Scottish League 2 Trapdoor Watch 2021-22

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, roy of the rovers said:

As Cowdenbeath managed a draw they've still a mathematical chance of overtaking Elgin on goal difference but I'll give you a 1000 times better odds than any bookie as it wont happen. Rovers are safe for another year which is my main concern obviously.

You would be able to retire on a bet if it came up.

It was always going to happen we just never got close enough to either Rovers or Elgin.

Off the top of my head it’s been 12 one goal defeats this season just not been scoring enough.

we just never got close enough to either Rovers or Elgin.

Why do you think that was Cowdenbeath? Poor summer recruitment by Bollan? Ross not being the right man to succeed him? Players downing tools? Budget provided by the board?

Genuinely interested

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Why do you think that was Cowdenbeath? Poor summer recruitment by Bollan? Ross not being the right man to succeed him? Players downing tools? Budget provided by the board?

Genuinely interested

Reflecting on it I think we had too small a squad at the start of the season.

We started well in the League Cup group with 2 wins against Brechin, which would have been expected as they were rebuilding their side and Alloa.

In the league it never seemed to be the same after we lost 3-1 at home to Annan.

We were leading at the break and Greg Fleming had two outstanding saves before we took the lead in 6 minutes.

After that we beat Fraserburgh in the Challenge Cup but the following game with Stranraer had to be postponed due to a lot of covid cases.

A depleted squad then got a draw at Stenny but we lost the rearranged game with Stranraer losing late goals after leading.

From then on the former manager never won again with the worst game being a 4-2 Scottish Cup defeat from CSS at CP.

We had mostly the same starting XI and subs coming on so I suppose other managers and players quickly sussed up out.

The signs were there last season finishing 2nd bottom.

The manager had done well in his first 3 seasons taking over a hopeless case and keeping us up with the win over Cove then finishing 6th and 4th.

Maybe he was just in the same job for too long, it happens in every walk of life.

Ross to be fair has had us playing better and has a much more balanced squad.

However scoring has been a problem through out the season.

We have never been beaten by more than a 3 goal margin since he took over, and that was once at Forfar in one of his early games and they all came late on.

Our only other defeats which have been by more than 1 goal were 1-3 v Annan, with 2 penalties conceded, and 0-2 at Stranraer.

So we have a reasonable defensive record for being bottom.

summing up I would have liked Ross to have been there at the start of the season I don’t think we would have been bottom if he had been.

As for budgets I don’t know what ours is but I don’t think with the minimum wage etc anyone will have what would be classed as a poor one.

Its how a manager uses a budget, does a club like Annan who have a lower average crowd than us really spend a fortune?

I wouldn’t think so I would put it down to a good manager who probably in the main has gone unnoticed in the larger picture.

The January transfer window is a hard one, not much free agents going about so it’s mostly loans.

Some signings have been better than others as always the case.

But the club can’t be faulted for not giving the new man funds given we probably had to pay off the former management team.

Edited by cowdenbeath

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Cowden live to fight another day.

The first stage of the great escape has been completed. Only three more to go!

(p.s. I reserve the right to delete this post within 7 days).

The most important and encouraging thing for Cowden just now is that we are good enough to draw with and beat sides at the top end of the table. Unlike other sides who have gone down into the LL in recent years we aren’t in free fall and our confidence and team cohesion is building at just the right time going into the play offs. We have survived two relegation play offs previously as well so there’s a lot of life in the old dog yet ;) 

On 09/04/2022 at 23:24, Only coo in the village said:

The most important and encouraging thing for Cowden just now is that we are good enough to draw with and beat sides at the top end of the table. Unlike other sides who have gone down into the LL in recent years we aren’t in free fall and our confidence and team cohesion is building at just the right time going into the play offs. We have survived two relegation play offs previously as well so there’s a lot of life in the old dog yet ;) 

That is something I am glad to see, for your club and your fans sake. Getting goals now too.  Getting results has come too late to avoid the playoffs bar a miracle, but at least it's given you hope of getting through them. All the best to you with that.

We're in the play offs for sure.

However....see if we can sneak a win this Saturday and Elgin lose away to Stirling.  What a big match it'll be up at Borough Briggs next week!  Imagine we somehow took it to the final game when we're at home to Albion while Elgin travel all the way to Stranraer....

A man can dream :D 

On 11/04/2022 at 15:15, The Minertaur said:

We're in the play offs for sure.

However....see if we can sneak a win this Saturday and Elgin lose away to Stirling.  What a big match it'll be up at Borough Briggs next week!  Imagine we somehow took it to the final game when we're at home to Albion while Elgin travel all the way to Stranraer....

A man can dream :D 

Yeah, I was just thinking that if we the results go our way on Saturday, it could be squeaky bum time for Elgin a week on Saturday, and could make for an epic encounter.

Coincidentally, our family just happen to be having a few days up in Inverness in the school holidays, pure coincidence, no correlation that Elgin is a short jaunt along the road. 😉

Over 100000 sims (using the Roonba Scottish club ranking):

Cowdenbeath's opponent: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 59.062%, Fraserburgh 40.938%

To win the playoff:

47.461% - Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic

29.303% - Fraserburgh

23.236% - Cowdenbeath

I honestly fancy Cowdenbeath to come out in top. They have been through it before, are playing quite well (without really scoring) can juggle their squad for next two weeks and will be able to watch their opponents in two play off matches beforehand.

I also fancy Cowdenbeath to stay up but I personally think it’s better to go into the play offs “battle hardened” rather tinkering with the starting eleven in the lead up and I can assure you that Fraserburgh and I assume Bonnyrigg have already watched Cowdenbeath several times.

4 hours ago, Edgar81 said:

Over 100000 sims (using the Roonba Scottish club ranking):

Cowdenbeath's opponent: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 59.062%, Fraserburgh 40.938%

To win the playoff:

47.461% - Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic

29.303% - Fraserburgh

23.236% - Cowdenbeath

The world's shittest Nate Silver churning out this laughable nonsense.