The Famous Aberdeen v the Glesga Sevco

46 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

As far as watching Rangers v Celtic games. I don’t watch them at Parkhead and only occasionally go to these games at Ibrox. I usually give my mates daughter my Old Firm tickets. It has improved greatly since we cut the allocation but would much prefer no Celtic fans at games

As called out earlier you watched the St Mirren 0-0 Celtic game from just before Christmas. 

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

He doesn’t need to beat Hedges to the ball for it to be a genuine attempt to play the ball. He could’ve anticipated Hedges was getting there before him and was attempting to block any touch towards goal. That is backed up by the fact that McGregors hands go up towards the ball after Hedges touched it.

So a genuine attempt to play the ball could be seconds late and reckless in the middle of the park and not be a red card. Which we see every other week. 

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So a genuine attempt to play the ball could be seconds late and reckless in the middle of the park and not be a red card. Which we see every other week. 

The middle of the park is a completely different story compared to in the box, there are different laws surrounding it.

There was literally milliseconds between Hedges touching the ball and then McGregor making contact with him. I’m of the opinion he was genuinely attempting to play the ball, as he made no deliberate attempt to impede Hedges so why else would he be out there. Others may disagree, it’s not exactly objective at the end of the day.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

The middle of the park is a completely different story compared to in the box, there are different laws surrounding it.

There was literally milliseconds between Hedges touching the ball and then McGregor making contact with him. I’m of the opinion he was genuinely attempting to play the ball, as he made no deliberate attempt to impede Hedges so why else would he be out there. Others may disagree, it’s not exactly objective at the end of the day.

Yes it's not objective. Hedges got sent off at Pittodrie a couple of years ago for accidentally brushing across the back of a Rangers player in the box, and while I hate whataboutery, those two decisions cannot be compatible with fairness if you want to implement the rules. 

5 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Yes it's not objective. Hedges got sent off at Pittodrie a couple of years ago for accidentally brushing across the back of a Rangers player in the box, and while I hate whataboutery, those two decisions cannot be compatible with fairness if you want to implement the rules. 

Indeed. And I remember that decision at the time, it was explained that had Hedges actually tried to play the ball then he would’ve only got a yellow. It is quite a bit of guesswork to decide whether or not a player has made a genuine attempt to play the ball.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Indeed. And I remember that decision at the time, it was explained that had Hedges actually tried to play the ball then he would’ve only got a yellow. It is quite a bit of guesswork to decide whether or not a player has made a genuine attempt to play the ball.

So your guesswork that McGregor tries to play the ball is nonsense. It's a bullshit rule in the case of hedges one. But as I say, if you try and make a genuine attempt to play the ball and miss it by a distance and it's late, it's usually a red.  

One of my kids will be getting a hiding for tampering with the tivo. Sportscene highlights only. 

Looked ok. Probably not for neutrals or fans of aesthetic football but i'd have liked to see it. 

Unbelievable call for McGregor to get away with wiping out hedges. Unbelievably shite defending straight after. Looks like we still need to sort out the defence. Maybe introduce them to each other and allocate positions would be a start. 

That's a particularly dislikeable rangers team, even by their horrible c**t standards. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

One of my kids will be getting a hiding for tampering with the tivo. Sportscene highlights only. 

Looked ok. Probably not for neutrals or fans of aesthetic football but i'd have liked to see it. 

Unbelievable call for McGregor to get away with wiping out hedges. Unbelievably shite defending straight after. Looks like we still need to sort out the defence. Maybe introduce them to each other and allocate positions would be a start. 

That's a particularly dislikeable rangers team, even by their horrible c**t standards. 

I think it's harsh to blame the defence. The whole team reacted poorly to the nonsensical decision. Would need to see it again but we were pulled all over the place because a few didn't play to the whistle.

7 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

So your guesswork that McGregor tries to play the ball is nonsense. It's a bullshit rule in the case of hedges one. But as I say, if you try and make a genuine attempt to play the ball and miss it by a distance and it's late, it's usually a red.  

Why is it nonsense? Nobody can say for certain if he was making a genuine attempt to play the ball, you just need to base it on the situation. The situation being a keeper rushing out to the edge of his box heading straight to where the ball was going and not deliberately catching Hedges, for me, suggests he was trying to play the ball.

Late tackles are different in the sense that it would only be a red card if it is considered serious foul play. That was definitely not serious foul play.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think it's harsh to blame the defence. The whole team reacted poorly to the nonsensical decision. Would need to see it again but we were pulled all over the place because a few didn't play to the whistle.

It's tough love. Coping with baffling refereeing is an important part of the game, especially against the cheeks. I'm sure they'll get it. 

Also i'm probably experiencing selection bias because all the times they calmly mopped up crosses and long balls didn't get on the highlights. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It's tough love. Coping with baffling refereeing is an important part of the game, especially against the cheeks. I'm sure they'll get it. 

Also i'm probably experiencing selection bias because all the times they calmly mopped up crosses and long balls didn't get on the highlights. 

I wasn't happy when he was signed but Bates was brilliant tonight. Actually looking like a defender, rather than someone who can pick a pass and that's it.

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

Why is it nonsense? Nobody can say for certain if he was making a genuine attempt to play the ball, you just need to base it on the situation. The situation being a keeper rushing out to the edge of his box heading straight to where the ball was going and not deliberately catching Hedges, for me, suggests he was trying to play the ball.

Late tackles are different in the sense that it would only be a red card if it is considered serious foul play. That was definitely not serious foul play.

Why was it not serious foul play. He was late, out of control and took the player out. Just because he is a keeper doesn't change those facts, or where it happened on the pitch. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow