Coaching Carousel, 2022

lichtie23

As we reach the final week of the regular season black Monday is just around the corner. Which coaches will be cleaning out their office and handing back their keys to the building? 

VACANT (Current interim HC)

Jacksonville Jaguars

Las Vegas Raiders

HOT SEATS

Joe Judge - Giants

I can see Judge being booted if the Giants continue their pitiful form against Washington on Sunday. It’s just not worked for him in New York. Is Daniel Jones really his guy? Can he get anything out of Saquon? Probably not. Gettelman will definitely be away so I suppose it’s up to Mara if he wants to clean house completely. 

Matt Nagy - Bears

Nagy has been on the hot seat practically all of the season. At one point there was a media report that he was to be punted after the thanksgiving day game. I full expect him to be away.

Mike Zimmer - Vikings

I like Zimmer but I feel his time on Minnesota will end after this season. Not consistent enough with a roster good enough to be a playoff team annually. 

Matt Rhule - Panthers

The Panthers are talented, especially on defence but Rhule is 10-20 in his first 30 games. His indecision with quarterbacks as well must be a worry. I think he is the perfect college coach but isn’t quite up the the NFL standard. 

Pete Carroll - Seahawks

It’s been a mess in Seattle this year and the glory days of 2013/14 are well and truly in the past. Iv no doubt he is still liked in the locker room but he is wasting Russell Wilson’s prime years. Will Wilson even be there next season? The Seahawks could blow it all up and rebuild. 

Vic Fangio - Broncos

Not helped by poor quarterbacks I think Fangio has done ok in Denver but his name is on the hot seat list. He is coaching in probably the hardest division to get out of and his 19-28 record certainly won’t be doing that. Time for a fresh start in the Rockies? 

CANDIDATES 

Eric Bienimy (Chiefs OC) and Byron Leftwich (Buccs OC) will be the hottest names when the search begins. Jim Caldwell has apparently already interviewed with the Jaguars. Could Kellen Moore (Cowboys OC) be tempted away from Dallas? Nathaniel Hackett (Packers OC) and Brian Daboll (Bills DC) are also names being put out there. Jim Harbaugh has had a decent year at Michigan, is it time for him to step back up the the pro game? 

I think Doug Pederson is exactly what the Jags need after the Meyer fiasco. Seemingly already interviewed. I think a lot of it comes down to how much control Pederson wants, and just how much desire he has to be back in the grind of being an NFL HC.

Still don't know why Bienemy is constantly linked with HC'ing jobs. His past private history is going to put a load of teams off, and he's been interviewed over and over and never been hired. Hate to say this, but I think a lot of the reason he will still get interviews is simply to meet Rooney obligations. I can't see anyone hiring him at this point.

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think Doug Pederson is exactly what the Jags need after the Meyer fiasco. Seemingly already interviewed. I think a lot of it comes down to how much control Pederson wants, and just how much desire he has to be back in the grind of being an NFL HC.

Still don't know why Bienemy is constantly linked with HC'ing jobs. His past private history is going to put a load of teams off, and he's been interviewed over and over and never been hired. Hate to say this, but I think a lot of the reason he will still get interviews is simply to meet Rooney obligations. I can't see anyone hiring him at this point.

The Rooney rule is ridiculous and most teams interview a black/Hispanic coach as a box ticking exercise. 

17 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Daboll is the Bills OC, Leslie Frazier is the DC. Surprised Daboll didn't get picked up last year but his stock might be lower this year. Frazier would be more likely I think. 

I think Daboll was very close to being offered the LAC job last year, only Staley completely blew the staff away with his presentation. General chat from the beat guys was that the Chargers were dead set on an offensive guy after what they saw from Herbert in his rookie year, but changed their minds after it became apparent Staley was 'on a different level' to the other candidates.

Can't say I'm impressed by Staley's inability to do anything with our D this year, but I suppose he needs another off-season or two to get his own pieces in place before he can really be judged. Still, I think LAC should be winning more games given that they have a top 4 NFL offense and a D that isn't completely devoid of talent. He has his scheme, and appears to be either totally unable or unwilling to deviate away from it, even though we don't have the players and the on-field consequences are a complete shitshow.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Harbaugh to the Raiders would be the perfect fit according to Daniel Jeremiah 

GEEZ IT.

Honestly, I think we’ll give Bisaccia the deal permanently. At worst he’s going 6-6 as an interim coach where his #1 receiver killed someone and his star TE has been missing for 6 weeks. He’s done an admirable job with a middle of the pack roster which has faced lots of adversity.

But if Harbaugh is indeed a realistic option, we should still be all over it.

