in the net, saw the flag go up and turned to talk to someone only to look back up and see we were lining up for centre!

I've just watched them both again though on ICT's excellent footage and I think the officials got them both right. Broadfoot hasn't got his line right on the first. He's far too deep when it's not his man who is the threat. I can't be 100% certain as on the footage Broadfoot is out of picture when the ball is played but when he appears a fraction later Connelly's maybe a foot ahead of him and the ball has already traveled 5 or 6 yards. Pretty sure they've crossed. And as for Roy's, whilst he's clearly "offside", what I thought at the time from my angle was a fairly minor deflection was actually Carson effectively playing the ball across his own 6 yard box from a Euan East header that's going about 6 yards wide. There's an argument to be had but it looks to me like he plays the ball deliberately and then Roy just capitalises on the error.

As others have said, the defending on both ICT goals leaves a lot to be desired. First one especially. Wullie gets it wrong but it's the sort of ball a no nonsense centre half like the three at the other end would just head away. We started without any centre half who is particularly good in the air. Walsh does well with a sharp turn and run at the second but Max is a fraction late to react to it and never catches him.

It was a good game, I imagine ICT will feel they should have won as Rae made some great saves, certainly more than Ridgers did, but then if Connelly makes it 2-0 as he should have we're probably not pegged back. All four goals were certainly preventable but I thought a draw was reasonably fair.

Roy was 100% in an offside position but it was Carson who played the ball to him. I haven’t seen any replays of it but it looked like he was trying to stop the ball going to the man who was on the back post and just made a mess of it.

I was delighted when the flag went up as I thought we had got away with one but in the end it was great referring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...