The Famous Aberdeen v the Glesga Sevco

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

"But we Aberdeen fans are sick and tired of the press unnecessarily using the tackle on Durrant as an avenue to emphasise and stoke a rivalry between the clubs"

Also Aberdeen fans ^^^

Can't wait to pull you up on this after the game tonight. Specifically regarding the anti-catholic bile we'll hear from your end.

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

"But we Aberdeen fans are sick and tired of the press unnecessarily using the tackle on Durrant as an avenue to emphasise and stoke a rivalry between the clubs"

Also Aberdeen fans ^^^

Agreed. It’s about time Willie Johnston standing on John McMasters throat got more of an airing. 

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Can't wait to pull you up on this after the game tonight. Specifically regarding the anti-catholic bile we'll hear from your end.

I have no idea how that correlates to the point I made?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm sure you don't.

Well, yeah, because it seems like you've missed the point entirely.

We had Aberdeen fans in another thread bemoaning a news article published this week referring to the tackle, calling it unnecessary. Then you have Aberdeen fans in this thread glorifying it. Surely you can see the irony there?

How that can be related to any anti-catholic bile, you'll need to explain that one for me.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

We had Aberdeen fans in another thread bemoaning a news article published this week referring to the tackle, calling it unnecessary. Then you have Aberdeen fans in this thread glorifying it. Surely you can see the irony there?

How that can be related to any anti-catholic bile, you'll need to explain that one for me.

You have Rangers fans saying it's a very small minority that embarasses the club.

Then you have thousands singing about being up to their knees in ****** blood every weekend.

Surely you can see the irony there.

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You have Rangers fans saying it's a very small minority that embarasses the club.

Then you have thousands singing about being up to their knees in ****** blood every weekend.

Surely you can see the irony there.

Again, I don't see how that correlates to the point I made?

I'm not criticising anyone for embarrassing the club and I'm not criticising Aberdeen fans for referencing it, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of them criticising a newspaper for running a story about it, branding it unnecessary but then referencing it themselves.

Unless, of course, you disagree with the other poster and don't think the article was unnecessary and believe it should be encouraged, then I'd maybe understand your point more.

Edited by AJF

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, I don't see how that correlates to the point I made?

I'm not criticising anyone for embarrassing the club and I'm not criticising Aberdeen fans for referencing it, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of them criticising a newspaper for running a story about it, branding it unnecessary but then referencing it themselves.

Unless, of course, you disagree with the other poster and don't think the article was unnecessary and believe it should be encouraged, then I'd maybe understand your point more.

You've tied yourself in a knot here.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You've tied yourself in a knot here.

Saying it doesn't make it true, I'm afraid. It's obvious what my point is. You said you'll "pull me up" on it, as if I have done similar here, which I haven't.

I look forward to hearing you "pull me up" for whatever it is you plan on pulling me up for.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Saying it doesn't make it true, I'm afraid. It's obvious what my point is. You said you'll "pull me up" on it, as if I have done similar here, which I haven't.

I look forward to hearing you "pull me up" for whatever it is you plan on pulling me up for.

Does one Aberdeen fan speak for all Aberdeen fans?

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

I was complaining but I wasn't complaining about the tackle being mentioned. I was complaining because we only ever hear one side of the story about the rivalry* and taking the opportunity to make a gratuitous comparison with the Third Reich. 

Interestingly (or not) one potential narrative which is never mentioned in the Scottish press is directly related to anti catholic bile. Alex Ferguson particularly wanted to beat Rangers because he thought they treated him badly for having a catholic wife. That would have rubbed off on the team and potentially influenced the crowd. 

*it's not been a sporting rivalry for about 30 years. We just hate rangers. 

37 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Does one Aberdeen fan speak for all Aberdeen fans?

Of course not, which is why I gave the opportunity for you to state you believed the opposite.

I have generalised believing it would be a sentiment shared. If that’s not the case, fair enough.

If you do indeed disagree, and in fact believe the tackle should be glorified and used to create tension, well…