WWE PPV Thread

FifeArab

• 4 weeks later...

That was a bit meh really.  For something that's usually considered an A show, it was made to feel a bit like just another B show.  The Wargames matches didn't really light it up either, women's match was fine but didn't feature anything really massive.  The men's one seemed to just be about the elongated Zayn angle.  Worked as a story of course, but never really felt big.  Rest of the matches were solid, but seems like a missed opportunity to really put on a stormer of a show.

One positive coming out, looks increasingly likely that Zayn might be the one to finally take down Roman.  Cody would be fine, but if they can have the Bloodline finally turn on him before or at the Rumble, I'd definitely take a super face Sami going into WM.

That was a bit meh really.  For something that's usually considered an A show, it was made to feel a bit like just another B show.  The Wargames matches didn't really light it up either, women's match was fine but didn't feature anything really massive.  The men's one seemed to just be about the elongated Zayn angle.  Worked as a story of course, but never really felt big.  Rest of the matches were solid, but seems like a missed opportunity to really put on a stormer of a show.
One positive coming out, looks increasingly likely that Zayn might be the one to finally take down Roman.  Cody would be fine, but if they can have the Bloodline finally turn on him before or at the Rumble, I'd definitely take a super face Sami going into WM.

Bloodline turn on him, he comes out “injured” number 30 and eliminates the bloodline and wins the rumble, would be scenes.

Show was pretty average, don’t know why but it felt very NXT to me.

Consensus (by which I mean rumour and supposition) is that Cody is winning the Rumble.

However, with how over the Bloodline and Sami stuff is they could chanhe plans, but bear in mind they have the Elimination Chamber too which must also give us someone who will be given a title match. That Roman has both titles makes things interesting as, unless he loses one of the belts before Mania, he'll have two challengers.

There was a report a while back (dirtsheets, so take it with all the salt) that the plan wasn't for Cody to go after the titles.  I'm not sure what it was based on, or what that meant he would be doing, or who was the alternative, but at this stage it's looking like they're falling into the closest natural successor to the Daniel Bryan storyline that they've ever had.  The pop for Cody returning would be huge.  The pop for most people finally beating Reigns would be huge if they write it well.  But I don't think it really needs to be Cody to do it.  He'll get a massive pop wherever he's placed, maybe even coming back at the Rumble for a fake-out and eliminated by someone to feud with.  f**k it, give him Lesnar or something and actually have the mad b*****d lose.  The story with Sami is just too good to pass up.

Seen someone suggest KO wins the rumble and Sami wins the elimination chamber then they main event night one of mania. The rock comes out number 30 in the rumble and eliminates Reigns but doesn’t win the rumble therefore setting up Rock v Reigns night two.

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

Seen someone suggest KO wins the rumble and Sami wins the elimination chamber then they main event night one of mania. The rock comes out number 30 in the rumble and eliminates Reigns but doesn’t win the rumble therefore setting up Rock v Reigns night two.

I think the problem with that is that the winners of the Rumble and Chamber are guaranteed a title shot. We've seen plenty of winners take said title shot in a spot that isn't the main event.

Also you don't need to win the Rumble and Chamber to main event night one. Plus, them two aginst each other isn't a main event for Mania given the Sami storyline. Folk won't like a quick resolution to his storyline with The Bloodline and it being forgotten.

Aye, if they're getting Rock in, whatever Sami story is in the works won't happen, or at least not in the way it should.  If they get big Dwayne, I assume whoever wins the Rumble is in some other story completely separate from Roman.  Rock winning it is a missed opportunity to give someone else the rub, and also means you have to have him for far, far longer.  He can return without wrestling the day after the Rumble and start things off, appear sporadically, and only have to do one night of proper work and put Reigns over.   Then you can probably build Sami up for Summerslam or something, if that's what they want to do with him.  