I think the Raiders could do worse than offer Bisaccia the job. I was impressed with him in his stint as Chargers ST Co-Ordinator. Granted, we had all-time NFL bad ST's in 2010 before he took over so it would have been difficult for him not to have made an improvement, but I've always believed that ST's more than any other part of an NFL team is where you see the tell-tale signs of good/bad coaching. Our 2011/12 units weren't world-beaters either, but we stopped seeing the blown assignments, misalignments, stupid penalties, missed tackles etc. If you have a coach that obviously understands the importance of, and teaches strong fundamentals, then you have the basis of a good HC in the making. Teams are fixated on X&O guys and offensive 'gurus' because of the way the league is going, but most of them end up coaching fundamentally flawed and lopsided teams because they lack the oversight to recognise exactly why their teams fail and correct it. You don't get that with coaches with a solid ST history. I'm still baffled as to why Dave Toub has apparently never been offered an HC'ing gig, but clowns like Mike McCoy are always a hot property.

Harbaugh has always struck me as a bit of a Mourinho character. I've heard it said of some NFL coaches 'good coach for a bad team, bad coach for a good team', and JH is, in my opinion, one of those. I did think he would have been a decent hire for LAC at one point, but he's a total control freak, looks perpetually on the brink of a volcanic meltdown, and I think his abrasive, highly-strung personality actually hampers his teams and limits what it's possible to achieve with them. I do think he's essentially a sound enough coach that will give you a basic level of performance year in, year out, but I don't think he's a 'get your team over the hump' coach, hence why I wouldn't want him coaching a stacked roster on a contender. I think he's the type who kills that sort of team rather than enhances it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

15 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think the Raiders could do worse than offer Bisaccia the job. I was impressed with him in his stint as Chargers ST Co-Ordinator. Granted, we had all-time NFL bad ST's in 2010 before he took over so it would have been difficult for him not to have made an improvement, but I've always believed that ST's more than any other part of an NFL team is where you see the tell-tale signs of good/bad coaching. Our 2011/12 units weren't world-beaters either, but we stopped seeing the blown assignments, misalignments, stupid penalties, missed tackles etc. If you have a coach that obviously understands the importance of, and teaches strong fundamentals, then you have the basis of a good HC in the making. Teams are fixated on X&O guys and offensive 'gurus' because of the way the league is going, but most of them end up coaching fundamentally flawed and lopsided teams because they lack the oversight to recognise exactly why their teams fail and correct it. You don't get that with coaches with a solid ST history. I'm still baffled as to why Dave Toub has apparently never been offered an HC'ing gig, but clowns like Mike McCoy are always a hot property.

Harbaugh has always struck me as a bit of a Mourinho character. I've heard it said of some NFL coaches 'good coach for a bad team, bad coach for a good team', and JH is, in my opinion, one of those. I did think he would have been a decent hire for LAC at one point, but he's a total control freak, looks perpetually on the brink of a volcanic meltdown, and I think his abrasive, highly-strung personality actually hampers his teams and limits what it's possible to achieve with them. I do think he's essentially a sound enough coach that will give you a basic level of performance year in, year out, but I don't think he's a 'get your team over the hump' coach, hence why I wouldn't want him coaching a stacked roster on a contender. I think he's the type who kills that sort of team rather than enhances it.

All fair comments re: Bisaccia. He’s also got the level of respect that you’d expect from a guy who has been coaching for about 40 years, which I feel that some of these younger coaches in the frame for HC jobs just won’t have. I do think he’s very conservative in his coaching and a complete disregard for things like analytics, though; he’s very old school in that respect. It almost certainly means Greg Olson and his bland playcalling would be back at OC though which is not the most exciting thing.

Bisaccia is probably best described as a safe pair of hands. Similar to what someone like Todd Bowles or Jim Caldwell would be, except Bisaccia now has the benefit of having been around the place and people for a while.

Harbaugh would be a higher risk & reward type hire. And I absolutely agree that he’s a bit of an arsehole (like Mourinho) and has no issue throwing people under the bus. But sometimes guys like him are just simply better options than nice guys because they have that extra level of drive/ambition.

I’m torn on Harbaugh and Biassica. I’m not sure who I’d really like as our next HC.
Just as long as he’s not a homophonic bigot, living on past glory, with his head stuck up his own arse!

Quite liking the idea of Greg Roman being the Bears new Head Coach. Starting to sound like we might keep Pace as GM, which would annoy me more than keeping Nagy. Constantly ignoring the OLine, we have no players under contract next season on Offence and an aging Defence and he throws away Draft picks like confetti.

Jim Harbaugh definitely seems interested in the Raiders job, but also likes the Giants and Bears allegedly.

14 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Reports from the States saying the Vikings will move on from Mike Zimmer after tomorrows game. 

Another predictable HC'ing failure. Some guys are just supposed to be career-long Coordinators. Zimmer never, ever gave off HC'ing vibes at any point, even before his hire. The fact he interviewed for virtually every single vacancy for years and never got an offer speaks volumes. Apparently he totally rubbed people up the wrong way by coming across as belligerent and pig-headed in meetings. Typical old-school hardnose DC basically.

3 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Who in their right mind would think Bill O'Brien is the right man to lead them forward?

Presumably it's one of those 'courtesy' interviews friends arrange for HC'ing canditates. Sometimes orgs are happy to do them just to have a dry run and get a bit of interview experience before they meet with the legit candidates. 

I can't believe any team, even one struggling as badly as Jax genuinely believes B O'B is worth another go-around as an NFL HC after the mess he made in Houston.