Dumbarton v Airdrie 2nd Jan

7 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Comical, sir

Were you there? There a pretty strong chance it looked different on the stream but at the time the first thing I said was that he made no attempt to play the ball and instead played the man.

He then proceeded to kick the ball into the net a few seconds after the whistle clearly went. So a booking for kicking the ball away would also be understandable - although there would have been a fair few other bookings if the ref was being consistent with that.

Edited by squeezebox-son

4 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Were you there? There a pretty strong chance it looked different on the stream but at the time the first thing I said was that he made no attempt to play the ball and instead played the man.

He then proceeded to kick the ball into the net a few seconds after the whistle clearly went. So a booking for kicking the ball away would also be understandable - although there would have been a fair few other bookings if the ref was being consistent with that.

Watch the highlights tomorrow and I'm positive you will change your mind but after the decision is made you could be correct that he deserved the booking for kicking the ball away. Soft nonetheless!

5 minutes ago, diamondman said:

Were you there? 

And I would have attended in what way, legitimally? 

That's my point. It likely looked completely different on the live stream to what it did at the game 😂 imagine giving an opinion on a point being discussed on the match thread... 

I was there (as were a few other Airdrie fans who were mostly well behaved) and I didn’t think Jordan Allan did much wrong. Dumbarton should have had a penalty at the end but that’s more than evened out by the disallowed goal in the first half, nevermind the Jordan Allan incident. 

It was a pretty poor game overall, the pitch didn’t help but neither side really got going at all. Dumbarton were very stuffy, playing a fairly narrow midfield three to presumably try and stop our diamond with Stokes (who was exactly like the player we had last year, I kept forgetting he was playing) in behind the two forwards. Dumbarton didn’t seem to have much intent to get forward, a few teams they won the ball and looked to counter but other than the two forwards no one was getting up the park. Defensively they were fairly solid, Edin Lynch was excellent and probably Dumbarton’s best player. He’s certainly a lot better than Buchanan in there going by that performance. They really missed McGeever’s massive head at corners too. 

Airdrie weren’t as good as the last few games but ultimately we done enough to get the win and I think undoubtedly deserved it. I remember a pretty poor 0-0 in bad conditions at Dumbarton a couple of years ago so it was good to see the team grind out a win today. McCabe strolled it and was very unlucky not to score from one of his many excellent free-kicks. Quite a few of our players weren’t at their best in terms of quality but I can’t fault the commitment and work-rate. 

This isn’t Dumbarton’s fault but having half of the stand completely empty today shows how daft the 500 rule is. Having 100-200 Airdrie fans in the away end is hardly going to make things crowded or cause much more of a risk than having 500 in the one side.

Yes attended the game takes more than Nicola Sturgeon to keep a few diehards away from the game.....

Let's look at the facts Airdrie were the only only team willing or trying to play football out there,   the Airdrie centre backs were calm and controlled throughout rarely troubled, Dumbartons pass to Paton then punt tactic was pretty basic.  Also Dumbartons immature man or ball type tackling does you no favours. 

Good 3 points and could have been more with the free kick off the inside of the  post as well as the other incidents already stated....

Was it a penalty though, from where I was sitting Currie had every right to go for the ball......

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Yes attended the game takes more than Nicola Sturgeon to keep a few diehards away from the game.....

Let's look at the facts Airdrie were the only only team willing or trying to play football out there,   the Airdrie centre backs were calm and controlled throughout rarely troubled, Dumbartons pass to Paton then punt tactic was pretty basic.  Also Dumbartons immature man or ball type tackling does you no favours

Good 3 points and could have been more with the free kick off the inside of the  post as well as the other incidents already stated....

Was it a penalty though, from where I was sitting Currie had every right to go for the ball......

We were hardly battering your players and your guys left a few on some of ours. Nothing you don't expect to see.

Nobody is saying he didn't have a right to go for it... but it looked clumsy and you can't batter a player out of the way to get to the ball. I'd need to see it again but, as I say, it looked a bit clumsy to me.

I didnt think it was a pen at the end. Would like to see it again but looked OK to be, clattered the man but after he took the ball cleanly. That being said, we got away with a huge one in 1st half when our keeper flapped and got away with murder.

A pretty dreadful game today I thought. Neither team played to their potential but an Airdrie win will do me nicely. 

I really don’t think Dumbarton play that poorly, they were stuffy and hard to beat today and that tight pitch is a nightmare for us. Airdrie need a big wide park to build up their play and that proved today. 

Both sides missing a few today also. we could have done with Frizzel and one of the McGills. Desperately needing to sign a left back. Scotty Walker put in a shift but it was clear that he wasn’t comfortable on his left.

I do like the Dumbarton right back. Been impressed with him every time we play, what’s his name? 

Airdrie deserved to win although McCabe's free kick would have made it a nice 2 - 0. But the main reason for this post is to thank the Sons' co-commentators on the live stream. Great general knowledge about the away team and its players, and a surreal session on Wigan Athletic; still don't know what that was about but it added to the entertainment. 

