God Save The Queen

Lex

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm hoping that after an awful barbecue accident, current tenth in line Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi becomes Queen.

Hang on, my Wikipedia shows her as 11th, have i missed some exciting news and do we get a day off? 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Hang on, my Wikipedia shows her as 11th, have i missed some exciting news and do we get a day off? 

Has Harry been kicked off the list?

4 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I'm remembering something about some Scots placing stamps with the Queen's head upside down on envelopes as an act of defiance. Can't remember any details though. Probably ended up in the Tower. 

Sending them to Blackpool is a bit harsh.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

How much do you think it will cost to replace things like post boxes and money with her face on? I can see post boxes staying the way they are, can't remember the last time I used one.

I also remember as a boy getting the old 5p shilling with king George on and that was 25 years after his death 

The Royal Mint replaces coinage all the time apparently- certainly worn or defaced coins. Of course your 1971 penny will have more valuable copper in it than your 2021 nickel penny. Elizabeth II coinage will remain in circulation as long as it's viable. I think I used to get George V florins as 10ps when I was young

Pillar boxes aren't replaced either- there's a VR wallbox down the road from me for example. Have a look at the pillar box next time you post such an old fashioned thing as a letter. You might see VR (Victoria), EVIIR (Edward VII), GR (George V), GVIR (George VI)

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

The Royal Mint replaces coinage all the time apparently- certainly worn or defaced coins. Of course your 1971 penny will have more valuable copper in it than your 2021 nickel penny. Elizabeth II coinage will remain in circulation as long as it's viable. I think I used to get George V florins as 10ps when I was young

Pillar boxes aren't replaced either- there's a VR wallbox down the road from me for example. Have a look at the pillar box next time you post such an old fashioned thing as a letter. You might see VR (Victoria), EVIIR (Edward VII), GR (George V), GVIR (George VI)

Aye there's a George one down the hill from me 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The old pennies used to be just about indestructible! I grew up in the 1960s and it was common to get Victoria, Edward vii and George vi pennies - I was a bit of a geek in those days (aye, "in those days" 😁) . There were interesting variants to look out for.  I think the 1902 ones has a "high" or "low" tide behind Britannia and the 1918 and 1919 had a "h" or "kn" in the date panel to signify which mint they came from. There was a 1912 h as well.

Never wasted my childhood, no siree.... 

22 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The old pennies used to be just about indestructible! I grew up in the 1960s and it was common to get Victoria, Edward vii and George vi pennies - I was a bit of a geek in those days (aye, "in those days" 😁) . There were interesting variants to look out for.  I think the 1902 ones has a "high" or "low" tide behind Britannia and the 1918 and 1919 had a "h" or "kn" in the date panel to signify which mint they came from. There was a 1912 h as well.

Never wasted my childhood, no siree.... 

then there was the 1933 one…

6 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

How much do you think it will cost to replace things like post boxes and money with her face on? I can see post boxes staying the way they are, can't remember the last time I used one.

I also remember as a boy getting the old 5p shilling with king George on and that was 25 years after his death 

I remember having coins with Edward V11 on them. I think coins just keep circulating until they wear out.

On 08/06/2022 at 17:10, Jacksgranda said:

I remember having coins with Edward V11 on them. I think coins just keep circulating until they wear out.

Or get replaced. The old two bob bits with King George on them were still kicking about in the 90s IIRC.

Re the post boxes, likewise there's a GR one along the road from me in Paisley. 

Good on Charles the Younger for speaking out on the forced removal of people to Africa.

However, I fear that he is rowing against the tide of the British State.

After the second world war Chinese men, family men with local wives and families, were Disappeared

Plus ça change

24 minutes ago, sophia said:

Good on Charles the Younger for speaking out on the forced removal of people to Africa.

However, I fear that he is rowing against the tide of the British State.

After the second world war Chinese men, family men with local wives and families, were Disappeared

Plus ça change

Hmm

I'd be much much more impressed if he did speak out rather than allow these reports of private conversations to be dismissed as rumour. 

He had no problem writing to health secretary John Reid to get homeopathy available on the NHS so one hopes his spidery letter writing skills are being deployed here too. 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hmm

I'd be much much more impressed if he did speak out rather than allow these reports of private conversations to be dismissed as rumour. 

He had no problem writing to health secretary John Reid to get homeopathy available on the NHS so one hopes his spidery letter writing skills are being deployed here too. 

I had managed to forget John Reid ever existed.  I almost red dotted you for reminding me he did.

31 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Your humble and obedient servant sir.

If there was ever a faux hard man politician it was John Reid.  Him and Steve Baker are well matched in both personality and, likely, politics.