But to be honest, I just can't see it happening.  Seems a massive risk to every party involved.  Does Rock get injured again and ruin whatever filming schedule he has?  Does it turn out that after all that time away he's missed several steps?  Does Reigns struggle to carry him?  In the seemingly never-ending title reign, does Rock putting Reigns over really live up to what it feels like on paper?  The only guaranteed positive is likely that Rock would get a big payday, but he can get that by appearing in some shite movie without putting his body on the line.

But having said all that, I'm not sure they really need him.  Previously it was the clear choice to make a big match, but they've quietly built Sami up that if they want to tell that story and pull that trigger, I would absolutely rather see Sami lift the titles at WM than Rock do anything.  Maybe even involve Rock in some way that isn't a match during it, get the best of both worlds.  

I'd have Rock go over tbh.

There's not much sense in the match in the first place other than it being a dream match. 

But losing to Rock probably wouldn't hurt Reigns from being the mega star too much in much the same way it didn't hurt Cena.

Unless you’re getting a rematch, I don’t see any sense in Rock winning. Having a part timer come in and beat the guy nobody on your actual roster can before riding off into the sunset again wouldn’t go down well imo.

8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Unless you’re getting a rematch, I don’t see any sense in Rock winning. Having a part timer come in and beat the guy nobody on your actual roster can before riding off into the sunset again wouldn’t go down well imo.

Sense isn't always a major factor in wrestling.

Who will it not go down well with? Casual fans would love it.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Sense isn't always a major factor in wrestling.

Who will it not go down well with? Casual fans would love it.

It is Thd Rock, I could be wrong, but I do think there’d be a bit of resentment towards him across the board if he just turned up and beat Roman. People love The Bloodline.

21 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

It is Thd Rock, I could be wrong, but I do think there’d be a bit of resentment towards him across the board if he just turned up and beat Roman. People love The Bloodline.

You could be right, but I'd be surprised. Very much seems like The Rock is the most beloved man in the world at times particularly in the US.

NXT Deadline ended up being a good wee watch.  Not like they're bothering the heights they used to reach, but the new blood are putting on a decent show.  Their Iron Survivor Challenge concept mostly worked too.  Felt like they could have done with a longer time limit to let things breathe, but they managed to make the two matches feel distinct from each other.

And New Day got another title.  Seems a bit of a knock on Pretty Deadly to put over a team that really didn't need it, but it's a nice nod to give New Day the belts given they've probably not got much scope on the main roster at this stage.  The more inexperienced teams will no doubt benefit.  And that four-way Eddie Guerrerro cheating spot was really enjoyable.

23 hours ago, forameus said:

NXT Deadline ended up being a good wee watch.  Not like they're bothering the heights they used to reach, but the new blood are putting on a decent show.  Their Iron Survivor Challenge concept mostly worked too.  Felt like they could have done with a longer time limit to let things breathe, but they managed to make the two matches feel distinct from each other.

And New Day got another title.  Seems a bit of a knock on Pretty Deadly to put over a team that really didn't need it, but it's a nice nod to give New Day the belts given they've probably not got much scope on the main roster at this stage.  The more inexperienced teams will no doubt benefit.  And that four-way Eddie Guerrerro cheating spot was really enjoyable.

I've not seen this show, but it sounds like the Survivor Challenge is a far better gimmick match than the terminally dull War Games.

It's not too dissimilar to it really.  It's like an amalgam of Wargames, Survivor Series and Iron Man matches.  WG can usually end up relying on the fact there's no disqualifications to get around a lot of decent booking.  If the match isn't going well, just have each person look under the ring as they go in and pick up a weapon for that guaranteed pop.  But outside of the first few in NXT they've been a bit meh, particularly the main roster one we just had.

I think it still suffers a bit from the staggered entry, although at least with this match the time before everyone's in does actually count towards the score.  And disqualifications being a thing means that you're going to get better matches overall, rather than just relying on convoluted weapons spots.  Add in 10 more minutes or so to let things breathe and have it be for more than just a number one contender spot, and you'd have a really great concept.