God Save The Queen

Lex

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Still got my original, bought as a 13 year old from Listen records in Paisley High St.

Sadly not one of the ultra rare 1st pressings with the missing "Submission" included as a separate one sided 7" single.

As a very recent habitué of Amersham's record shop this is the sort of shite they come away with.

Me?  I just love playing records  like I love my olive oil.  Don't give a f**k if it's the first pressing or not.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I will be honest.  I find shite like this embarrassing AF.

"our House" aka "One's House" from Madness was sort-of witty a decade ago but the rest leaves me cold.

It's typical of the shite that you'll get on Jools Holland's "Later" or "Hootenanny" on Hogmanay.

I'd have more respect for our arch monarchists if they actually supported a true British monarchy and the restoration of the Stuart line rather then these foreign usurpers.

The Queen is a direct descendant of the Stuart line, all the way back to Mary Queen of Scots.
Interesting documentary from 2012 was repeated on BBC Scotland tonight ‘Elizabeth, Queen of Scots’ where that and other parts of her deep connection to Scotland and the Scottish people were discussed.
Sleazy Salmond was on arguing why Scotland should keep the Monarchy if they were to go on and win the referendum in 2014, even if Charles should become King. Forgot how much of a committed royalist he was.

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

The Queen is a direct descendant of the Stuart line, all the way back to Mary Queen of Scots.
Interesting documentary from 2012 was repeated on BBC Scotland tonight ‘Elizabeth, Queen of Scots’ where that and other parts of her deep connection to Scotland and the Scottish people were discussed.
Sleazy Salmond was on arguing why Scotland should keep the Monarchy if they were to go on and win the referendum in 2014, even if Charles should become King. Forgot how much of a committed royalist he was.

Same old...

pstugeon.jpeg.ab2ec58bb963eacd78a1b871cea4ea3c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Well, you would kind of expect such a documentary to cover that.

It is clear that she is regarded (rightly) as primarily an English monarch - hence why she is erroneously referred to as Elizabeth II of Scotland.

Even the Economist referred to her reign being unusually long for an 'English monarch'. None of this is surprising, the monarchy should be view through a dual historical lense of Scottish and English monarchs (especially given it was the former who unified the crowns) but of course it isn't, it's an English thing occasionally paying lip service to Scotland. The English monarchy is the lineal history, the Scottish one is some b*****d sideshow that isn't even referred to.

Obviously, as a commited republican the existence of any monarchy is anthema, but it's depressing when I know more about the history than committed royalists who seem to just drink the kool-aid and view the whole thing as just a pullout from OK magazine.

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

It is clear that she is regarded (rightly) as primarily an English monarch - hence why she is erroneously referred to as Elizabeth II of Scotland.

Even the Economist referred to her reign being unusually long for an 'English monarch'. None of this is surprising, the monarchy should be view through a dual historical lense of Scottish and English monarchs (especially given it was the former who unified the crowns) but of course it isn't, it's an English thing occasionally paying lip service to Scotland. The English monarchy is the lineal history, the Scottish one is some b*****d sideshow that isn't even referred to.

Obviously, as a commited republican the existence of any monarchy is anthema, but it's depressing when I know more about the history than committed royalists who seem to just drink the kool-aid and view the whole thing as just a pullout from OK magazine.

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

It wasn't that interesting the first time...

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Yeah, my bad. I forgot how much these freaks like marrying their own cousins.

1 hour ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Yeah, my bad. I forgot how much these freaks like marrying their own cousins.

The house of Hanover was started by George l, who's mother was Sophia of Hanover.  Sophia was the grand daughter of James Vl of Scotland and great grand daughter of Mary Queen of Scots. It just went through the female side of the family instead of the male, the pesky patriarchy means this changes the name of the line.

That's on her fathers side of course, on her mothers side the connection to Scotland is much more recent. Her mother was born to a Scottish family and grew up in Scotland. It's really no wonder that devout nationalists like Salmond want to keep the monarchy in place.

23 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Aye, I think we all have a conscience with or without Christianity, which the bible even alludes to.

My take on the Christian faith is that it's about the holy spirit transforming your heart.  Whilst most values aren't exclusive to Christianity (although a few are), we see the world differently and have different motivations for our actions.

I find that since I became 'born again', I stopped feeling the same feelings of revenge, jealousy, greed as well as many others.  You look at money, relationships, work, holidays etc differently.  

That'll probably seem like white noise to most on here, but it's how I feel.. mental as it may sound :)

It's no worse than the rest of your shite.

On 06/06/2022 at 02:41, Satoshi said:

She did have a Scottish Coronation. It's been forgotten about and was a bit controversial at the time as she turned up in fairly plain clothes compared to the pomp of Westminster.

Nationalist John McCormack pursued a Court case at the time over the use of the title "Elizabeth II" as there had never been an Elizabeth I of Scotland. Presiding judge Lord Cooper ruled that it was up to the Monarch to call themselves what they wanted.

In 1953 when Pillar boxes were introduced with EIIR on them in Scotland the Roman  numerals "II" were often chiseled off by disgruntled folk. One pillar box was even blown up in that hotbed of radicals, The Inch in Edinburgh.

The EIIR boxes were removed and Scottish pillar boxes dating from 1953 tend just to have "ER" on them although I did spot an EIIR one fairly recently in Scotland but I can't remember where 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

She did have a Scottish Coronation. It's been forgotten about and was a bit controversial at the time as she turned up in fairly plain clothes compared to the pomp of Westminster.

Nationalist John McCormack pursued a Court case at the time over the use of the title "Elizabeth II" as there had never been an Elizabeth I of Scotland. Presiding judge Lord Cooper ruled that it was up to the Monarch to call themselves what they wanted.

In 1953 when Pillar boxes were introduced with EIIR on them in Scotland the Roman  numerals "II" were often chiseled off by disgruntled folk. One pillar box was even blown up in that hotbed of radicals, The Inch in Edinburgh.

The EIIR boxes were removed and Scottish pillar boxes dating from 1953 tend just to have "ER" on them although I did spot an EIIR one fairly recently in Scotland but I can't remember where 

How much do you think it will cost to replace things like post boxes and money with her face on? I can see post boxes staying the way they are, can't remember the last time I used one.

I also remember as a boy getting the old 5p shilling with king George on and that was 25 years after his death 

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There was a bit about this on QI back in the Stephen Fry days. A decision was made that future monarchs would universally have the title of whichever nation had the most with that name.

Imagine giving a single f**k about whether the Head of State says they're the first, second, or ninety-fourth person with that name to hold the position, while they're allowed to hoard vast portions of the nation's wealth, land, and property due to the belief that they're from a bloodline hand-picked by a sky fairy. And, as it turns out, personally vets legislation drawn up by the democratically-elected government to make sure it doesn't feature anything that might negatively affect her interests.