The Phenomenon that is Arbroath F.C...................Will the bubble burst?

Assuming that someone other than Thistle are going to win the league, id ideally want that to be Arbroath or Raith - or any side who haven’t played top flight football in fucking ages basically.

I can’t see it though. Nouble will be a big loss, and while Jack Hamilton is a good player, it will still necessitate a change in style as he simply can’t do what Nouble does. They also seem to have a fairly thin squad, which might catch up with them if injuries/suspensions/Covid become a big factor. Who knows though - the side they’ve got are clearly (at very least) on a par with anything else in the division, and much better than most.

Good luck to them though. Hopefully they’ll come up through the playoffs after Thistle’s glorious and unexpected title triumph.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Assuming that someone other than Thistle are going to win the league, id ideally want that to be Arbroath or Raith - or any side who haven’t played top flight football in fucking ages basically.

I can’t see it though. Nouble will be a big loss, and while Jack Hamilton is a good player, it will still necessitate a change in style as he simply can’t do what Nouble does. They also seem to have a fairly thin squad, which might catch up with them if injuries/suspensions/Covid become a big factor. Who knows though - the side they’ve got are clearly (at very least) on a par with anything else in the division, and much better than most.

Good luck to them though. Hopefully they’ll come up through the playoffs after Thistle’s glorious and unexpected title triumph.

We’ve been dealing with all of the above by the way 

2 starters out today. 7 players out v Morton that last game we played at Gayf. We’ve dealt with missing ToB and Little. JT our first choice right back must’ve missed the first 10 league games of the season. Nicky Low has been out since the Friday night TV game at home to Killie. Definitely had to use our squad well but we’ve got a lot of players who can play several positions. Not trying to say that might not affect us but same could be said of every team and we’ve already had to deal with a whole lot. 

It's astonishing that they are where they are - especially considering they have done what no other team could dream of and surrender both a 2-0 and a 1-0 lead against Ayr and only manage 2 draws 😬

It's birthday caird pish of course but I'd absolutely love it if they won it for the underdog story.   

Still think Killie will spend enough £ in the latter half of January to grind out a title win, but Arbroath will be in playoffs. 

As one of the many articles I've read recently have pointed out - It's not quite the fairytale of a bunch of farmers and postmen having the season of their lives - they have plenty players who could be full time if they wanted to and use the loan market well, with a perfect manager to knit that all together - they're a very good side. 

Edited by Hursty

33 minutes ago, Hursty said:

It's astonishing that they are where they are - especially considering they have done what no other team could dream of and surrender both a 2-0 and a 1-0 lead against Ayr and only manage 2 draws 😬

It's birthday caird pish of course but I'd absolutely love it if they won it for the underdog story.   

Still think Killie will spend enough £ in the latter half of January to grind out a title win, but Arbroath will be in playoffs. 

As one of the many articles I've read recently have pointed out - It's not quite the fairytale of a bunch of farmers and postmen having the season of their lives - they have plenty players who could be full time if they wanted to and use the loan market well, with a perfect manager to knit that all together - they're a very good side. 

Of course and it’s been one of my pet peeves since coming into this league. Our players will be getting paid well, some of them rather handsomely considering it’s a wage for 2 nights training and a game on a Saturday. And that’s not from a Kelty or QP type bankrolled by a businessman type way it’s from the community backing the club. 1100 season ticket holders now and average crowds have been in the 14/1500s the last 3 seasons. They’ll be on good part time wages. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Really hope Arbroath can do it. Would be absolutely brilliant to see.

^^^ this.  Bought the stream yesterday, first time in a long time I’ve paid to watch a team I do not support.

FWIW the game (and the stream) could have been better but a draw against a title challenger is still a good result.

Of course and it’s been one of my pet peeves since coming into this league. Our players will be getting paid well, some of them rather handsomely considering it’s a wage for 2 nights training and a game on a Saturday. And that’s not from a Kelty or QP type bankrolled by a businessman type way it’s from the community backing the club. 1100 season ticket holders now and average crowds have been in the 14/1500s the last 3 seasons. They’ll be on good part time wages. 