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I know they probably get a lot of decent comments (or should!) But the commentary team on sons TV were excellent today. It's far easier listening to games at our level when the people commentating actually have half an idea of what they're talking about.

24 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Airdrie deserved to win although McCabe's free kick would have made it a nice 2 - 0. But the main reason for this post is to thank the Sons' co-commentators on the live stream. Great general knowledge about the away team and its players, and a surreal session on Wigan Athletic; still don't know what that was about but it added to the entertainment. 

Cheers guys - that means a lot. It's far from ideal that away fans are stuck at home, so hopefully the Diamonds tuning in didn't mind our chat. 

I actually had to think about how we ended up talking about Wigan. But then it came back to me. McCabe as a CB wearing seven, linked to Khalid Boulahrouz wearing nine at Chelsea. So I mentioned Chelsea's number nine curse, then Franko Di Santo. And before I knew it we were rambling about Hendry Thomas, Emerson Boyce and all the lads. Was hopefully more entertaining than that stage of the game.

Anyway. The game. I couldn't fault our back four. They didn't take risks and were very no-nonsense, but it almost paid off. I had the fear Airdrie would cut them open, but it didn't really materialise. Paddy Boyle looked pretty decent at CB, Sam Muir had a good enough game and Andy Geggan was by and large solid enough. I thought Edin Lynch was excellent and (by some margin) our man of the match though.

If we had defended as we did today for the last 10 games we'd be in a far better position. It felt like concentration levels were extremely high. For the first time in a long while the defence outperformed the attack.

Aside from that though we created a few chances, albeit none that could go into the golden category. Ross MacLean maybe could've scored after bursting in on goal, and Sam Muir possibly should've done better with the header he had cleared off the line. Albeit it was a difficult chance. 

Airdrie probably merited the win overall though. Once they took the lead, and aside from some kamikaze Max Currie moments, they managed the game well. McCabe's free kick that hit the woodwork was an absolute beauty and we got extremely fortunate with the chalked off goal on the stroke of half-time.

After the blood and thunder of the previous games today was a bit of a non-event. Good three points for Airdrie though, in a match where - with the pitch cutting up and the goal chalked off - they could've felt sorry for themselves.

For us? Faz has a big January ahead. The East Fife game in a fortnight already looks enormous for both clubs.

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I actually had to think about how we ended up talking about Wigan. But then it came back to me. McCabe as a CB wearing seven, linked to Khalid Boulahrouz wearing nine at Chelsea. So I mentioned Chelsea's number nine curse, then Franko Di Santo. And before I knew it we were rambling about Hendry Thomas, Emerson Boyce and all the lads. Was hopefully more entertaining than that stage of the game.

I’m actually a bit disappointed I went now and missed this!

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I’m actually a bit disappointed I went now and missed this!

:lol: If you're at a loose end and Airdrie aren't playing then buy yourself a Sons stream. You don't have to watch the game, you can just enjoy us going off at tangents about obscure players from a decade ago.

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I do like the Dumbarton right back. Been impressed with him every time we play, what’s his name? 

A bit confused as Andy Geggan played RB today and most fans at this level would know who he is.

He didn't have a bad match but got sent off in the last match and I'm not sure if he played RB in that game. He has produced a mixed bag by all accounts. Getting on in his career a bit and not quite the player he was in his first stint with us.

Took in this game as a neutral as our game against Q Pee was off.  I usually enjoy games as a neutral, but today was an exception.  This was dire and woeful stuff, from both sides, and from the officials.  The referee had me wondering if he was still under the influence from New Year.  

Anyway, I expected more of Airdrie given their recent results, but can't help but feel that they stole the points today. I do like Dylan Easton as a player (except against us) but felt that he was caught in possession a few times.  Max Currie badly needs to learn when to come off his line.  As a neutral, it was difficult without knowing which team was near the top and which was near the bottom.  The result suits me as we too will be putting in a serious bid.  But all in all, 90 minutes of my life that I won't get back. 

3 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

Took in this game as a neutral as our game against Q Pee was off.  I usually enjoy games as a neutral, but today was an exception.  This was dire and woeful stuff, from both sides, and from the officials.  The referee had me wondering if he was still under the influence from New Year.  

Anyway, I expected more of Airdrie given their recent results, but can't help but feel that they stole the points today. I do like Dylan Easton as a player (except against us) but felt that he was caught in possession a few times.  Max Currie badly needs to learn when to come off his line.  As a neutral, it was difficult without knowing which team was near the top and which was near the bottom.  The result suits me as we too will be putting in a serious bid.  But all in all, 90 minutes of my life that I won't get back. 

I’d struggle to muster up the effort to attend a Sons game as a loyal fan, especially with the current restrictions and whatnot nevermind attending as a neutral. You deserve everything you get I’m afraid, find a new hobby.