God Save The Queen

Lex

On 08/06/2022 at 13:45, tamthebam said:

The Royal Mint replaces coinage all the time apparently- certainly worn or defaced coins. Of course your 1971 penny will have more valuable copper in it than your 2021 nickel penny. Elizabeth II coinage will remain in circulation as long as it's viable. I think I used to get George V florins as 10ps when I was young

Pillar boxes aren't replaced either- there's a VR wallbox down the road from me for example. Have a look at the pillar box next time you post such an old fashioned thing as a letter. You might see VR (Victoria), EVIIR (Edward VII), GR (George V), GVIR (George VI)

Certainly not much chance of finding ERII ones up here as they got vandalised or destroyed during the Pillar Box War. 

On 13/06/2022 at 00:23, Fullerene said:

Is discontinuing a specific 1p coin something to do with the saying "the penny dropped"?

Nah, it was to do with coin operated production machines. You waited for the penny to drop then you could operate the machine. It was coined (sorry) by the Daily Mirror in the 1930's.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Nah, it was to do with coin operated production machines. You waited for the penny to drop then you could operate the machine. It was coined (sorry) by the Daily Mirror in the 1930's.

Thanks for that.  I am glad the expression is inflation-proof.  

"He was struggling to make sense of what was happening but then suddenly the £4.25 dropped."

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Norway has a sovereign wealth fund for the money raised from it's offshore assets.

The UK gives a huge part of it's natural wealth to a family of inbreds in London.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/16/queen-seabed-rights-swell-value-5bn-auction-windfarm-plots-crown-estate

Norway has a king too, the previous incumbent was notorious for taking public transport and being a pretty normal guy (as normal as a hereditary head of state can be).

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Norway has a king too, the previous incumbent was notorious for taking public transport and being a pretty normal guy (as normal as a hereditary head of state can be).

Other European countries have Royal families but I couldn"t tell you if it was currently a king or a queen, how long it has been their turn or even their names.

A bit like asking "who is the President of Germany?"

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Other European countries have Royal families but I couldn"t tell you if it was currently a king or a queen, how long it has been their turn or even their names.

A bit like asking "who is the President of Germany?"

Most of them have regular jobs and don't suck from the public teet.

Ours are particularly cravenous.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 101 said:

Her son just scooping a million pounds in cash in shopping bags. Absolutely above board. I'm sure Coutts were delighted.

It’s more than that now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/25/prince-charles-is-said-to-have-been-given-3m-in-qatari-cash

Apparently it’s going to his charities. Sounds legit, any time I want to make a charitable donation I hand it  in cash in a suitcase (or hold-all) to a member of a royal family.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s more than that now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/25/prince-charles-is-said-to-have-been-given-3m-in-qatari-cash

Apparently it’s going to his charities. Sounds legit, any time I want to make a charitable donation I hand it  in cash in a suitcase (or hold-all) to a member of a royal family.

Yeh that's the official way to do it, isn't it?

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bit odd this 7 year old story just coming out days after he called the Rwanda people trafficking scheme "appalling". 

Shot across the bows.

Keep your mouth shut about our business or it'll be your son being crowned next.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/27/queen-secret-influence-laws-revealed-scottish-government-memo

Under an arcane mechanism known as Queen’s consent, the monarch is routinely given advance sight of proposed laws that could affect her personal property and public powers. Unlike the better-known procedure of royal assent, a formality that marks the moment when a bill becomes law, Queen’s consent must be sought before the relevant legislation can be approved by parliament.

The procedure, which operates in the UK, Scottish and Welsh parliaments, dictates that proposed laws cannot be implemented without the monarch’s approval when a bill might affect her public powers or private interests such as her privately owned estates at Balmoral and Sandringham.

Charlieboy's been at it too...

Prince Charles exploited a controversial procedure to compel government ministers to secretly change a proposed law to benefit his landed estate, according to documents uncovered by the Guardian.

Official papers unearthed in the National Archives reveal ministers in John Major’s government yielded to his demands amid fears that resisting the heir to the throne could spark a constitutional crisis.

Ministers backed down to “avoid a major row” with the prince, effectively allowing him to force the hand of the elected government.

The disclosure of the documents provides further evidence of how the royal family has used the secretive procedure known as Queen’s consent to alter legislation to benefit their private interests.

following the retaliatory exposé in response to him criticising the governments rwanda policy, the Prince of Wales has promised not to accept enormous bags of cash from despots ever again and thats the end of NEVER MIND THAT SHIT YON BLACK PRINCESS COW WHO STOLE OUR SUSPICIOUSLY GINGER PRINCE SOMETHING SOMETHING