Board games

2 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

Ticket to ride is a truly great game, but i find it's better with more than two players.

Mr Jack isn't a dark game at all.  I play it with the kids.

A good intro to co-operative games are Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert (they are also quite cheap at about £20 a piece).  They can both be played by 2 players.

Personally i love King of Tokyo or King of New York, however they again are better with more players.

Last night we played an expanded version of Cluedo, the tweeks they've made with the 'chance' deck and charcter abilities have really improved it.

Yours

aDONis 

Excellent advice aDONis, thanks very much mate.

Watched a review of Mr Jack on YouTube and it looks really good.

The wife and I will go over all these options in the next few days.

22 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:

Non toy - RISK ?

Any secret RISKers followers in Scotland

Can one play it online these days ?

Another war game is "Diplomacy".  As well as a board game, it can also be played online.

Another game I enjoyed was "Moviemaker".

Two player board games are a bit tricky, while most of them work as two players they work best with three or four (like King of Tokyo).

Ticket to Ride is a good shout. Carcassone is extremely popular and works well with two, once you get the hang of it it's very simple to lift out the box and get started straight away. Isle of Skye is similar but a bit more complicated. Pandemic is a bit different cos you work together to try and win, probably a bit better with more people. 

Recent Christmas additions included Dragonwood, which took a bit of explaining the first time but is much more straightforward once you've played it a couple of time.

Games that don't require a board like Yatzee or OK Play are good too, especially for getting started straight away. 

I have a bunch more I've been acquiring pretty much since March 2020 if this turns into a general discussion and recommendations thread.