Absolutely this.
Lots of comments seem to imply that there’s a certain level of ability and if you’re better than that you’ll be full-time, if you’re not you’ll be a part-time player.

As our time with the hybrid system showed, there are a good few players in Scotland who could be playing full time but (usually because they have a decent job outside of football) choose not to.

Raith benefitted from being the highest placed team who employed part-time players for a while when we signed some players who could definitely have played at a higher level.
Arbroath are definitely benefitting from that just now.
Mikey McKenna is a good example of that- I’m reliably informed we tried to sign him in the summer but he’s much better off playing part-time with Arbroath as he has his own business (a spark I think?).

Anyway, if it’s not to be Raith then I’d like Arbroath to win the title please.

I believe the Arbroath bubble will burst, not because they start performing poorly but I fully expect most teams in the league to vastly improve. I can’t see Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and Ayr not to invest and drastically improve. Once the pressure builds in the promotion and relegation battles most sides will start beating each other and I suspect that will include Arbroath losing many more games.

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I believe the Arbroath bubble will burst, not because they start performing poorly but I fully expect most teams in the league to vastly improve. I can’t see Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and Ayr not to invest and drastically improve. Once the pressure builds in the promotion and relegation battles most sides will start beating each other and I suspect that will include Arbroath losing many more games.

We only have one game left to play against Arbroath. If we did improve it would probably help Arbroath, as we've to play Inverness and Partick twice more and Kilmarnock three times.

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

It always baffles me, this theory everyone will improve, there is only a certain amount of good players to go round and what do you do with the players you already have, if they are not good enough for you, who will want them

I don't suppose any Lichtie supporter and maybe not even anyone at Gayfield would have expected us to be top of the league at this, or really any point in the season. But we are and we are all enjoying the moment.

Yes we may crash and fall away in the second half of the season but as the manager will say, staying in the Championship is the main aim. But human nature being what it is there is bound to be a wee thought at the back of all our minds that maybe, just maybe, we could create a little bit of history by becoming the first part time team to play in the Premiership. If that were somehow to happen we would probably only stay there for one season but again we would enjoy that season and not expect to qualify to play in Europe :-).

But for the time being we will continue playing with or without loanees, under whatever conditions the government decide and look forward to the rest of the season. The only good thing about the crowd limit of 500 home fans was that we were able to move to the other end at half time again.

Edited by SotesBornalichtie
Correct spelling

52 minutes ago, ecto said:

It always baffles me, this theory everyone will improve, there is only a certain amount of good players to go round and what do you do with the players you already have, if they are not good enough for you, who will want them

There are several leagues below us...

7 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

… Championship is the main aim. But human nature being what it is there is bound to be a wee thought at the back of all our minds that maybe, just maybe, we could create a little bit of history by becoming the first part time team to play in the Premiership.

Don’t think that’s true. Unless you strictly mean the current version/name of the top league. Since reconstruction in 1976, I can recall both Dumbarton and Ayr being in the top flight. Not sure if they were fully part time or not though. I also imagine that if we went up we would have to have at least a hybrid system in place.

4 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Don’t think that’s true. Unless you strictly mean the current version/name of the top league. Since reconstruction in 1976, I can recall both Dumbarton and Ayr being in the top flight. Not sure if they were fully part time or not though. I also imagine that if we went up we would have to have at least a hybrid system in place.

Ayr were definitely part-time. I'm sure Clydebank were as well and possibly Morton and Airdrie (1980s team) also.  The 70/80s Killie Premier teams had at least some part-timers, may have been the whole squad. I'm sure Alan Rough was the only full-timer at Firhill before he moved to Hibs.

It was probably the late 80s or early 90s before the top flight was completely full-time.

48 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Ayr were definitely part-time. I'm sure Clydebank were as well and possibly Morton and Airdrie (1980s team) also.  The 70/80s Killie Premier teams had at least some part-timers, may have been the whole squad. I'm sure Alan Rough was the only full-timer at Firhill before he moved to Hibs.

It was probably the late 80s or early 90s before the top flight was completely full-time.

I'm sure when Thistle got promoted in 1976 Alan Rough was the only fulltime player.

Edit. The Hamilton team that knocked Rangers out the cup in the 80's was a mix of full and part time players.

Edited by thisal