The Apprentice 2022

smpar

Holy mother of god that was super shite all round. I’d have sacked the lot of them and just declared Harpreet the winner.

Aaron shouldn’t have been so weak and put Brittany in the kitchen the big sook. I loved how ruthless the retailers were with the feedback.

Really looking forward to the interviews and the return of Claude next week.

8 hours ago, Albertlegend said:

This has to be the worst group of candidates ever, genuinely hopeless! 

When the show started it used to be a topic of conversation amongst sales guys like me - how we'd do it differently, good lines etc. Not any more because it has gone so far below the level of bumbling amateurs. These aren't business people, they're not salesmen or marketeers - they're wannabe reality contestants who just really, really want to be on the telly. Freaks and weirdos in the circus ring. Nobody who is serious about what they do would want to be associated with this programme. It's even giving reputational damage to the likes of Karen Brady and Claude Littner.

53 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

When the show started it used to be a topic of conversation amongst sales guys like me - how we'd do it differently, good lines etc. Not any more because it has gone so far below the level of bumbling amateurs. These aren't business people, they're not salesmen or marketeers - they're wannabe reality contestants who just really, really want to be on the telly. Freaks and weirdos in the circus ring. Nobody who is serious about what they do would want to be associated with this programme. It's even giving reputational damage to the likes of Karen Brady and Claude Littner.

I was thinking about this the other day and you're right.  If you contrast the Apprentice candidates with the vast majority of people who enter the Dragon's Den, they're like night and day.  The latter all look and sounds like serious businessmen and women, half the women on the Apprentice look and sound like they should be on Love Island, and can you imagine Akeem turning up in the Den?  He looks like a wee boy and Jones and Meaden would eat him up for breakfast.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I was thinking about this the other day and you're right.  If you contrast the Apprentice candidates with the vast majority of people who enter the Dragon's Den, they're like night and day.  The latter all look and sounds like serious businessmen and women, half the women on the Apprentice look and sound like they should be on Love Island, and can you imagine Akeem turning up in the Den?  He looks like a wee boy and Jones and Meaden would eat him up for breakfast.

Aaron was ultimately fired because he couldn't cook a baby meal. What does that have to do with business?

A 'Where Are They Now' serious on past Apprentice candidates might make better viewing.

The whole format is stupid.  They have teams of three and one person is made a 'sub team leader'?  Eh?  They always split the teams up so one team comes up with something that the other team don't like.  If you were creating any product you wouldn't do that.  The point about Aaron is right - he's not a chef, I doubt many people could come up with a good baby food on their first try under massive time pressure.  It's nonsense.

Having a baby food label with 'DIES' on it though can't be blamed on the process.

Though I do agree they are a pretty moronic people, the editing of the show does a job of making them look even more stupid than they probably are. Yesterday was a good example of how they do it actually: we saw a phonecall being made from both sides. The Aide was with the cook at this point, then in the next scene the Aides were with the design team.

It's also not very fair to them either. They clearly only have one phonecall per task. Harpreet was cut off at the end of a call yesterday and she was screaming down the phone so she clearly wasn't allowed to call them back. Utter nonsense.

If Sugar really wanted to see their business acumen he'd allow them free reign to actually do things properly. It's clearly set up to be an entertainment show now more than anything. The contestants probably do do pretty well in business but on this show they are shown to be complete buffoons.

I'd have thought Aaron would have enough credit from the last couple of weeks to survive ahead of Stephanie, who has been woeful the last three. She must have a very good business plan as she's comfortably the worst one remaining. 

I did laugh a bit at the corporate clients saying they didn't like the taste of the food. They aren't 9 months old so it's not really the clincher, is it? The packaging Stephanie put together was an absolute howler and should've been an instant firing. If you can't spot that there's no hope for you. 

Saying that, Akeem was useless and probably went because doing something really badly for the third week in a row was better than doing nothing. I'd have spared Aaron and fired him and Stephanie. 

Yep, Aaron is clearly a better candidate than Stephanie but she clearly has a better business plan than him.  They don't really do anything to put off the thought that The Apprentice is now just an extended episode of Dragon's Den do they?

The whole premise of these product launch type tasks is all wrong, they always have the branding team created brand not knowing what the product is and vice versa so it never ties in. Same with the market research, always takes place after the product is finalised and the branding is done so if they get any constructive criticism they can't change it anyway so what was the point? 

I still watch it every Week tho! 

I just noticed that of the previous five seasons including the current one, a total of 24 candidates have reached the interview stage (5 in the four prior seasons and 4 this year), including:

James White (Co-winner 2017)

Daniel Elahi (2018, fired after interviews)

Lewis Ellis (2019, fired after interviews)

The other 21 are all women.

Sugar turning into a horny old man?

I realise these tasks are not how business is really done.  However "not bad for a first attempt" should be the bare minimum.

Branding.  Who you trying to sell it to?  I don't know.  Mothers.  Mothers in a hurry.  Five seconds to grab their attention.  "Oh that looks interesting.  What's in it?"  Job done.  The name should be one word - it is not that important.

Recipe.  Doesn't need to be the best thing ever, just vaguely original and something that parents would consider feeding to their children.

Dragon's Den has had its fair share of idiots.  One person came on to sell a product that reduced the amount of water that goes into the toilet cistern (and thus save the planet).

He tried to sell it to water companies, who make money by getting people to use lots of water.

Worse of all, an alternative to his product was simply to put a brick inside the cistern and thus reduce the overall volume that way.