Thoughts on independence

Buc1958

I'm in favour of independence and there's many reasons we are a wealthy country and Westminster are panicking about losing us instead of owning Scotland .

I have zero time for the british state and how they treat us with contempt .

https://www.believeinscotland.org/westminster-lies-about-independence-and-how-to-disprove-them/

3 hours ago, Buc1958 said:

I'm in favour of independence and there's many reasons we are a wealthy country and Westminster are panicking about losing us instead of owning Scotland .

No.  There's one overwhelming reason why we're a wealthy country and that's our amalgamation with England in 1707.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

No.  There's one overwhelming reason why we're a wealthy country and that's our amalgamation with England in 1707.

England didn't give US oil and gas they blew the trillions from it .

England didn't give us whisky .

England didn't give us the renewables needed to at one point feed most of Europe .

We now feed 25% of the UK with renewables .

England didn't give us Scotland's water in abundance .

That lot are 2 trillion in the red not of Scotland's doing .

I could go on but I won't  I've said enough .

They need Scotland and they know it pity you don't .

Edited by Buc1958

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I’d say the “overwhelming reason” was our gang rape of massive parts of the world rather than the dissolving of Scotland’s Parliament in favour of sending folk to sit in England’s. Because the idea that wealth just magically came from a reshuffling of governance on this island rather than - you know - massive-scale, international stealing is pretty stupid.

I'm dead against it, just like most Scots.  Splitting us from our countrymen and women by creating an artificial border across the Nation seems like an awful idea.

We have England to thank for saving us from bankruptcy in the 1700s.  Let's stay together.

3 minutes ago, Goomba said:

I'm dead against it, just like most Scots.  Splitting us from our countrymen and women by creating an artificial border across the Nation seems like an awful idea.

We have England to thank for saving us from bankruptcy in the 1700s.  Let's stay together.

Most Scots now don't back the union .

Most Scots vote aye in 2014 . Westminster have robbed us and will continue to do so .

The union is on its last legs and thank goodness for that . 

5 minutes ago, Goomba said:

A sentiment which rings weak in the wake of the UK deciding that splitting up unions was a laudable ambition. As for the “too poor” argument - that’s rung a bit hollow since 2014. We get it - BritNats think Scotland is crap and don’t even want to recognise it as their nation. That’s not so much an argument for dependence as a sign of the intellectual bankruptcy of craven North Brits.

5 hours ago, Buc1958 said:

England didn't give US oil and gas they blew the trillions from it .

England didn't give us whisky .

England didn't give us Scotland's water in abundance .

Whisky's had a bit of a shocker recently.  Hope it recovers quickly as it's a truly world-class product.  Not sure how much more revenue there is in it for Scotland, though.  For sure, we'd all like to see more growth but it'll be a while - and it also depends on how the brands' owners - mostly outside of Scotland - perform.

How much revenue did Scotland generate from water exports last year?  What's the outlook for sales like?

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Finally someone addressing the elephant in the room on this forum 

I’m less supportive of Independence if we all have to keep elephants in our rooms.

Probably still 60/40 in favour though.

5 hours ago, Antlion said:

I’d say the “overwhelming reason” was our gang rape of massive parts of the world rather than the dissolving of Scotland’s Parliament in favour of sending folk to sit in England’s. Because the idea that wealth just magically came from a reshuffling of governance on this island rather than - you know - massive-scale, international stealing is pretty stupid.

Good to see you acknowledge that our merger with England was the springboard from an agrarian backwater with hardly twa bawbees to rub together to being one of the wealthiest nations on earth  - however much you think the means were nefarious.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good to see you acknowledge that our merger with England was the springboard from an agrarian backwater with hardly twa bawbees to rub together to being one of the wealthiest nations on earth  - however much you think the means were nefarious.

Good to see you know the difference between a “springboard” and an “overwhelming reason”. It’s not really me that things the means were nefarious so much as it is most of the modern world. The only crackpots that would defend those means are the rabid, alt-right racists and xenophobes whose tweets you enjoy sharing and promoting.

Face it, the case for tearing the Nation in two is weaker than it ever has been.

The EU wouldn't let us back in without inflicting austerity measures that would make the Tories look like angels.  Given that the whole IndyRef2 premise is built on being 'towrn oot the EU against wur will!' then we'd really have to go for that.  That's if they even consider letting us back in at all, which is doubtful.

It's even worse for the Nats on currency too.  At least their previous currency union lie was slightly believable, but it'd just seem utterly ridiculous now.  Ditch the Pound and support for Separation would plummet.

Anyway, there's no chance of the government allowing an IndyRef when Scots don't want one, don't want independence and largely believe the issue to be settled.  The current Tory mandate to say NO to IndyRef2 still applies.

10 minutes ago, Goomba said:

Face it, the case for tearing the Nation in two is weaker than it ever has been.

Tearing what’s left of the nation in two, surely? Your nation was already irreparably torn asunder in the 1920s. It’s broken. Fragmented. Bleeding. I’m surprised you missed that.