Scottish League 2 Trapdoor Watch 2021-22

What are league 2 fans thoughts on amount of promotion and relegation slots in terms of if your own club are struggling at bottom end of the league. The current system means even in a very poor season you might just scrape survival but if and when you go down it must feel like it could take many years to return.  Probably good chance that since east Stirling went down 2016 that no one will return within the first decade of that. Really do wonder how long before first returnee will be Could easily have 20% of the SPFL membership change before that happens. 

There should never have been a play off it should have been straight down. Maybe even two down and let HL and LL both get promoted.

Same with promotion playoffs. League above should be two down and one auto promo plus a play off winner to go up a la EPL

Should be the same set up as the rest of the leagues - 10th is automatically relegated and 9th goes into a Play Off with 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The HL/LL set up makes that a little more difficult but as long as the LL aren't involved in figuring out a solution, it's doable.

1 minute ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Should be the same set up as the rest of the leagues - 10th is automatically relegated and 9th goes into a Play Off with 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The HL/LL set up makes that a little more difficult but as long as the LL aren't involved in figuring out a solution, it's doable.

9th could play the winner of an East/West 2nd place play off. The winners of the 1st place play off would be a straight replacement for club 42.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

9th could play the winner of an East/West 2nd place play off. The winners of the 1st place play off would be a straight replacement for club 42.

Eh?

Anyway, while we have a lowland and highland split there shouldn’t be automatic promotion from both. The HL doesn’t have the depth that the LL does/will and it would be mental to promote a team from that league every season. The playoff between them works for now, club 42 should get automatically relegated. 

Just now, Muzza81 said:

Eh?

Anyway, while we have a lowland and highland split there shouldn’t be automatic promotion from both. The HL doesn’t have the depth that the LL does/will and it would be mental to promote a team from that league every season. The playoff between them works for now, club 42 should get automatically relegated. 

Aye I forgot about the divisions between east and west!

Same idea then but HL/LL.

8 hours ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

It should be.

I would have a final tweak and have a national league between tier 4 and the LL/HL. 10 teams.

Then you could have the proper one down and playoffs between The T4 and national.

Expand the lowland and take the top 5 each from the current LL/HL.

That would kind of soften the blow for relegated league sides knowing there’s more chance of getting back.

That’s what i would do anyway.

10 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Eh?

Defo the correct path for me.

4 hours ago, Sparticus said:

It should be.

I would have a final tweak and have a national league between tier 4 and the LL/HL. 10 teams.

Then you could have the proper one down and playoffs between The T4 and national.

That would kind of soften the blow for relegated league sides knowing there’s more chance of getting back.

I think that’s a terrible idea. You telling me the lowland league clubs want to play a highland league team every second game? Or vice versa?

Too much travelling for that level. 
Plus the lowland league prefer to play meaningless games v B teams.

1 hour ago, big al said:

I think that’s a terrible idea. You telling me the lowland league clubs want to play a highland league team every second game? Or vice versa?

Too much travelling for that level. 
Plus the lowland league prefer to play meaningless games v B teams.

At first you would but it would level out. Highland league teams would probably be relegated a few seasons in a row.

You’d have to do a 50/50 split at first for fairness.

16 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

15 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Eh?

I agree there probably isn't the depth in the Highland and Lowland League to merit full play offs similar to the SPFL ones yet.

But if they did, the scenario could look something like:

Club 42 - Automatic relegation

HL1 Fraserburgh v LL1 Bonnyrigg Rose - winner promoted to SPFL2

HL2 Buckie Thistle v LL2 East Kilbride

HL3 Brechin City v LL3 Spartans

Semi Finals

A  Loser of HL1/LL1 v Winner HL2/LL2

B  Winner HL3/LL3 v Club 41

Final 

Winner A v Winner B

It should be.

There is an in between option of having a Tier 5 Conference set-up. 12 teams, 6 from the Highlands and 6 from the Lowlands. Play each team from your own conference home and away twice, play each team from the other conference home and away once. A total of 32 games.

Lots of options for promotion and relegation, either taking the league as a whole or the best/worst Highland and Lowland teams.

On 08/05/2022 at 11:17, kevsmart said:

The Winners of the HL & LL should be promoted automatically to the SPFL.

L2 10th - Automatically relegated

HL champions vs LL champions - Winner gets promoted

Loser of play-off vs L2 9th for final place in L2

I'm all for a more effective and fairer pyramid but the Lowland League especially need start acting like a serious division and not accepting bribes from the OF.

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

L2 10th - Automatically relegated

HL champions vs LL champions - Winner gets promoted

Loser of play-off vs L2 9th for final place in L2

I'm all for a more effective and fairer pyramid but the Lowland League especially need start acting like a serious division and not accepting bribes from the OF.

Opening up the pyramid is the best thing thats happened to Scottish football.

The old firm have corrupted it pretty quickly.

19 hours ago, HenryHill said:

Lowland league looks crap these days. B teams, sports centres and Unis. Can we just get put straight down another league? Been years since I saw a game at Dundonald or Crossgates.

got to say,im starting to look at the lowland league and thinking "whats the point of that";theyve driven a coach&horses through the principle of a pyramid system,they should just bin it and merge teams into the Wosfl,eosfl and sosfl

got to say,im starting to look at the lowland league and thinking "whats the point of that";theyve driven a coach&horses through the principle of a pyramid system,they should just bin it and merge teams into the Wosfl,eosfl and sosfl
No, they just need to bin the B teams and add another relegation spot.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
2 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

No, they just need to bin the B teams and add another relegation spot.

They need to do something to regain some credibility.scottish football has needed a pyramid forever&within 5 minutes these bozos have buggered it up

Having dropped into Highland League I like the home and away fixture - you only play a club twice, unless you meet in the cup. Very refreshing.

However, what it lacks is a wider pool of teams playing for something right up to the end. As much as we did ok our season was done with back to back defeats in January. January! Makes it hard to draw in sponsorship and supporters.

Not necessarily moaning about missing out but I think what ever system is introduced it needs to allow more opportunity for teams to come up and L2 (in fact all Scottish Leagues) need to get away from 4 games against the same team - gets boring. More opportunity means more interest in the league for longer and helps keep paying customers coming through the door.