Coaching Carousel, 2022

lichtie23

Lions parting ways Anthony Lynn as OC

The Detroit Lions and offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn have parted ways.

Lions head coach Dan Campbell confirmed the news in his season-ending press conference Monday in Allen Park.

"Felt like this is just best for both of us," Campbell said of the move. "Look, he came here and took a leap of faith with us under the impression that he would be calling plays. It was not going to go in that direction again and that's not fair to him, either. I wish him the best and he's been a true pro. He works his tail off and he gave us everything he had and I appreciate him for that."

Lynn joined Campbell's staff last offseason after being let go as the Los Angeles Chargers head coach the previous four seasons. A former NFL running back, Lynn brought a mentality and a game plan to run the football and be physical on offense, attributes the Lions' offense did take on. But things never really clicked with the passing game and quarterback Jared Goff.

After starting 0-8 heading into their Week 9 bye week, Campbell opted to make some changes. He took over playing calling and elevated Ben Johnson to a bigger role as the passing game coordinator. Lynn still ran the offensive meeting and the run game, but he was never content with a reduced role.

"Three weeks going into this thing, knowing what Dan (Campbell) wants, tying to assist him the best I can. Very comfortable with the role. Don't mistake comfortable for liking the role," Lynn told the media last month. "But yeah, very comfortable with the role. I want to help assist Dan the best I can."

The offense was much more explosive, particularly in the passing game, coming out of the bye week with Campbell calling plays. The Lions scored a third more touchdowns the second half of the season than they did the first half (21 vs. 14). Goff had a 85.3 passer rating through his first eight games, but elevated that to 101.8 post bye, working more closely with Campbell and Johnson.

Lynn imo shouldn't have much issue finding a job for next season. Likely replacement is current Lions TE coach Ben Johnson who co-ordinated the passing game after Dan Campbell took over play-calling.

Edited by GNU_Linux

24 minutes ago, magic sign said:
1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:
Flores is more defensive minded aye?

Very much so. He's very talented at defense and he's good at improving young defensive players. He denied it, but it's widely accepted that he took over the defensive play calling during the 1-7 streak, which turned the season around.

We need someone to fix the offence. It’s been utterly anaemic this season. 

Rick Smith seems to be the favourite to become new Bears GM.

Dodd and Schoen sound good though
I heard a theory that suggested that Rick Smith might go to the Giants, so Flores could go and they would try and get Watson. It maybe a bit out-there, but I saw the logic. I suppose the same logic could apply to the Bears.

I heard a theory that suggested that Rick Smith might go to the Giants, so Flores could go and they would try and get Watson. It maybe a bit out-there, but I saw the logic. I suppose the same logic could apply to the Bears.
Can't see us going for Watson though and think we will go for an Offensive minded Head Coach

Wonder if that is confirmed. The around the nfl podcast were saying that only years 1 and 2 were guaranteed.

It’s a strange sacking. they should have been pumped every game as the team had minimal talent but they were in almost every game and won a few. Like the lions the players were out there fighting for the coach, it would have been easy to quit.

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Who was the last Head Coach to leave one team for another? Not including those who were sacked. Obviously it happens all the time in our football, but can't ever recall it in the NFL.

Gruden? Raiders to Buccs

9 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Didn't remember that. Looking at it, Bucs had to give Raiders draft picks and cash. Didn't realise it was classed as a "trade" and you had to send over draft picks. Might be part of the reason why it is so rare.

Yeah, sideway moves are to be classed as trades.  Happens if OC/DC went to do OC/DC somewhere else...