Where are you on the political spectrum?

Scott Steiner

I have views that cross different aspects of the political spectrum. On immigration, welfare state, international aid and cooperation and things like abortion rights etc im very much on the left. On taxation Im happy to pay high taxes but id demand the best public services not muddled by over management and bureaucrats, but I also want to see the richest taxed fairly. On law and order i’d like to see a shift to a system similar to Norways with prisons trying to rehabilitate people, but that won’t work until we solve the drug epidemic first. Id much rather just live in a world where people weren’t so fucking horrible. 

Its quite hard to align yourself to parties along the political spectrum in Scotland, on the far left you’re viewed with suspicion and if you dare to question policies or stand points you’re shouted down as whatever kind of ‘ist’ fits. On the centre left theres absolutely no deflection from the narrative of the snp leadership, you can’t question anything, also they really like the aforementioned bureaucracy and working groups and steering groups, they just really like ‘groups’, nothing actually ever gets done, everyone just talks about doing things but they fizzle out because someone takes offence about something else and thats the whole thing fucked. I do also think the media narrative in Scotland is weighed heavily against the centre left however, but they dont do a good enough job fighting against it. 
Centre parties like New Labour/Lib Dems, just full of sneering arseholes. Look at the LD’s so deluded they thought that bunnet Swinson had a chance at being PM when she couldnt even win a seat. They are so out of touch its unreal. Labour went through a spell of essentially just expecting to win seats because labour. (Btw this is happening to the SNP now). They havent had an original thought in decades now. They are also pulled so many directions reliant on national committees, local committees and the big money from the unions etc. 
Centre right, well i mean do we actually have any centre right parties? Maybe Tories under May? Not sure? Brexit kinda fucked that, because the only remotely sensible heads were in the minority drowned out by those on the further right fringes. Suppose its more akin to the American Democrat party and we all know that they wont do anything to rock the boat. 
On the right, the Boris/Cameron tories who would stab their granny for a bit of power, horrible fuckers, rife with corruption, so beholden to the powerbrokers who put them in place that they could never do anything which would take a penny off big business and f**k the public with the consequences, see Nuclear power deals, HS2, Brexit and lack of accountability in financial sectors and media. 
The far right consists of ghoulish awful people who dont deserve a mention. 

If you can look at the spectrum as above and think ‘yep they are my people I belong there’ then fair enough, I just cant. 

A move to a Scandinavian model would be my favoured shift.  

This is where lefties such as myself normally give an earnest and honest appraisal of their own beliefs as if to proffer them for acceptance as normal.

Not me, I'm absolutely on wee Kim Jong's side. Chuck every c*** rich or not who disagrees with me off a big wall imo.

You realise we're both swimming against the Nanny State ScotchNat tide wherein the head of the regional administration declaims herself as "Chief Mammy" and the daft wee tartan gonks go along with it?
.. he posted from his comfy wee house in Buckinghamshire. Hundreds of miles from any influence "Chief Mammy" might have.

I might as well bemoan the effects of Macron's domestic policies.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

.. he posted from his comfy wee house in Buckinghamshire. Hundreds of miles from any influence "Chief Mammy" might have.

I might as well bemoan the effects of Macron's domestic policies.

That  is some going.  Only the 3rd day of the year and I doubt you'll make  a dafter post.

8 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

This is where lefties such as myself normally give an earnest and honest appraisal of their own beliefs as if to proffer them for acceptance as normal.

Not me, I'm absolutely on wee Kim Jong's side. Chuck every c*** rich or not who disagrees with me off a big wall imo.

The sort of attitude I've quoted is common within the left and reaffirms my belief that many of them just see the other side as bad people who's opinions aren't worth listening to.

These are the same types who'll call Tommy Robinson a fascist or Candace Owens a white supremacist, and how dare you argue :D 

If that's how they want to live their lives then there's no point in trying to stop them IMO.  They're a lost cause and their views are unsustainable in the long run.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

That  is some going.  Only the 3rd day of the year and I doubt you'll make  a dafter post.

The highly abusive WhiteNoseKillie has the honour of being the only one on my ignore list at present.  That's no mean feat.

I have views that cross different aspects of the political spectrum. On immigration, welfare state, international aid and cooperation and things like abortion rights etc im very much on the left. On taxation Im happy to pay high taxes but id demand the best public services not muddled by over management and bureaucrats, but I also want to see the richest taxed fairly. On law and order i’d like to see a shift to a system similar to Norways with prisons trying to rehabilitate people, but that won’t work until we solve the drug epidemic first. Id much rather just live in a world where people weren’t so fucking horrible. 

