Thoughts on independence

Buc1958

58 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Being opposed to political independence for any country is an abnormal view.

This kinda depends on yer definition of a country. There are more secessionist movements than there are countries and most don't have popular support so, conversely, wanting political independence is usually seen as the abnormal view

2 hours ago, Goomba said:

Anyway, there's no chance of the government allowing an IndyRef when Scots don't want one, don't want independence and largely believe the issue to be settled.  The current Tory mandate to say NO to IndyRef2 still applies.

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF😬

"Allowing"

Scottish football allowed a second Rangers. Fair enough.

Do you believe the people of Scotland should need to ask someone to "allow" them their democratic choice of a second referendum?

I have been pro independe for years but it is getting harder to keep supporting it. All the scottish political parties are dreadful, and these are the folk that would be running an independent Scotland. 

SNP are shite. Greens are sellouts. Tories are tories. Lib dems - never again. Labour think we all still work down the mines. 

My thoughts are that unless Scotland is a colony (now that would be bad) then Scotland is an equal partner. 

If Scotland is an equal partner it can do whatever the f**k it wants without the other three partners permission. That's equality baby!

If Scotland is a colony...

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I have been pro independe for years but it is getting harder to keep supporting it. All the scottish political parties are dreadful, and these are the folk that would be running an independent Scotland. 

SNP are shite. Greens are sellouts. Tories are tories. Lib dems - never again. Labour think we all still work down the mines. 

I would point out that ALL political parties in the UK are appalling. Why not have our own mince in our own country rather than mince in the UK?

10 hours ago, Goomba said:

Face it, the case for tearing the Nation in two is weaker than it ever has been.

The EU wouldn't let us back in without inflicting austerity measures that would make the Tories look like angels.  Given that the whole IndyRef2 premise is built on being 'towrn oot the EU against wur will!' then we'd really have to go for that.  That's if they even consider letting us back in at all, which is doubtful.

It's even worse for the Nats on currency too.  At least their previous currency union lie was slightly believable, but it'd just seem utterly ridiculous now.  Ditch the Pound and support for Separation would plummet.

Anyway, there's no chance of the government allowing an IndyRef when Scots don't want one, don't want independence and largely believe the issue to be settled.  The current Tory mandate to say NO to IndyRef2 still applies.

That lot over the border in another country can't stop Scotland from being independent against our will 

Secondly if that lot were keeping Scotland financially they would let us go

They are conning us into believing we can't manage without their "broad shoulders aye right ask Norway Sweeden Denmark and a host of other countries with similar population as to Scotland's .

Norway for example are the 2nd richest country in the world .

During Covid lockdown they took 46bn out of their savings and are now paying for all of their people some of the extortionate fuel price rises to help them out .

Scotland can and will make a far better job than that lot over the border and we won't sell off the NHS. 

That sell off is starting already .

Scotland will be independent free in 23 .

The only way we were given the last referendum was because that lot over the border thought we were no hopers sitting on around 23%.

Oh but when we took the lead panic set in and that lying 3 new powers never happened nor did we get to build the frigates promised 

The union will die the sooner the better .

Edited by Buc1958

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This kinda depends on yer definition of a country. There are more secessionist movements than there are countries and most don't have popular support so, conversely, wanting political independence is usually seen as the abnormal view

Virtually nobody argues that Scotland isn’t a country. Being opposed to a country having political independence is abnormal behaviour.

16 hours ago, Goomba said:

I'm dead against it, just like most Scots.  Splitting us from our countrymen and women by creating an artificial border across the Nation seems like an awful idea.

We have England to thank for saving us from bankruptcy in the 1700s.  Let's stay together.

You're not with most Scots though are you? The majority voted to elect representatives in favour of holding a vote.

All borders are artificial. The one across the island of Ireland is newer than the one established in the articles of union. The newest is the one across the Irish sea which was created by this UK government. Completely artificial.

It's not the 1700s anymore. The government in Scotland is back in session. We can do better. I'm a bit of a unionist myself. The European Union. What a great example of being better together.

Aye, let's stick with Boris Johnson then.

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Aye, let's stick with Boris Johnson then.

Good stuff, you are welcome to him.

It's amazing why the yoondums always put their country "Scotland" down but I understand why they see the yoonion the way they do .

But it's short term now .😁

Free in 23 .oh YES 

Edited by Buc1958

I voted for independence in 2014 and will do again.

The UK is an outdated and undemocratic union, full of outdated and undemocratic machinations i.e. the monarchy, House of Lords, the fact that NI, Wales and Scotland could vote overwhelmingly in favour for one party and still get the party England votes for.

The UK is a laughing stock on the world stage and has been for some time. It's time for Scotland to break away.

6 hours ago, Buc1958 said:

Scotland will be independent free in 23 .

I always admire you blind optimism but if I had a pound for every time you've told me that I'd be a rich man.

It's probably as many times as Thorongil has told me that the new Rangers are going into liquidation.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

The UK is an outdated and undemocratic union, full of outdated and undemocratic machinations i.e. the monarchy, House of Lords, the fact that NI, Wales and Scotland could vote overwhelmingly in favour for one party and still get the party England votes for.

Another one who doesn't understand either the A of U or our electoral system.