Clyde v Cove

I thought we competed well but when the other keeper doesn’t have a save to make, it tells you everything we need to know. Cove were there for the taking today and if we had Goodie up front, I think we’d have got at least a draw. That’s the difference not having him there. If he goes, that’ll be the story for the rest of the season and we’ll go down fighting but ultimately, down. 

I thought we approached the game perfectly. That is, in more or less exactly the same way we approached the last game at Broadwood against Cove. We had a compact defensive shape which made it tough for them to get behind us. And we generally kept enough pressure on the ball as well as flexibility in our shape when transitioning to attack so that we stood a chance of scoring as well as keeping a clean sheet.

All of our defenders put in solid shifts insofar as they done the jobs they were asked to. Livingstone was man of the match for me. He clearly plays with something extra against Cove. He looked a class apart at times today. Gomis was outstanding as well. And Docherty's experience, reading of the game and composure in possession shone through at times. There was an excellent physicality about our midfield and about our defending today.

Having said that all of that, we were barely a threat without Goodwillie. We rarely got behind Cove. And we were terribly wasteful with our corner kicks, so many of which didn't get past the near post. At the same time, it must be remembered that Cove are a weaker side without Megginson. They were a much more lethargic side today than I remember them.

But in the round, with the players available to us, I think the only disservice we done ourselves was with (sigh) our throw-ins. And Cuddihy's loss of possession was uncharacteristic. Albeit were we a bit smarter, we might've avoided throwing out to him where he was as I thought Cove had been giving him special attention, knowing how much more he brings than Nicoll, being a box-to-box capable midfielder.

2 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

Blaming Jones for us losing today is an absolutely wild take

No-one is blaming jones for losing but rather highlighting again how useless he is. Do you not agree? I gave him time to prove himself but that time ran out long ago. 

We got glimpse of the future today, without Goodwillie we simplify won’t score. We did ok today but gave away stupid goal and that was it. 

If the board accept less than £75k for Goodwillie them we are well and truly humped and shame on them. (And that is a steal). Also if we are looking at players the standard of Orsi in the window then the recruitment team have learned nothing!!

Edited by FREDDYFRY

2 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

If the board accept less than £75k for Goodwillie them we are well and truly humped and shame on them. (And that is a steal)

The problem within that is that if he is agitating for a move, no club is going to offer us much considering his age, the wage they'll have to pay him and the enormous baggage which accompanies him.

That we'd be so doomed without him just further highlights the miserable failures in recruitment and vision we've endured in recent years. You look at Montrose, which for about five years has kept the vast majority of its core squad consistent, been a strong loaning club and one which regularly develops promising youngsters from lower levels. It's embarrassing that our player turnover is so high, that our loanees are seldom difference-makers and that there seems to be absolutely no strategy for evolution on the footballing side. It looked like the start of something pretty special when we were bringing in the Grants and McStays but it's descended into a hand-to-mouth scramble for just about any player that's available every window.

We are already doomed if this keeps up, because Goodwillie is declining and won't be an excellent striker forever. It'd just kick the can down the road if we trudged on as a dreadful team with a star up front.

18 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

No-one is blaming jones for losing but rather highlighting again how useless he is. Do you not agree? I gave him time to prove himself but that time ran out long ago. 

I think he is a very easy scapegoat. We're also 6th in the League and matched the team that will probably win the league and only lost because of an uncharacteristic error from Barry. 

Just now, RosspCfc said:

I think he is a very easy scapegoat. We're also 6th in the League and matched the team that will probably win the league and only lost because of an uncharacteristic error from Barry. 

And the fact we never looked even close to scoring.. hence the disappointment and frustration. There are NO goals in the team in any consistent level.

4 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

Can't win games if you don't score. And when your starting "striker" can't score well... 

Criticism of Jones is folly in the main, since it's not like we expected anything different from him. We also don't have any viable alternatives to take his place. Any criticism should be directed right to Lennon for signing him and numerous other players who no other team in this league would have thought about bringing in.

22 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

We are already doomed if this keeps up, because Goodwillie is declining and won't be an excellent striker forever. It'd just kick the can down the road if we trudged on as a dreadful team with a star up front.

Totally agree with this. As much as DGW has done an amazing job, we’re the most one-star-and-ten-c*nts team you ever did see. Aside from him we have absolutely nothing. You can see it even when he’s on the park but not in the mood, we have no one else that can conjure anything.

That starting line-up today was scary and I can’t help but think we’re in a false position. We really need an upgrade in every position except in goals and maybe left back (Adam Livingstone is fine).