Foreigners Ruling

John Burridge

On watching the Walter Smith documentary on BBC last night, it mentioned the foreigners rule changing around the time of Graeme Souness leaving Rangers.

When was the foreigners ruling introduced and was this change from 4 to 3+2 naturalised? 

This article 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-foreigner-rule-illegal-1526747.html

Also suggests it was imposed in domestic tournaments in English football as well. 

5 hours ago, John Burridge said:

On watching the Walter Smith documentary on BBC last night, it mentioned the foreigners rule changing around the time of Graeme Souness leaving Rangers.

When was the foreigners ruling introduced and was this change from 4 to 3+2 naturalised? 

This article 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-foreigner-rule-illegal-1526747.html

Also suggests it was imposed in domestic tournaments in English football as well.

According to my Sunday Times Illustrated History of Football: it was 1988-89 that UEFA limited clubs to 4 foreign players - treating each Home Nation as seperate. It only applied to new signings.

Then from 1991-92 it says "UEFA under pressure from the EEC agreed to allow clubs to field 5 foreign players in league matches" which is presumably your 3/2 until Bosman in 1996.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I don't recall it being in use domestically anywhere in the UK. Although it certainly was in Serie A.

The big thing always seemed to be the struggle between readjusting League XI to European XI which is why Man Utd were so poor mid 90s

Eg Man Utd starting XI v Norwich August 1992 was

Schmeichel Den

Irwin Ire

Parker

Bruce

Pallister 

Sharpe

Ince 

Kanchelskis Rus

Giggs Wal

Cantona Fra

McClair Sco

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 31/12/2021 at 21:18, invergowrie arab said:

I don't recall it being in use domestically anywhere in the UK. Although it certainly was in Serie A.

The big thing always seemed to be the struggle between readjusting League XI to European XI which is why Man Utd were so poor mid 90s

Schmeichel Den

Irwin Ire

Parker

Bruce

Pallister 

Sharpe

Ince 

Kanchelskis Rus

Giggs Wal

Cantona Fra

McClair Sco

Bring it back tomorrow for me

Stop clubs signing endless foreign dross rather than developing own players 

On 02/01/2022 at 14:20, Binos said:

Bring it back tomorrow for me

Stop clubs signing endless foreign dross rather than developing own players 

I'd definitely be in favour of introducing a minimum number of home grown players. Really disappointing in recent seasons seeing some struggling Premiership teams with barely a Scot in their lineups.

20 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I'd definitely be in favour of introducing a minimum number of home grown players. Really disappointing in recent seasons seeing some struggling Premiership teams with barely a Scot in their lineups.

Likewise, not as if most of the foreigners that come and play here are much good anyway. 4 Scots in the starting lineup, for example, really shouldn't be too much to ask.

Edited by afca32

On 31/12/2021 at 21:18, invergowrie arab said:

Schmeichel Den

Irwin Ire

Parker

Bruce

Pallister 

Sharpe

Ince 

Kanchelskis Rus

Giggs Wal

Cantona Fra

McClair Sco

There was an away game at Barcelona where Cantona and Schmeichel had to pull out I'm sure because the UEFA rule was different to the Premier League rule at the time.  Not sure why they'd drop those two but I'm certain it was the two of them.

On 10/01/2022 at 21:19, Highland Capital said:

There was an away game at Barcelona where Cantona and Schmeichel had to pull out I'm sure because the UEFA rule was different to the Premier League rule at the time.  Not sure why they'd drop those two but I'm certain it was the two of them.

Cantona was suspended for that game.  Ferguson wanted to use his three foreigners as outfield players - he went with Kanchelskis, Keane and Irwin and played Gary Walsh in goal, there's a Guardian article about it.  Barca's three were Koeman, Romario and Stoichkov.  Barca won that game 4-0, it was an absolute pasting.  It really took a few years for English football to get up to competitiveness in Europe after the ban ended.

My memory is that Rangers used to struggle with it a bit at that time, with guys like Gary Bollan, Alec Cleland and Neil Murray getting regular runouts against Juventus.

On 12/01/2022 at 16:51, ICTChris said:

My memory is that Rangers used to struggle with it a bit at that time, with guys like Gary Bollan, Alec Cleland and Neil Murray getting regular runouts against Juventus.

Super Scott Nisbet though...

On 12/01/2022 at 16:51, ICTChris said:

Cantona was suspended for that game.  Ferguson wanted to use his three foreigners as outfield players - he went with Kanchelskis, Keane and Irwin and played Gary Walsh in goal, there's a Guardian article about it.  Barca's three were Koeman, Romario and Stoichkov.  Barca won that game 4-0, it was an absolute pasting.  It really took a few years for English football to get up to competitiveness in Europe after the ban ended.

Alec Cleland needing to buy a ticket to get back in after being skinned by Del Piero, before being sent off shortly after for attempting to main him in revenge is one of the great "out of their depth" Scotsmen in Europe stories

• 2 weeks later...