Its quite hard to align yourself to parties along the political spectrum in Scotland, on the far left you’re viewed with suspicion and if you dare to question policies or stand points you’re shouted down as whatever kind of ‘ist’ fits. On the centre left theres absolutely no deflection from the narrative of the snp leadership, you can’t question anything, also they really like the aforementioned bureaucracy and working groups and steering groups, they just really like ‘groups’, nothing actually ever gets done, everyone just talks about doing things but they fizzle out because someone takes offence about something else and thats the whole thing fucked. I do also think the media narrative in Scotland is weighed heavily against the centre left however, but they dont do a good enough job fighting against it. 
Centre parties like New Labour/Lib Dems, just full of sneering arseholes. Look at the LD’s so deluded they thought that bunnet Swinson had a chance at being PM when she couldnt even win a seat. They are so out of touch its unreal. Labour went through a spell of essentially just expecting to win seats because labour. (Btw this is happening to the SNP now). They havent had an original thought in decades now. They are also pulled so many directions reliant on national committees, local committees and the big money from the unions etc. 
Centre right, well i mean do we actually have any centre right parties? Maybe Tories under May? Not sure? Brexit kinda fucked that, because the only remotely sensible heads were in the minority drowned out by those on the further right fringes. Suppose its more akin to the American Democrat party and we all know that they wont do anything to rock the boat. 
On the right, the Boris/Cameron tories who would stab their granny for a bit of power, horrible fuckers, rife with corruption, so beholden to the powerbrokers who put them in place that they could never do anything which would take a penny off big business and f**k the public with the consequences, see Nuclear power deals, HS2, Brexit and lack of accountability in financial sectors and media. 

If you can look at the spectrum as above and think ‘yep they are my people I belong there’ then fair enough, I just cant. 

Party politics is like a bus service as opposed to a taxi

The best you can hope for is to find one that’s heading in the right general direction for you and accept that it’s probably not going to drop you off at the door of your destination

38 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Now now. Let's not mock wee Stormz...Scott's hilarious efforts to strike up an online friendship with a 60 year old bigot from Bucks emoji23.png

The obsession with the Kincmeister continues.

He really does live in your head rent free.

5 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

The highly abusive WhiteNoseKillie has the honour of being the only one on my ignore list at present.  That's no mean feat.

Oi, get me on there monsieur le stauner/Stormzy/fan of dancing in speedos in a confined space.

I've requested this "honour" about 3 times before, but to no avail it seems.

There's a guid chap.  

5 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Oi, get me on there monsieur le stauner/Stormzy/fan of dancing in speedos in a confined space.

There's a guid chap.  

Your username reminds me of Jorg Albertz, so how could I possibly put you on ignore?

11 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

There's a guid chap.  

You should be more abusive in your posts to him

20 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Party politics is like a bus service as opposed to a taxi

The best you can hope for is to find one that’s heading in the right general direction for you and accept that it’s probably not going to drop you off at the door of your destination

And in general the bus driver is a c**t.

Very much like Aberdeen bus drivers.

And taxi drivers are worse.

13 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

Your username reminds me of Jorg Albertz, so how could I possibly put you on ignore?

I want no part of or in your thoughts/dreams/fantasies, oh ye of the command post in the land of smug and drivel.

Get me on ignore. 

Edited by hearthammer

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Interesting post mate.

I don't really see abortion fundamentally as a left or right issue, but sadly over the years it's become that way, however I'm absolutely on the side of the children with that one.

Completely agree about management and bureaucrats.

In terms of law and order, I reckon we're stuck in a bit of a rut and when it all boils down this is due to the party political, vote reliance system we adhere to, where politicians are motivated to try and please everybody.  I believe that on this issue, one of the extremes would be the way to go.  Either we go down the Peter Hitchens route where we stringently enforce existing laws and go hard on prosecuting drug possession and petty crime to make everyone scared to break the law (with a huge chance they'll get caught), or indeed a softly softly approach like you suggest, which would actually work if done correctly.  Neither would be a vote winner though.

I agree about living in a world where people weren't so horrible.  It's never going to happen though, unless we have some sort of UK-wide Western Isles style revival which produced the most high trust community that's ever existed on these islands.  A latter day Duncan Campbell would be most welcome.

Completely agree with what you say about alignment with parties, as well as the Labour/Lib Dem sneerers.  It's a hard one, especially with the usual hysterical types giving you an 'ist'.  There are some interesting case studies on P&B regarding ists and phobias being thrown about willy nilly.  Agree about the working and steering groups too.

You're right about the Tories doing anything for power, which is why it's hard to even truly class them as conservative IMO.  Johnson is basically a liberal and Cameron did more to harm true conservatism than any other Tory PM.  I vote for them because they are the party closest to my beliefs who have a chance, but they are also products of the party political, democratic, FPTP voting system which allows such individuals to flourish.  Is there a better system though?  Probably not.

It's going to take a huge shift in the attitudes of the voters for it to ever change, but as long as they are as tribal as they are (P&B is a superb case study for this) then things will remain like this for a very long time.

Edited by Scott Steiner