Lichties vs Accies, Wednesday 9th February

Just now, Tattie36 said:

Well blame them then.

People that didn’t need one in the first place but were coerced into getting one. See if a vaccine stopped it spreading I would be first in line, but it quite clearly doesn’t, and I do not need one I am in my twenties and had it. Bad cold for me, so how about you let people make their own decisions and put the blame on politicians instead. The number of hospitalisations etc simply doesn’t justify what is happening just now and the rules that have been made.

And like I already said, if you believe any of these rules are having any kind of impact anyway then you simply don’t understand how people behave. They make zero sense and the percentage of the population that’s followed them word for word will be extremely minimal.

Closing businesses and stadiums etc etc just leads to people gathering with each other in other ways. The businesses and places that do remain open are usually packed out too. The mental gymnastics you must have to go through to believe that they make any kind of difference really does blow my mind.

Exactly why this horrible Hamilton team have went out of there way to get this game off(In my opinion).After the way they were carrying on in the last game they are rapidly becoming my new pet hate.
Hayshead2? More like Haysdickhead2 (In my opinion)

I'm not suggesting Hamilton are up to anything dodgy but if you're stuggling to get your first choice team together due to Covid/injuries, with a transfer window approaching and about to play the full-strength, rampant league leaders, what's stopping any team just claiming that they have a ton of players out "injured"?

Who's to know and how can the league enforce anything. "oh aye, well we did have 16 players available but Davie, Archie, Watty and Bob all got injured at training yesterday".

Edited by Tattie36

17 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I'm not suggesting Hamilton are up to anything dodgy but if you're stuggling to get your first choice team together due to Covid/injuries, with a transfer window approaching and about to play the full-strength, rampant league leaders, what's stopping any team just claiming that they have a ton of players out "injured"?

Who's to know and how can the league enforce anything. "oh aye, well we did have 16 players available but Davie, Archie, Watty and Bob all got injured at training yesterday".

Would the physio or club Dr not need to submit evidence that a player is not fit to play? If so I don't think they'd put their registration on the line by lying. That is of course if any proof of injury is required or whether the beaks just take the clubs word for it.

Edit: craigkillie beat me to it. 

Edited by Raithie

25 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

To be fair Accies have had loads of folk injured for about 3 years.

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

People that didn’t need one in the first place but were coerced into getting one. See if a vaccine stopped it spreading I would be first in line, but it quite clearly doesn’t, and I do not need one I am in my twenties and had it. Bad cold for me, so how about you let people make their own decisions and put the blame on politicians instead. The number of hospitalisations etc simply doesn’t justify what is happening just now and the rules that have been made.

And like I already said, if you believe any of these rules are having any kind of impact anyway then you simply don’t understand how people behave. They make zero sense and the percentage of the population that’s followed them word for word will be extremely minimal.

Closing businesses and stadiums etc etc just leads to people gathering with each other in other ways. The businesses and places that do remain open are usually packed out too. The mental gymnastics you must have to go through to believe that they make any kind of difference really does blow my mind.

Disagree on every single point here and some are just factually inaccurate not to mention wildly overstated.  The fact that every country in the world and the entire medical profession in the U.K. urge greater caution and enforced restrictions is not based  on the ‘zero sense’ observations of ignorant laymen.   The vast majority of the public have followed guidance.  The issue of infection rates, and likely surges with impact on NHS capacity is not mentioned (and that same NHS, staff depleted thu infection, long covid, is expected to handle the majority of non-covid admissions and treatments) - coping with the peaks..  The reason the U.K. Govt has not followed the devolved administrations is that B Johnston kowtows to the libertarian right faction of his own party’s MPs - based entirely on callous right wing ideology (the same one that pushed Brexit) and political calculus.

yes, I would maybe agree that the limitations imposed on sporting event attendance in Scotland and the other devolved nations  are maybe a little overstrict but I appreciate the application of the precautionary principle.  It’s always controversial where to draw the line.  No such limits apply in England but look at how the fixture! list has been decimated.  Football is still part of the entertainment industry and while tough - especially on younger people for whom this average all-age assessment may be less threatening - I’m quite satisfied with the assessment of overall risk to the general public, and the NHS and the guidance here.  I do not seriously believe any Govt takes these decisions lightly but perhaps you’d recall the Swedish experiment in 2020 when they were forced to reverse their ‘let it rip’ approach - ok the vaccine has changed the game but the impacts of omicron are still being studied so no definitive assessment is yet possible.

Sone winters, Dec/Jan games would be lost and of course in many leagues there are winter breaks.  I’d rather attend games but we’ve even got the live streaming alternative now so happy to see AFC have the opportunity to continue their current run whether I can attend or not.

One last point - those fans fortunate enough to attend need to make more noise. Far too many Arbroath are taciturn or maybe only become vocal at high points.  Make your voice heard even 500 can give the boost (and exert pressure on opposition and officials).  Your duty is clear

Edited by farflung lichtie

One last point - those fans fortunate enough to attend need to make more noise. Far too many Arbroath are taciturn or maybe only become vocal at high points.  Make your voice heard even 500 can give the boost (and exert pressure on opposition and officials).  Your duty is clear

The Arbroath home crowd have never been the most vocal in the league. Maybe it is the tight lipped taciturn nature some of us share. It has come and gone over the years. The dynamics of singing, chanting etc are interesting. Much depends on individual cheerleaders getting it going. The very lively and vocal support at away games is a totally different from the home crowd, several having warmed up on the bus.

4 hours ago, DUAFC said:

So you're OK then, great !!

What about older folk, or people with underlying health issues 

What about them? If they want a vaccine they can go and get one, the vast majority have. Me getting or not getting vaccinated doesn’t make a single bit of difference to any of these people. What’s your point?

6 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Disagree on every single point here and some are just factually inaccurate not to mention wildly overstated.  The fact that every country in the world and the entire medical profession in the U.K. urge greater caution and enforced restrictions is not based  on the ‘zero sense’ observations of ignorant laymen.   The vast majority of the public have followed guidance.  The issue of infection rates, and likely surges with impact on NHS capacity is not mentioned (and that same NHS, staff depleted thu infection, long covid, is expected to handle the majority of non-covid admissions and treatments) - coping with the peaks..  The reason the U.K. Govt has not followed the devolved administrations is that B Johnston kowtows to the libertarian right faction of his own party’s MPs - based entirely on callous right wing ideology (the same one that pushed Brexit) and political calculus.

yes, I would maybe agree that the limitations imposed on sporting event attendance in Scotland and the other devolved nations  are maybe a little overstrict but I appreciate the application of the precautionary principle.  It’s always controversial where to draw the line.  No such limits apply in England but look at how the fixture! list has been decimated.  Football is still part of the entertainment industry and while tough - especially on younger people for whom this average all-age assessment may be less threatening - I’m quite satisfied with the assessment of overall risk to the general public, and the NHS and the guidance here.  I do not seriously believe any Govt takes these decisions lightly but perhaps you’d recall the Swedish experiment in 2020 when they were forced to reverse their ‘let it rip’ approach - ok the vaccine has changed the game but the impacts of omicron are still being studied so no definitive assessment is yet possible.

Sone winters, Dec/Jan games would be lost and of course in many leagues there are winter breaks.  I’d rather attend games but we’ve even got the live streaming alternative now so happy to see AFC have the opportunity to continue their current run whether I can attend or not.

What did Sweden change???? 

https://twitter.com/jamesmelville/status/1475174401008152584?s=21

That Sweden? What about Florida and Texas then? Every single place regardless of whatever restrictions were or were not imposed followed a normal seasonal pattern. 

And your use of right wing ideology sums it all up. How is it a left wing v right wing thing. How is a government letting people make their own decisions right wing? How after looking at the numbers can you suggest that what he is doing is in any way callous thing? It’s basic common sense and if he sticks to it I will have so much respect for him and I cannot believe I am saying that. 

29 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What about them? If they want a vaccine they can go and get one, the vast majority have. Me getting or not getting vaccinated doesn’t make a single bit of difference to any of these people. What’s your point?

I don’t think it’s in anyone interest to keep a tedious argument about vaccines going but it must be said this is a load of ignorant nonsense. 

The vaccine has proven it reduces the risk of severe disease and also reduces the transmission, that benefits everybody in society.