The Famous Aberdeen v the Glesga Sevco

The worst thing about that Sky story is that it's Rangers being allowed to control the narrative. We are 3 days out from the game and instead of talking about the fact Aberdeen were robbed of a stonewall penalty and Rangers should probably have been down to 10 men, we are now talking about a sending off with 8 minutes to go that had no real impact on the result of the game and the fact that Brown got away with a couple of niggly fouls. It's fucking incredible that the media do not call them out on this utter bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

They’ve complained about the ball moving on the spot as Ferguson hit it. Absolutely pitiful.

I think it’s probably more that it’s a really obvious example of Clancy not being good enough?

There’s subjectivity and a bit of leeway given to the pace of the game in ‘should Bates have been given a yellow in the build up to the Rangers goal?’, ‘was he a bit too keen to keep cards in his pocket in the first half?’, ‘should McGregor have been sent off?’ or ‘was the foul in the box?’ for both teams in terms of decision.

The ball moving on the spot is a yes/no thing that him and his team should be able to pick up on from 10 yards.

13 minutes ago, Orbix said:

I think it’s probably more that it’s a really obvious example of Clancy not being good enough?

There’s subjectivity and a bit of leeway given to the pace of the game in ‘should Bates have been given a yellow in the build up to the Rangers goal?’, ‘was he a bit too keen to keep cards in his pocket in the first half?’, ‘should McGregor have been sent off?’ or ‘was the foul in the box?’ for both teams in terms of decision.

The ball moving on the spot is a yes/no thing that him and his team should be able to pick up on from 10 yards.

Really? Surely the linesman is looking at the goalkeeper’s position as the ball is struck and the referee is more concerned with players encroaching on the edge of the box. The ball moving as it is struck is a vanishingly rare occurrence and it’s the last thing I’d be expecting the ref to be looking directly at as the penalty is taken. And in any event, it surely is more detrimental to the taker than the goalkeeper. Once the ball is on the spot and the player has stepped back I highly doubt any of the officials are paying much attention to it - there’s far more likely issues elsewhere for them to pay attention to.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

Its nothing more than piling pressure on officials before the Old Firm game, surely that's obvious to everyone?

I'd be surprised if Celtic don't start pumping out stories too to do the same in the next week.

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

What a fucking minter of a club.

Tremendous. 

The Dutch boy is like a breath of old air. 

I actually doubt that Van Bronckhorst has anything to do with this. This has all the hallmarks of the 1690 mob in the boardroom.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its nothing more than piling pressure on officials before the Old Firm game, surely that's obvious to everyone?

I'd be surprised if Celtic don't start pumping out stories too to do the same in the next week.

Aye, that'll be exactly it, to be fair.

And Celtic have already started, with the article that was published on Monday about the number of penalties received that was shared by their usual social media cheerleaders.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, that'll be exactly it, to be fair.

And Celtic have already started, with the article that was published on Monday about the number of penalties received that was shared by their usual social media cheerleaders.

It’s bit like some guys on Sportsound the other night, can’t remember who, saying that the upcoming match between Celtic and Rangers should be postponed until the two clubs have their strongest teams available. Scottish football deserves that, was their narrative.

17 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Really? Surely the linesman is looking at the goalkeeper’s position as the ball is struck and the referee is more concerned with players encroaching on the edge of the box. The ball moving as it is struck is a vanishingly rare occurrence and it’s the last thing I’d be expecting the ref to be looking directly at as the penalty is taken. And in any event, it surely is more detrimental to the taker than the goalkeeper. Once the ball is on the spot and the player has stepped back I highly doubt any of the officials are paying much attention to it - there’s far more likely issues elsewhere for them to pay attention to.

Like I said, it's a concrete example of an objective fault with no pressure on him as part of a wider complaint about how shit he was in the other 94 minutes - something I think both sets of fans have agreed on?

3 minutes ago, Orbix said:

Like I said, it's a concrete example of an objective fault with no pressure on him as part of a wider complaint about how shit he was in the other 94 minutes - something I think both sets of fans have agreed on?

I assume Rangers' letter raised the McGregor incident and Morelos' dives as part of this noble crusade for objective fairness? 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I assume Rangers' letter raised the McGregor incident and Morelos' dives as part of this noble crusade for objective fairness? 

I'm sure Aberdeen are able to complain in equal measure? For what it's worth, I think McGregor should have got a red card and a penalty (Though could understand why it might have been given as a freekick in real time given it was right on/over the line) 

Think the second penalty if reviewed doesn't get given for Ferguson's foul on Barisic before he heads the ball at Morelos. 

Been fairly consistent in saying that the refs are shite and we need VAR to help them, as in both of those.

Don't remember any dives tbh, there was lots of theatrical embellishment from both sides but nothing other than Kent's penalty appeal?