Funky Nosejob

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Listen to this with earphones.

Oh, and just wait until @btb gets a hold of this thread.

Time was Ida put my fightin' boots on but I've mellowed and I realize these days it's down to personal taste, the one point I'd like to make is I think that the importance of Punk is over-rated, many of the bands associated with it were muzos hitching a temporary ride The Clash (I remember the tears spilt when they signed to CBS)/The Stranglers, not really punk at all The Jam, Elvis Costello, wannabe popstars like Adam & The Ants & Billy Idol/Gen X :whistle or pretty mediocre X Ray Spex and Jilted John (first played on John Peel's show, so no revisionism).

I enjoyed some of the cartoon heroes like The (sic) Pistols who coulda been contenders if they hadn't been so easily manipulated by their manager MM & The Ramones. Across the pond the scene was different the NY bands like Patti Smith & Talking Heads coming from a completely different musical source. I suppose the biggest contribution Punk made was to kick the doors down and make releasing music easier for subsequent non-punk artists (2 Tone) but I remember 1977 and musically the angriest album of the year remains Animals by Pink Floyd - the truest punks of all.

The reason punk rock seems so influential is that it's a catch all for most of the new bands from 76-78, even Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were lumped in by some folk....

When I was asked to interview Tom Petty, I had one nagging thought: Is he new wave? Granted the press has labeled him new wave (spelled p-u-n-k), but superficially I had my doubts. 

What connects TP&TH with Ultravox who were also described as being punk in some quarters - other than when they released their first albums but musically they have little in common.

Ultravox had its roots as a glam-meets punk outfit 

Oh and punk died roundabout 1978 whatever bands like Green Day are they're not punk - I'd say they are to punk like The Yardbirds are to the blues!

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Can I recommend this (if you're not aware of it already)

CDCHD-1582-Cafe-Exil_700_700.jpg.bc8ed21ff83e030010e77a07625122c5.jpg

Cheers, I was actually looking at that a couple of weeks ago. Some of Bob Stanley's comps look pretty good.

Edit - If you're interested in the German music scene then this documentary here is worth checking out.

Edited by Paul Kersey

On 06/01/2022 at 10:41, Funky Nosejob said:

The decade where music lost its way and, unsurprisingly, has never merited a revival.
It started off on a drug fuelled experimental high before veering off into yacht rock, teddy boy tributes and multiple novelty hits for The Wombles, Little Jimmy Osmond and, most depressingly of all, The Smurfs. Ultimately, it took punk to shake it out of its stupor. 
But there were still some diamonds in the rough. Let’s hear your gems. 

And, to show I’ve no gripe with disco done well, this “ear worm” track. 

The seventies revival was in the 90s and was early noughties consistent with the standard 20-25 year nostalgia lag. 

Flares bars were a common sight and half of britpop was "borrowed" from T rex, bowie etc. 

Here's some Elastica: