The Famous Aberdeen v the Glesga Sevco

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Even Kris Boyd thinks it’s a penalty. Against Rangers.

The prosecution rests. Honest mistake though. Referees now absolutely terrified to give a decision against either of them from here to the end of the season in case it affects the title race. 

Some people seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that taking a swipe at a ball and missing it automatically constitutes a foul. Obviously it doesn't otherwise someone trying to kick it and falling over in the middle of the park with nobody near them would also be a foul.

The reason these things are often fouls is because you're not allowed to kick or trip an opponent (accidentally or otherwise), but that's not what happened here, the contact between the players is a brushing together of legs of two players going in opposite directions. McGregor doesn't charge into him, doesn't kick him or anything else.

I guess this made up narrative that every piece of contact is a foul has crept into the psyche more than I thought.

The foul debate will go on (that Replay at half time actually does show it probably is, the one that shows the hit on Hedges calf, VAR would give that), but if I'm an Aberdeen fan I'd also be asking why Hedges didn't just get it on target and score.

Decent enough watch, not much between the teams.

For Aberdeen, young Ramsay is still getting better which is good from a Scotland perspective long term. Brown is still box office, especially against the blue cheek. Seem a bit short up top, Ramirez hasn't been in it at all.

Rangers continuing as they have under Van Bronckhorst, efficient and not much more. Seems to have been a marked shift towards no messing defending, seem much happier just to belt it away. Sands has looked tidy enough, but nothing spectacular

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Some people seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that taking a swipe at a ball and missing it automatically constitutes a foul. Obviously it doesn't otherwise someone trying to kick it and falling over in the middle of the park with nobody near them would also be a foul.

The reason these things are often fouls is because you're not allowed to kick or trip an opponent (accidentally or otherwise), but that's not what happened here, the contact between the players is a brushing together of legs of two players going in opposite directions. McGregor doesn't charge into him, doesn't kick him or anything else.

I guess this made up narrative that every piece of contact is a foul has crept into the psyche more than I thought.

The arrogance in this post in the face of such a poorly formed opinion is, frankly, impressive. Kudos. 

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Even Kris Boyd thinks it’s a penalty. Against Rangers.

He was trying his hardest not to say it was a foul and a penalty :lol: 

Edited by RiG

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Law 12.  Impedes an opponent with contact.